“Sadly rather underwhelmed”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nottingham
Restaurant Sat Bains with Rooms
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Sadly rather underwhelmed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had heard of this restaurant for some time and had noted its rise to fame and awarding of two Michelin stars. Hence we booked for early august for dinner. We opted for the 10 course tasting menu and the accompanying top flight option 2 tasting wines. The positive points first .The charming south Korean/Swedish sommelier was very good at explaining all the wines,their country of origin, grape variety and how they should taste on the palate. The service was very good and we were also allowed into the extremely small kitchen to see the operation and to meet Mr Sat Bains after service had died down.
The food was fine but served in effectively rustic style pottery and pottery bowls which did detract from the presentation of the food .We have dined at many top flight restaurants such as The Fat duck and le Manoir aux Quat Saisons,and this restaurant and the food just did not seem to have the "Oh wow"!! factor that we were expecting.
A shame really as it was an expensive night out which we do not mind if it is an overwhelming foodie or gastronomic experience which sadly this was not .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Countrygirl50-1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Glos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

For one thing I have just had a laugh at the 1 star reviews on here (all at least two years old anyway) most of which seem to be complaints based on the fact that the reviewers hadn't bothered to read the (perfectly clear and fair) terms and conditions. Oh well...

Well where do I start? The room was glorious: huge, brilliantly appointed, spotless, comfortable and not a bad rate at all (included a stunning, delicious and imaginative breakfast)

The restaurant was the kind of place where they could have served you pretend food on paper plates and you still wouldn't have felt ripped off because the service was unbelievable: prompt, efficient and attentive and all carried by smiling, lovely, good humoured and above all knowledgeable people.

But there was food: oh my goodness there WAS food. We went for the ten course tasting menu which was creative, delicious, brilliantly varied and so well paced that it wasn't until the very end that you realised how full you were! My husband had the matching wine menu (I stayed with Prosecco which gave whole new meaning to the term splendidly chilled!) which he said was spot on (he likes to kid on that he knows about these things but in this case everything else was so peerless I am prepared to believe him)

A couple of special mentions: the aerated chocolate dessert. So many chefs think they have failed if their chocolate treats don't taste of arsenic. Not this guy: he was man enough to use milk chocolate and it looked huge but it was so light, it was all flavour and hardly any bulk. If you're thinking Aero, think again. And secondly the signature Duck Egg dish. This was supplementary to the menu which scored a perfect 10 on strictly come cooking or whatever. It had to be worth at least at 20! Hard to think that what was basically ham, egg and peas could be such a celestial experience, but it was. And the consistency of the egg...wow, just wow.

As I say Mrs Bains, this man is a keeper (though I daresay you taught him a lot of what he knows).

I do try to find fault wherever I can but I have failed here! The ONLY negative I can find is that the location is frankly out there, but this is totally unimportant and the site itself is immaculate.
Sat and Amanda are onto a winner and no mistake (did I mention the hello brownies and the farewell pastries?). We don't go on lavish cruises: our indulgence of choice is fine dining and the benchmark is high and this is up there with the big boys (you might even say peering down on the big boys)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank elaine4648
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Do not let yourself be fooled by the somewhat odd location of this fantastic restaurant and hotel - it's an oasis in the outskirts of Nottingham. I wrote restaurant first because to my opinion the restaurant is the main attraction. The hotel is for sure very nice; I had room #3 which is spacious, clean and with elegant interior that mixes the style of a typical (at least for a Swede...) British "Inn” with some Indian styled furniture. A very comfortable bed, personal written information note from the staff and air-condition completed the picture of a high class hotel room. However, it's when you go for dinner that you really feel that this place can offer a world class experience; starting with a very nice spumante in the lovely little garden I then had the full lot; the 10 course tasting menu + the chees course+ the two extra dishes (one of Sat’s signature dishes) and the wine tasting menu #2. Yes, a lot of dishes and wine glasses, but everything is well balanced so what a fantastic dinner! My favorites among the dishes where the Loch Salmon, the scallops, crab satay and the pressed lamb. The wine list is in this place a fresh experience; not the traditional “thick bible”, rather a thin binder with many interesting, and in some case at affordable prices, wines from all parts of the world. The wine tasting menu contained some fantastic classical, but also some more “non-traditional”, wines. Just to mention some; with the salmon I was served a very nice German Silvaner (!) from 2011 (Weingut Wirsching), the pearl barley was perfectly matched with a 2008 Chateauneuf-du-Pape (Cuvee Reserve, Domain du Pegau) to the lamb I got an excellent 1995 Brunello Riserva (Conti Constanti), for dessert I had three perfectly fitted sweet wines; a Riesling from NZ (Siegfried Estate), a Pedro Ximenez (Barossa Valley) and finally a Brachetto d’Acui from Piemonte.
Worth to mention is that the service is world class; personal and friendly, extremely knowledgeable and never "stiff" or too formal, you simply feel much appreciated as a guest. Best of all was our sommelier (I think his name is Laurent); very knowledgeable, enthusiastic and extremely helpful - a true joy to be a guest with him around (After the dinner he showed us the kitchen and shared some insight to how the meals are prepared, very nice!)
All in all a top class dinner experience – definitely at Michelin 2-star level, if they continue like this they are close to a third star (not that it matters much, the food is excellent anyway…:-))
Anything negative? The only thing I can come up with is that the promised newspaper for breakfast never showed up ("we could not get access to any newspapers this morning" was the answer...). However, as everything else was perfect I can live it... :-)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sandbypag
Ilkley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Stayed at this great hotel before the first day of the Ashes Test match, the experience was delicious, from the lovely welcome and hot brownie on arrival to the charming wave goodbye with a nutty biscuits. Thankyou Sat and Amanda Baines and your charming staff particularly the sommelier who tried hard to educate us, we will be back!

