“A birthday surprise!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nottingham
Restaurant Sat Bains with Rooms
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
Derby, United Kingdom
“A birthday surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Arrived early so was inspired to walk down Lenton Lane and was amazed to see loads of horse radish growing and then found it included on our plate delicious !Having been a fan of Sat Bains from when he was a chef in Ashbourne It was great to be taken to Lenton and experience the Taster menu using so many different types of produce! The staff were young knowledgable and helpful and so obliging . I loved the calm atmosphere in the kitchen with the Master Chef leading a great team of young chefs .A great experience and look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

This was such an amazing experience. We had the 10 course taster with the wine taster too, although expensive it is an absolute must!! We learnt so much about the wine and why it is good with each dish and it really made us appreciate how the flavours ho together! The wine waiter is excellent. The food was out of this world and the service was the best we have ever had! Even got to meet sat bains at the end of the evening! Great night!! Thank you!

• Stayed September 2013
Alderholt, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband surprised me with a night here for my birthday and what a very special treat it was. On checking in we were informed we were receiving a complimentary upgrade to a suite which was beautifully decorated to give a calm atmosphere and equipped with everything one could wish for from CD player and selection of CDs to an iPhone dock along with all the usual amenities but with just that little bit more class.

Our 10 course taster menu with the addition of Sat's Slow cooked Duck Egg from the Great British Menu was superb. Our taste buds were teased and tantalised throughout not only by the wonderful food but also by the wine flight which the sommelier had skilfully chosen to accompany. Staff were on hand to answer an questions regarding the meal and wine but still allowed us to enjoy an intimate dinner for two. At the end of our meal we were taken to the kitchen to meet Sat and the rest of his team, when he kindly signed a copy of his book for us.

I must refer to a previous reviewer of this restaurant who critiqued the crockery used calling it rustic and inferring that it detracted from the meal, I must disagree. The crockery was indeed pottery and not fine porcelain, however we are talking quality pottery which to my mind was well suited to the seasonal dishes that were served in them. We too have dined in many michelin starred restaurants, Fat Duck, Waterside, L'enclume and Martin Berasategui to name a few and have dishes served on and in a vast number of different recepticles, although the crockery can add to the theatre of a meal it in no way affects the quality of the food served.

One last comment; in the guest information book in our room Sat introduced and named each member of his staff from his head chef to the washer up, this I found very endearing, that he so obviously values each and every one of his staff.

1 Thank Vinecot
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Our sons gave us a gift voucher for Restaurant Sat Bains for our wedding anniversary. The day before we were due to attend, one of our sons was rushed into hospital. I could not get an answer by phone as the restaurant was closed, so I emailed our situation and asked if we could rebook.
I was aware of the cancellation policy and had also seen some of the comments on here, so I was a little concerned as to whether I would end with cancellation fees.
I need not have worried as on making contact with Amanda Baines, she re arranged our evening and also extended the life of our voucher to ensure it was usable.
To the evening itself, we were warmly greeted with a to die for chocolate brownie, and then shown to our room, with met and surpassed our expectations.
It was very carefully explained to us that this is a restaurant with rooms, and not a hotel, so service is limited.
The room was very stylish and very comfortable, tea, coffee, confectionery and some very tasty little almond florentine biscuits were provided.
In relation to dinner, we opted for the 10 course taster menu with wine accompaniment.
We also opted to for the extra "duck egg" course.
From the point that we entered the restaurant to the point that we waddled out again, I can say that the service given to us by the food waiting staff and our sommelier (Laurent) was second to none. The explanations that accompanied each course of food and wine were given in a such a way as to be informative without being condescending, and quite frankly only added to the experience.
The course that stood out for me was Pearl Barley with girolles and turnip accompanied with a Chateauneuf-du-pape, Clos Saint-Jean. Quite simply - heaven.
As for the rest of the menu, can I be so bold as to suggest that you go and try it for yourself.
This is one to put on your achievable bucket list.

3 Thank shelts1188
nottingham, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

We dined here last night,4 of us and we had the chefs table. We were in a private room adjacent to the kitchen. It was wonderful really enjoyed it! We had the taster menu and it was fantastic. Really recommend it and the chefs table was really good. All the chefs spoke to us and told us what each course consisted of, even Sat himself came and spent time with us. Really lovely evening !!

• Stayed September 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had heard of this restaurant for some time and had noted its rise to fame and awarding of two Michelin stars. Hence we booked for early august for dinner. We opted for the 10 course tasting menu and the accompanying top flight option 2 tasting wines. The positive points first .The charming south Korean/Swedish sommelier was very good at explaining all the wines,their country of origin, grape variety and how they should taste on the palate. The service was very good and we were also allowed into the extremely small kitchen to see the operation and to meet Mr Sat Bains after service had died down.
The food was fine but served in effectively rustic style pottery and pottery bowls which did detract from the presentation of the food .We have dined at many top flight restaurants such as The Fat duck and le Manoir aux Quat Saisons,and this restaurant and the food just did not seem to have the "Oh wow"!! factor that we were expecting.
A shame really as it was an expensive night out which we do not mind if it is an overwhelming foodie or gastronomic experience which sadly this was not .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Countrygirl50-1
Glos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

For one thing I have just had a laugh at the 1 star reviews on here (all at least two years old anyway) most of which seem to be complaints based on the fact that the reviewers hadn't bothered to read the (perfectly clear and fair) terms and conditions. Oh well...

Well where do I start? The room was glorious: huge, brilliantly appointed, spotless, comfortable and not a bad rate at all (included a stunning, delicious and imaginative breakfast)

The restaurant was the kind of place where they could have served you pretend food on paper plates and you still wouldn't have felt ripped off because the service was unbelievable: prompt, efficient and attentive and all carried by smiling, lovely, good humoured and above all knowledgeable people.

But there was food: oh my goodness there WAS food. We went for the ten course tasting menu which was creative, delicious, brilliantly varied and so well paced that it wasn't until the very end that you realised how full you were! My husband had the matching wine menu (I stayed with Prosecco which gave whole new meaning to the term splendidly chilled!) which he said was spot on (he likes to kid on that he knows about these things but in this case everything else was so peerless I am prepared to believe him)

A couple of special mentions: the aerated chocolate dessert. So many chefs think they have failed if their chocolate treats don't taste of arsenic. Not this guy: he was man enough to use milk chocolate and it looked huge but it was so light, it was all flavour and hardly any bulk. If you're thinking Aero, think again. And secondly the signature Duck Egg dish. This was supplementary to the menu which scored a perfect 10 on strictly come cooking or whatever. It had to be worth at least at 20! Hard to think that what was basically ham, egg and peas could be such a celestial experience, but it was. And the consistency of the egg...wow, just wow.

As I say Mrs Bains, this man is a keeper (though I daresay you taught him a lot of what he knows).

I do try to find fault wherever I can but I have failed here! The ONLY negative I can find is that the location is frankly out there, but this is totally unimportant and the site itself is immaculate.
Sat and Amanda are onto a winner and no mistake (did I mention the hello brownies and the farewell pastries?). We don't go on lavish cruises: our indulgence of choice is fine dining and the benchmark is high and this is up there with the big boys (you might even say peering down on the big boys)

4 Thank elaine4648