“Not the best PI i've stayed in”

Premier Inn Nottingham City Centre (Goldsmith Street) Hotel
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I stayed at this Premier inn, Goldsmith Street, Nottingham while on business one Thursday in March, I have now stayed now in dozens of Premier inns in the past year & felt I should review this particular one.
The room was of a good size, however it was a little grubby, for example the side table was sticky as it had a spilt drink that had dried so I had to clean that up myself! Ewww

I had room 204 which is on the first floor at the front so I could hear the trams rumbling past every 5/10 minutes, also that room is right by the lift so lots of people traffic walking past, so not ideal!
The room did have triple glazing but I could still hear the outside noise.

The hotel is in a good central location, but because of the above I would not stay here again & will try another PI elsewhere in the town.

PI do operate a “good night guarantee” so I could have used that however upon check out I was asked if I had a good stay etc, but in true British fashion & replied” Yes very well thank you!”
If I didn’t have an appointment that morning I would probably have raised my points, but I’m not the kind of person to complain, I will simply not go back.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from trams!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Nottingham City Centre (Goldsmith Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have a quiet stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,420)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We've stayed in a Premier Inn hotel before so knew what to expect - clean, comfortable, no frills, low cost.

Unfortunately we couldn't check in early on the Friday (12:30), but they had no problem taking in the bags while we had a wander around the city centre. When I went back later (2:30) the designated room still wasn't ready and although the receptionist began to try to allocate another one I said I would wait and had a coffee in the Costa/hotel bar. More on this pleasant receptionist later...(I can't remember her name!)...to be fair, most staff we encountered were professional and good-natured.

Room and bathroom were adequate - large comfortable bed as usual in this chain, extra pillows on top of the "wardrobe" (hanging area!). However, it would have been good to have one or two additional sockets as there were only 2, one for TV. (would also have liked toilet roll replenished the following day rather than folding a point into the less-than-half-roll that was left!).

It was a busy weekend with groups and families. I've read that some people had an issue with noise but I did not encounter this, thankfully. Room was a little stuffy so we left the window open and didn't notice much outside noise - no cars as the location is on a tram line. Breakfast was fine, vegetarian sausages available on request - good coffee from what I think was a Costa machine (so often these budget hotels only offer swill!). The dining area is not very big, I would imagine it gets busy at peak weekend late breakfast times but we got in ahead of the rush!

My boyfriend was attending a training seminar on Sunday so we asked on Saturday if we could get a late check-out. The first person didn't know, thankfully the second person said yes but that we'd have to check the following morning due to housekeeping rotas etc -- £15 to stay up to 2pm (I think?) and £25 to stay up to 6pm....

Unfortunately on the Saturday night, I got food poisoning (NOT from the hotel!) and was very sick. I managed to get downstairs in the morning for some tea and dry toast and stopped at reception to book the late check-out. Staff had been changed around and the next person said no we had to go at 12...I nearly cried! But thankfully the dark-haired girl from Friday arrived and sorted everything out for us - I was so glad to be able to rest and try to recover for those extra few hours. 6pm rolled around and they kindly called a cab for us -- FYI the fare to East Midlands Airport is around £21.

So while it wound up being more expensive than anticipated (the SkyLink bus which is only 2 tram stops away is far cheaper than a cab!) I was really glad to have the additional comfort while I was ill. It's not a luxury hotel for an extravagant romantic getaway and it doesn't pretend to be, as the title says: it does exactly what it says on the tin!

I would stay here again and I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stopped here 14th - 16th march with my partner. Arrived at this hotel a bit wary after seeing it's right next to nottingham uni but we had a fab weekend break. There's a tram stop right outside or it's a five minute walk to Victoria centre so close enough to shop and then drop your bags back off. We ate dinner the first night in the hotel an it was lovely. We had breakfast both mornings that was absolutely delicious. Service was spot on, everyone was so friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. Rooms were spacious, clean and tidy. We didn't experience any noise like other reviews have mentioned, all was quiet for us. Can't comment on car-parking as we caught the train. On a whole we had a super weekend and will be booking this hotel next time we're back in nottingham. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I'll be honest....
I laughed when I saw this hotel rated as number 2 in Nottingham but it suited us for an overnight stay when we went to see a show.

But I was wrong, so to put the record straight...

Great location. Right on tram line so a few minutes into the city centre if you time it right or 10 if you walk if not, but far enough out not to be noisy at night. It is right opposite the Uni so might be noisier in the week.

Great staff. Friendly and helpful from the reception to cleaners.

Hotel & Room, clean and well maintained. A good nights sleep as promised!

Great breakfast. The wife said it was the best hotel breakfast she had eaten. Well presented and stocked with fresh food.

The only negative thing I could say was the car park is small but there is further parking nearby, so not really an issue.

An enjoyable stay, we will return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We booked at the last minute and needed something central so did not do any research. The reasons that this did not suit us are therefore probably our own fault for choosing the wrong place to stay.

The positive are the staff, the good value for money breakfast and the bed.

TV was small. Bathroom extractor fan noisy. Only 30 minutes a day of wifi. Limited tea and coffee in room. Car parking expensive and nearer to other hotels than this one. Getting to and from car park to hotel requires going around a long one way system.

Trent University buildings are all around it, the tram stop is just out the front and one of the major night spots is just the other side of the tram stop. I probably do not need to say very much more about the noise particularly between 4 and 5am when a lot of the people leave the club, including those staying, all seem to need to shout good night to each other.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs or stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wildlifewatcher
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Nottingham City Centre (Goldsmith Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have a quiet stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments has been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Hotel is true to brand with decent accommodation allowing a relaxing break.

Chargeable car parking is first come first served but once in appeared well controlled

Minor gripe, advertised WiFi is not free but chargeable after first half hour. Only £3 a day is far from expensive just an annoyance. More punitive than lucrative

We were lucky to pick the first decent weekend of the year for our weekend away. Hotel is just a short stroll from the main centre allowing easy exploring. Plenty to see and do around city.

Local area is very university centric so plenty of young people about but these were never a problem always good humoured.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank P_J_H_family_M
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on business. Upon arriving at the hotel there was a bit of confusion as the receptionist couldn't seem to find my booking but we got there in the end! My room was located on the ground floor which looked onto the car park so I was unable to open the window or the curtains but overall the room was spacious, very clean, modern and the bed was extremely comfortable. The restaurant has an excellent menu with plenty of choice, all very reasonably priced. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. There is also a costa coffee located in the bar area which was excellent. The hotel is straight opposite one of the main university buildings so can be quite noisy however I didn't encounter any problems.

Overall I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014