Room Tip: Book a package it is really good value for money
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

I decided to treat my girlfriend for her birthday. She has always wanted to go to a Michelin starred restaurant, and being that Sat Bains was so close and with rooms on hand, I booked one of their package deals. I was concerned that I wouldn't appreciate the difference between good food and Michelin started food, but I couldn't have been more wrong...

We had the 7 course taster menu, without wine, and had the Sat's speciality duck egg course. The wine list was expensive and they were more than happy to offer a hand with the selection. The food was quite simply amazing, and as you would expect, all of the flavours on the plate worked really well with each other. Nathan Outlaw was sat on a table over my shoulder, so having another two Michelin started chef eating in the restaurant makes you feel that the food should be decent!

The rooms were comfortable and well appointed, if a little small. The only comment I would have is that the shower was too short! That said its not just this hotel I've found this in, but I'm only 6'2"!

Ok so the evening cost over £400 for the meal, lodgings and breakfast, but it was worth it. I've recommended the restaurant to my friends, and those that have been have thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank wimper007
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I have dined here twice previously and been very satisfied. The taster menu was wonderful. However we recently tried to use a gift voucher given to us a wedding present but unfortunately we did not use the voucher in it's time period and the person whom we spoke to make a reservation would not negotiate any sort of discount on the basis of the voucher so the wedding gift was lost. More recently we tried to book again for a party of 20 people and were quoted more than three times the cost of the regular menu. The food may be (and is) good but customer service is very poor.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Mike M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed and dined here yesterday to celebrate a special occasion. We left feeling wowed. Whilst the approach road and location might appear rather unpromising, it soon becomes plain that everything about the establishment itself is impressive and attractive. Our room (4) on the ground floor, just a few feet from reception, was excellent - quiet, a good size, well-equipped, spotlessly clean and it with a lovely bathroom boasting Molten Brown toiletries. An untimely rain shower denied us the chance to use the small private terrace beyond the patio window, but for which this would have been a pleasant spot to share a pre-dinner drink. As it was, we made our way the small bar area for an aperitif, where the service was warm and efficient. Like so many previous reviewers, we opted for the 10 course taster menu with accompanying wines, to which we also chose to add the optional, renowned (superb) duck egg dish. We loved every mouthful of every dish. You will see from my previous reviews that we have been lucky enough to dine in some fine places in recent times. Nonetheless, we have never experienced such creative and imaginative dishes, many of which included taste or texture surprises and sensations which brought an involuntary smile to the lips. I'm very surprised that some reviewers have criticised the portion sizes, which we felt were at least as generous as those we have enjoyed on other Michelin star taster menus. The waiting staff and sommeliers were all charming; helpful, attentive and personal. The invitation to meet Sat and his team in their kitchen after the meal was a nice touch. A great night's sleep followed in a very comfy bed. Finally, breakfast this morning was lovely too - the fresh muesli and yoghurt was the best I've had and the full English was excellent. It's not cheap, of course, but you get what you pay for.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple