“Oh no...another zip-link bed!”
Review of Hart's Hotel

Hart's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 5 September 2008

I’m a regular visitor to Nottingham, and usually stay at the budget hotels. I fancied a treat this time, but was it worth the extra? Not really.

CHECKING IN: The receptionist was friendly, but did little more than hand me my key. She didn’t volunteer any information about the hotel or the room (as they do in Jury’s). You’ll see why I was a little peeved about this later in this review.

ROOM: Tiny, but the ceiling-height mirrors give a feeling of space. The décor is pleasant (muted tones) and the carpets are soft. It’s very peaceful. At first glance, the bed appears to be a king-size but it’s not. It’s a zip-link (two single beds locked together), with that annoying and uncomfortable ridge/gap down the middle. This is great for the hotel, of course, as it can sell any room as a twin or a double. The bedding is gorgeous, though: big feather duvet and fine Egyptian cotton. It was chilly when I arrived but the radiator wouldn’t come on. The member of staff who (eventually) came to have a look explained that the temperature was computer-controlled centrally and couldn’t be over-ridden in individual rooms. The mini-bar was well stocked and there was a basket of tempting goodies – all overpriced, so avoided. One nice touch was the carton of milk in the fridge (none of those little plastic pots). There’s real coffee (but just one sachet). The cups are small so one teabag is too much – use the cafetiere to make two cups of tea from one teabag.

BATHROOM: Tiny too, but it benefits from an openable window (so rare in hotels) and another ceiling-height mirror. I was surprised to find three sizable holes in one of the bath towels. The bath is big enough for two, but the large tap at one end would make it difficult to use in this way. Why not put the taps at the side? Lovely shower, but the screen is just not big enough to contain the water, and so your bathmat becomes a mopping-up cloth.

FOOD: Exquisite on the whole! I ordered room service on the first evening, and it was delivered promptly. The salad was drowned in balsamic, though, so a lot of it had to be abandoned. Lunch in the bar was a delight (the best vanilla cheesecake we’ve ever had) and the staff there were friendly and helpful. Be aware that a glass of wine is just 125ml, rather than the more usual 175ml.

RESTAURANT: We’d booked a table for the second evening, having seen the set dinner menu on the website (three courses for around £24). We were shown to what was described as a “cosy table” – this was actually set in the darkest corner by the toilet door! We were immediately moved to a lovely bright corner table by the window – but why did we have to ask for that? The environment is pleasant, and blissfully music-free. I asked for the set menu but was told they’d stopped doing that three or four weeks previously (the website hadn’t been updated). After some pushing (notably after I’d said we were staying there), the manager advised us to order from the a la carte menu and he’d see what he could do about the price. The result was two courses for the price of the three-course set menu. The food was wonderful – everything well cooked and beautifully presented: a painting on a plate. My companion and I were deep in conversation when the waiter came over, picked up a glass and topped it up. This is one of my pet hates in restaurants – I want to decide how much and when to drink, and I don’t like conversations being interrupted in this way. The waiter said it was his job – it seems they’re told to keep topping up glasses. An unnecessary intrusion!

GENERAL: The standard of housekeeping was high, but I didn’t like being interrupted (by phone) shortly after noon to find out when they could service the room (the Do Not Disturb sign was on the door).

On the day I left, I discovered an information book tucked away at the back of the tea/coffee shelf (it should have been out on the bed or the desk). In there, I found that bathrobes were available on request (I would’ve appreciated that when I couldn’t get the heating to work, and it’s something that could’ve been mentioned at check-in) and that there was a DVD player in the room! I searched for the player, but couldn’t find it. The receptionist told me that it was incorporated into the TV but it wasn’t. Another member of staff then told me that DVD players were available only in the suites. A room-specific guide would be good! With basic DVD players so cheap these days, they could be standard in all rooms. They were apologetic in their words, but I didn’t feel they really cared that I’d been disappointed – the bill was paid and I was leaving. (We’d felt the same in the restaurant.) This off-hand attitude (and the zip-link bed) makes me hesitate about recommending what could be a top-class hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Enigmatist

