“Best room service ever. Parking is a pain. Smoking rooms.”

Park Plaza Nottingham
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Surrey
“Best room service ever. Parking is a pain. Smoking rooms.”
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Had superior room on a good deal, smoking room. In the middle of the one way system, a real pain if you don't know the city. Set the sat-nav for St James car park, the hotel is opposite. Room service for the PanAsian restaurant on-site was excellent. Standard RS menu is very boring and LDL laden. Room service breakfast with excessive rom charge was late and not good value. Superior room on first floor, next to the very noisy air conditioners on the roof outside. Hotel must be aware because on my 2nd night, there were earplugs provided!
Nice touch - chocs, and nibbles provided on arrival, shame they weren't either cleared away or replaced for the second night.
Efficient reception. In room wifi expensive, but free with purchase of a drink in reception area. I had a reduced rate.

Room Tip: Rooms good, if you manage to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Room service from our award winning Chino Latino Restaurant.

We do offer a Valet Parking service as well as the option to park at the NCP, our guests can pull up their car on St James Street and a Valet driver will be available to park your car in a privately owned car park.

We are one of the very few Hotels who offer smoking rooms in Nottingham I am pleased that you were glad to have one although they are all located on the first floor.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Stay from Sunday, 13 January 2013 - 14 January 2013. Room 414:
Outdoor temperature in Nottingham around 0 degree Celsius - inside room temperature very similar to that.
Nearby the bed I noticed two pairs of ear plugs - not knowing what that could mean. When it came to sleep I learnt the lesson.

Very noisy room (main road, windows obviously not closing air tightly). More noise even occurred from the air condition fan - which stopped from time to time and needed to be switched on manually from time to time again.
I decided not to use ear plugs. I had to get up early and I needed to hear the sound of my alarm clock.

Bathroom was not connected to AC - taking a shower was really a challenge.
During the next day AC was operated permanently at 30 degrees Celsius (a hotel's spare card needed to be inserted into the room's main electric device) - the bathroom still was cold.
If you like adventure trips - stay at Park Plaza Nottingham.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your review.
I was sorry to hear that you did have a great stay with us due to the temperature and location of room.
During the winter months we have made every effort to make our guests feel comfortable and warm. By doing this we have been pre-carding bedrooms on occasions when it is so cold outside so that our rooms are much warmer upon arrival. I am sorry if this was not the case for you on your first night and I hope that your second night was more comfortable as you mentioned you left the key in all day.
In terms of the allocation of room, please contact me directly as you did not find this room to be suitable for you. I can update you details to ensure you get a quieter location on your next stay.
Kind Regards
Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Room was spacious and clean, with good shower and easily controlled room temperature. Location very central. good variety at breakfast. also has gym on site which was good enough for short. Will use again.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the hotel. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed our modern and spacious bedrooms as well as our breakfast and our facilities.
As you enjoyed the location as well I trust we will be seeing you again.
Once again thank for your review
Best wishes
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Well located and well presented. Near to trams links. Large room/ large en-suite with clean towels and plenty of hot water. Very clean and remarkably quite considering city centre location. No actual parking at the hotel but valet availble and there is subsidised 24 hour parking availble in a secure car par literally 50 meters away. Staff are polite, courteous and happy to help.

My only (hypercritical) criticism. Old style TV, no freeview. That aside still highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Hotel and you found the Hotel to be in a good location and the staff to be courteous and polite.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

Paid 65 got a basic room as was working in Nottingham
Hotel is on maid Marian way, don't drive too fast as if you miss it you'll have to go all the way down to broad marsh roundabout to come back
No parking. When checking in you have to put the car on hazards on a busy dual carriageway and hope you don't get a ticket
Valet offered at 15 quid expensive but easy they also discount on the local ncp 8 quid I think per 24 hours
Didn't eat there as my rate was room only they seem to plug their restaurant a lot no idea how good or bad it is
Room
Tiny really small. I could have touched either side of the room walls from lying in the bed
A little dated, old tv and curtains that didn't work too well there was a really annoying gap in the window so the room was freezing
Saying thattherecwas a air con and heater that worked a treat the pillows were awesome and I had a great sleep
Complimentary ear buds I was next to the lift shaft and never needed then which I was surprised about as I normally get really over sensitive over stuff like that but it was not an issue
Overall a great location but if I was on a romantic stay or with a partner it would have been far to small and dated - lone male travellers fine and check in out was gone although out could have been quicker

O yea one more thing
The bathroom room was about 12 inches from the end of my bed, not a problem but the bathroom door was made of frosted glass - so early morning light came right through and shon on me waking me up from a great night sleep pretty stupid design considering there are black out blinds on the window but no protection on the bathroom door - so it cancels each other out

• Stayed January 2013
It is fair to stay we have some rooms smaller than others. Just a tip if you stay with us again, although it is tricky to pull up outside because of the bus lane restrictions you can always pull into St James street for the Valet service which is easier and you will feel less rushed.
I am please you found the room to of a comfortable temperature and the pillows were comfortable.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Good location, got a good deal through LateRooms (half price - to be fair wouldn't have liked to have paid £90), nice big room and modern bathroom with free shower gel/shampoo. Shame about the noise from the street, but that comes with the location I suppose! Minibar extremely overpriced.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and you found the location of the Hotel to be good and the rooms to be spacious. We can’t hide the fact that we are a city centre Hotel and can incur some noise from the streets nearby. When booking with us again please request for a quiet location and we will endeavour to meet your needs.
East Mids UK
Reviewed 2 January 2013

The Good:
Reduced price parking at local NCP Multi Storey (Cost £17.43 for 2 days)
Food at evening event
Bar - great atmosphere
Service - friendly & professional
Meeting facilities - good rooms and coffee & snacks outside
The Bad:
Car Park is across a dual carriageway. I know Nottingham quite well, but it is not easy to find. Put 'Rutland Street' in the sat nav and you will get to it. Although discounted, I still resent paying to park when I stay at a hotel.
Bedroom had no proper cutains, just the net ones and I think when you have the lights on people can see in, so that felt uncomfortable even though I was on a higher floor.
Although the bathroom was nice enough, the room was nothing special at all.
There is a building site next to the hotel, so it is a bit of a mess there at the moment

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the facilities at the Hotel and you found the team to be friendly and professional.
I am sorry to hear that you struggled to find the NCP car park; we do offer a valet service a driver is available until 10pm to take away your car to a privately owned secure car park charges of £15 per night do apply so the NCP is the cheaper option.
in terms of the curtains some guests think we do not have curtains, only net in the room but we do in fact have black out curtains at the back of the net curtains.
There is a building site next to the hotel at present which is causing no disruption to guests at present, the positive to this is that once the project is complete we will inherited some parking of our own for the Hotel.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel soon.