“Good basic hotel ; value for money”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
Ranked #46 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Good basic hotel ; value for money”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I agree with Philfromhull's review. Visited Nottingham to watch cricket match. Slept very well every night. Vegetarian breakfast enough that I did not need to eat again until early evening. I don't want luxury ; am uncomfortable with it and thus suited me perfectly. I don't spend much time in a room so as long as I sleep well, can make a cup of tea and have a decent shower, I am happy. I see there are critical remarks re the shower. I found hot water took a long time coming through but was good once it did.

I came by train and there is a good bus service three minutes walk from the station. The vicinity is short of good eating places I found. A good Indian restaurant 10 minutes walk away but otherwise all takeaways . After enjoying two Indian meals, I ate in the centre the other two days and got the bus back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DesP257

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Thai first
Hull, England
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

There are so many positives about this little place. I came alone to help our daughter decorate and was given asmall twin room as a single at a great price. Room was warm, clean, nicely decorated with nice little ensuite. I had a good, quiet night's sleep (Thursday night). The breakfast was better than many big hotels we've stayed in with food cooked freshly but quickly to order. There is parking on site. Staff were courteous and aimed to please.
I do not understand some of the critical reviews of this hotel and similar on Tripadvisor. Some people seem to be completely deluded and think that an attractive priced, little hotel like this should be like the Cafe Royal. There must be some negatives here but, not looking to find unnecessary problems, I didn't come across any. We will stay here again next time we visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank philwfromhull
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights over Christmas and was very disappointed,,,it started off well,,nice welcome shown to room and was given another hair dryer because the one in the room was broken and I'd forgotten mine,we made tea/coffee then went to visit family as it was Christmas Eve
Woke up Christmas mornin made a drink couldn't have a shower because there was no hot water then went back to family came back later in the evenin and the room hadn't been touched,no tea/coffee or milk and no shops open,,,woke up boxin day enough hot water for my shower poor husband was a quick in out then we went out again,returned later and room still hadn't been touched but we did manage to buy coffee and milk from the shop,,,Friday we woke up went down for breakfast and that was when I managed to tell them about the room and we were shown a phone number stuck to a wall and was told to ring it if we needed anything but as we were about to leave it was too little too late
On a plus side the bed was comfy the 1 breakfast we had was nice and it was cheap considering the time of year

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed here for 1 night and was I glad it was only 1! Where do I start...
We had a triple room and I moved all the beds together to make one big bed, there was what could only be described as nail cuttings behind the bed, thick layers of dust on the skirting boards and a lipstick under one of the beds! The curtains didn't even fit the window-there was a large gap!
To be fair, the shower room was clean and the landlady was very attentive at breakfast.
I wouldn't consider this hotel again!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank starwarsquarter

Travellers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Newcastle uopn Tyne
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This was a very good price (£69 for 3 people) so I didn't expect 5 star surroundings and I didn't get them. It was okay though. The room was clean, nice clean bedding and comfy beds and breakfast was not too bad at all.
Around the edges of the bath was grubby but nothing to make a big deal of.
Good location fro central Nottingham where we were attending my sons Graduation, ideal for the purpose

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Chester, England
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Group of 7 of stayed here for one night ahead of rowing event (20 min drive to Holme Pierrepoint). We booked two rooms - family room and triple. The price given on website for the family room was for three people staying in it - so although there are beds for four people we had to pay a £15 supplement for the fourth person. On average the price was just over £19 each for bed and breakfast for the seven of us and at that price your expectations should not be high!

So the decor was a bit dated and parts could do with modernising and sprucing up but overall the room and bathroom were clean and we had no disturbance from other guests and as our rooms were in the back annexe we did not have any road noise either. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Breakfast was fine - buffet style cereals, muffins etc and cooked breakfast to order so perfect for rowers!

Staff - friendly and helpful. On booking, the receptionist offered to bring time of breakfast forward by an hour from usual time so we did not miss out which was kind and helpful.

Parking was in the hotel car park at the front and felt reasonably safe.

So if you are looking for a luxury, romantic get away this is probably not the place but if you are looking for just a cheap bed for the night then this is the place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Arlesey
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed here last night, we were going into town for a family party. When we checked in we were giving a warm welcome and shown to our rooms and given good instructions of where everything was and what to do if we needed anything. The rooms were very basic but clean. For us this room was just used I sleep in so was perfect, we had tea and coffee facilities for the morning and when we went down to breakfast the service was above and beyond what I would expect for the price of this hotel! We were given a full English which was lovely, juice and tea and coffee which was constantly being refilled. There was a choice of cereals, fruits, pastries and yogurts! This room cost me and my boyfriend £45 for this you should expect a basic room, and for the service and breakfast I would say well worth it for an over night stop

• Stayed January 2013