Reviewed 26 August 2008

We stayed at Harts during bank holiday weekend and were able to take advantage of their excellent value Sunday snooze package - a standard double room, full English breakfast, car parking & £45 towards dinner in their Harts restaurant. Be warned it is very difficult to find & satnav won't help you. It took us 2 phone calls to the hotel & tortuous trips round Nottingham's 1 way system before we were able to find it - we had only been 2 minutes away twice! Having a secure car park was a bonus. The room was fine. Comfortable but small. The bathroom was good quality but again small - room for 1 person at a time. As we had booked last minute & the England cricket team was staying there we got a courtyard/car park view which wasn't ideal but didn't matter to us as we were only there 1 night. However, the bin men arriving at 7.00am didn't go down well ... Our only irritation was that whilst we had tea/coffee/milk (only enough coffee for 1 drink though) even the biscuits were charged for - unusual & as regular travellers not what we expcted - good job I read the mini bar menu before hubby opened them! The hotel was comfortable, well maintained & the staff were very pleasant & helpful. Breakfast was good & a reasonable choice. I'd be happy to stay again for a night but would probably find the rooms a bit too small for any longer.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BobMarleyManchester
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Hart's is a perfect example of how a hotel should be... courteous staff, efficient service, informative and helpful concierge, beautifully decorated room and luxurious bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and the room provided all the required amenities. Everything was spotless. The entire hotel is fresh and modern and the gardens are just lovely. We pre-booked a parking space, which is definitely recommended. We had our son with us and even with the extra bed in the room, there was enough space for all of us. The hotel is upmarket but also child-friendly. The hotel is walking distance to the town centre. We will definitely be back and next time we will try their restaurant with the mouth-watering menu.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank PB&PA
Reviewed 14 June 2008

We booked this hotel for a one night stay - the room we were allocated was very "snug" and the bathroom so small that we could barely be in it together. But I'd still recommend this hotel as we had the most amazing view down over the town that gave it a feel of spaciousness it didn't otherwise deserve. It was also very quiet and extremely comfortable. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We had secure parking in the hotel car park that must be booked in advance. The other advantage of the hotel is that it has an excellent restaurant next door so there's no need to head down into town. Although interestingly, Nottingham has the largest town square in the country and was redesigned with a new water feature in 2007.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Skiathite
Reviewed 21 March 2008

Having looked on this site, i chose harts, i was certainly not dissapointed.

The staff were really friendly and helpful and the hotel was truly wonderful

The room was nice and clean with a decent bathroom. The bose wave radio was a nice touch

If i get the chance to stay again i would definately get a room at the front a better view

The room service was good and of excellent quality even at 3am

The only irritating thing was the lack of signs pointing to the hotel. The one way system close to the hotel is an utter pain!! A better map explaing the best route it would be appreciated

The gym is just a stepper with a couple of weights, still did the job

Well worth a visit

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank Rugbyplayer25
Reviewed 21 March 2008

Friendly staff, lovely and clean, a very modern hotel. The rooms have most everything you need while on business and are fine if you are on your own. As a couple you may find the rooms quite claustrophobic. We stayed in a superior room for £140 per night no breakfast included and I felt like I was on a caravan holiday albeit a luxury caravan. I believe all the rooms are the same size, some face into the courtyard area and the rest out toward the City, so you are paying for the view not the size of the room. Bathrobes would be nice & at least one free packet of biscuits to go with the good selection of teas and fresh coffee. The bathrooms are well equipped, great shower, extremely long bath, so unless your 6ft, no chance of relaxing with a book, just floating with one, could do with more light though. I would recommend this hotel for business only.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Taylortowers
Reviewed 6 February 2008

Stayed for one night on a special Sunday night deal including restaurant evening meal, breakfast and car parking.

Echo all the other reviews. Rooms are reasonable size, comfortable, good modern decor and fittings. Particularly liked the self focussing shaving mirror!

The restaurant is a must to try.

Staff are friendly and attentive. Location of hotel is central Nottingham within easy walking distance of theatres and shops.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple