“still not received our promised refund”
Review of Commodore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nottingham
Commodore Hotel
Ranked #46 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Dunstable, United Kingdom
“still not received our promised refund”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had a very bad time here, after many phone calls, texts and false promises no refund received as owners promised. The owner said, if we AMENDED our review only then would he pay us! Our belongings were partly unpacked when we left our room to go out, we left the key as instructed. Upon our return, the night porter, who was fast asleep, we had a job to wake him, was unable to find our key. We suggested using a master key, and we went to our room to find it already occupied by other people. Our belongings had been RE-PACKED by someone and moved to reception under the small counter where anyone could have taken them as the porter was, I repeat, asleep, he eventually saw them! He still did not know where we would be sleeping. After an hour he then realised we had been moved to the room next door to the one we first had, no explanation or reason why and we still do not know why. Breakfast.....3 dishes between 20 people, 2 of those dishes were cracked, so no cereal for us. The fried breakfast was cooked by a chap wearing a wool hat, he never had kitchen attire on at all. There was no yoghurt, fresh fruit, cake etc as advertised on the web at time of booking. What hotel would touch people's personal belongings, what hotel would move people without reason or explanation, what hotel would have a chef cooking in outdoor clothing, what hotel offers a 6 course breakfast and only give you one, what hotel???..The Commadore....and they have the cheek to ask us to amend our Trip Advisor before we get a small refund, I dont think so! They have said that our remarks has hit their business, what do they really expect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank eileen b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Thai first
Taunton
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I'm not very hard to please when I'm booking a cheap hotel but this place is simply not good enough to even consider staying in again for several reasons. Reception is hardly ever manned (had to ring to find someone when I checked in) so I didn't leave my key after my first night as I thought that would be simpler. When I got back I discovered that the room had not been serviced, apparently this was because they had no master key! First night I had one small towel and a bathmat but no bath towel, after that I had just a bath towel left. The bed linen and towels seem to be washed and dried on the premises which explains the drier lines outside the hotel, where everything seemed to get covered in dust. No hot water after about 9:30 pm. Location is not good, quite a long way outside Nottingham and not much nearby. If the room rates were cheap I'd not be complaining but when I'm charged hotel rates I expect something a bit better than this.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MTFTaunton

Travellers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Rushden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Checked in on Saturday 28th June by Gavin, check in was quick and efficient. We were informed that all keys had to be left with reception whilst we were off the premises, which we adhered to. Left our belongings in our rooms and went out for the afternoon and evening. We returned at approx11.30pm, the night porter was fast asleep in the chair, the front door wide open to any one wishing to enter the premises. We asked for our keys for rooms 11 and 15, the guy was unable to find the keys for room 15 and looked for the keys for 3/4 of an hour. He apologised and said it was his first shift and was new to the hotel, then he made a call and was told where the skeleton keys were, at this point he went off only to return to tell us that someone was asleep in one of our rooms! Our luggage from room 15 had been removed and left behind the reception desk, where the night porter was asleep! It transpired that we had been moved to room 16 for what reason we do not know as both these rooms 15 & 16 are identical with triple beds in each . My parents took room 16 as downstairs, this morning there was a garden snail in their bedroom on the ceiling along with a spider and cobweb in the bathroom. My parents were very angry that their personal belongings had been removed without notice and their consent, then to have an issue with the keys as well, not good.
Breakfast...where do I start, there is a photo on trip advisor of the breakfast table ,shows yoghurts, fresh fruit, cake, cereal, bread and toasting facilities and reading previous reviews from other guests who had stayed at this hotel, most say how good the breakfast is. What we got was...a full English breakfast which was okay, when I asked for cereal bowls, the guy, which by the way, was the night porter from the previous evening, told me he could only find 3 cereal bowls, 2 of which were chipped!! So any paying guests who wanted cereal would have to had the cereal in relay!! as I counted 15 people in the breakfast room this morning. We had 1 teaspoon between 4 of us on our table.
Upon checkout we asked to see the manager, and was told that no one would be able until 10.00am this morning, we decided to leave anyway we didn't want to hang around. We rang up when we got home at 12.30pm, to be told that no manager available today so we spoke to Gavin who checked us in yesterday only to be told the following...The business had just been taken over 2 days previously, he would inform Mr Singh, the new owner, of all the complaints that he had received that day, not only form us but other guests too. The business cards on display were still in the name of the previous owner, so therefore Mr Singh is advertising this hotel with someone else's business cards on display, is this allowed ? Gavin is asking Mr Singh to telephone us when he arrives in his hotel today. Surely, any new owner of a business would be on site to ensure that his business is run correctly and efficiently, and to ensure the guests were adequately treated. Last and not least... please note Mr Singh, your kitchen staff whilst cooking should not be wearing a woolley hat and surely should be wearing the correct kitchen attire, when we spoke to this guy, who cooked our breakfast this morning, he told us that he wasn't aware of the pictures on trip advisor and would point these out to the new owner Mr Singh, as what we received as a breakfast is not what is shown in some of the pictures on the trip advisor, However you display in your window a trip advisor rating sticker, therefore you surely must know that people will look at this web site to see what other travellers have to say. If your business wasn't ready for paying customer's this weekend,as you have only just taken over this business two days ago, my suggestion is you should waited until you had everything in place before hand, and not opened for business until such a time you had completed an inventory and brought replacements cereals bowls along with any thing else you need. If you knew you had paying guest coming on your first weekend of opening surely you would be doing some sort of inventory to see was required to meet the needs of your paying guests, why was such basics not available? Please note, although reasonably priced, we do expect basis such crockery and cutlery to be available for use. At the time of writing this review 18.45pm, please note fellow travellers Mr Singh has still not contacted either myself or my parents with either an apology or explanation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank tanyab1965
yorkshire
Reviewed 12 June 2014

When in Nottingham stop in Ramada normally or crowne plaza (every tueday night) but full this week so with trepidation stopped at the commodore, good old fashioned b& b, staff couldnt have been more helpful, breakfast great free parking, saved £50 pounds! dont expect luxery but a little gem for accommodation on the cheap

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank yorkshirejohn
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I agree with Philfromhull's review. Visited Nottingham to watch cricket match. Slept very well every night. Vegetarian breakfast enough that I did not need to eat again until early evening. I don't want luxury ; am uncomfortable with it and thus suited me perfectly. I don't spend much time in a room so as long as I sleep well, can make a cup of tea and have a decent shower, I am happy. I see there are critical remarks re the shower. I found hot water took a long time coming through but was good once it did.

I came by train and there is a good bus service three minutes walk from the station. The vicinity is short of good eating places I found. A good Indian restaurant 10 minutes walk away but otherwise all takeaways . After enjoying two Indian meals, I ate in the centre the other two days and got the bus back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DesP257
Hull, England
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

There are so many positives about this little place. I came alone to help our daughter decorate and was given asmall twin room as a single at a great price. Room was warm, clean, nicely decorated with nice little ensuite. I had a good, quiet night's sleep (Thursday night). The breakfast was better than many big hotels we've stayed in with food cooked freshly but quickly to order. There is parking on site. Staff were courteous and aimed to please.
I do not understand some of the critical reviews of this hotel and similar on Tripadvisor. Some people seem to be completely deluded and think that an attractive priced, little hotel like this should be like the Cafe Royal. There must be some negatives here but, not looking to find unnecessary problems, I didn't come across any. We will stay here again next time we visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank philwfromhull
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights over Christmas and was very disappointed,,,it started off well,,nice welcome shown to room and was given another hair dryer because the one in the room was broken and I'd forgotten mine,we made tea/coffee then went to visit family as it was Christmas Eve
Woke up Christmas mornin made a drink couldn't have a shower because there was no hot water then went back to family came back later in the evenin and the room hadn't been touched,no tea/coffee or milk and no shops open,,,woke up boxin day enough hot water for my shower poor husband was a quick in out then we went out again,returned later and room still hadn't been touched but we did manage to buy coffee and milk from the shop,,,Friday we woke up went down for breakfast and that was when I managed to tell them about the room and we were shown a phone number stuck to a wall and was told to ring it if we needed anything but as we were about to leave it was too little too late
On a plus side the bed was comfy the 1 breakfast we had was nice and it was cheap considering the time of year

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple