“O What a Shame!”

Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Cheshire
“O What a Shame!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Ever since I came to live in Nottingham nearly thirty years ago, Walton's Hotel has always been a very special place and holds many happy memories of family meals and drinks with friends. What great hopes we had when a new owner expressed intentions of some necessary refurbishment. Perhaps the area to the left of the main entrance would become once more an integral part of the hotel, brightly and invitingly decorated so that customers would once again choose to sit in the Savoy room and drink at the bar? Perhaps the bedrooms would become warm and less tired- looking? Perhaps the toilet floors would be re-tiled? etc. etc. What we did not realise was that, contrary to the usual practice of completely refurbishing and then increasing prices, this owner has put all the prices up - of food, of drinks, of bedrooms without anything being done!! Oh yes - the wooden bar furniture has largely been replaced by very fine large leather settees and chairs but they reduce the occupancy by half! Then the bar tables have been replaced by coffee tables to make it more difficult to lift a full pint! Ok so the furniture on the Terrace has been replaced but not everyone wants to sit outside! The result is that the regular groups of local residents, who were in the habit of meeting for pre-dinner on most evenings have all decamped to the original 'Park Set' bar at the nearby Sir John Borlase Warren where full refurbishment has taken place without price increases!
Staff have mainly been replaced and not always with experienced people. On what has now proved to be my final visit to Walton's last week I had to stand at the bar and wait whilst the manager instructed a member of the cleaning staff on her duties in front of me and before serving me. I ordered a sandwich but was told that I could not have a side order of fries - no reason given in spite of what is written on the menu!! My colleague tried to order soup with crusty bread, as outlined on the menu, but was served a mixture of white bread and treacle/walnut bread!
Oh dear! Is anyone surprised that nowadays the place is virtually empty?

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part as the heating is more efficient.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank BeardedOne7
The-Walton-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Walton - Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate your detailed review.
As you have seen we are in the process of an exciting redevelopment program that has already and will continue to make many enhancements and upgrades to the hotel.
We cannot unfortunately do everything we want to do at once as the hotel must stay open and to minimise disruption for guests.
Regarding the pricing, we have already improved the standard and quality of many of our bar menu items which is reflected in a small increase in prices.
I will notify the relevant departments to ensure issues such as training and changes in menu items served are addressed.
We do hope you decide to visit the hotel again in the future and see many more improvements in action.
The Walton Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I would advise against going to this hotel.

We had our wedding booked here in July 2014 meaning we are one of the couples effected by the surreal price hikes after the takeover of the hotel. I was very disappointed not only at the price changes but also at the way in which we were dealt with. Our first reaction to the changes was to request a meeting to discuss the issues but we could not even get the owner to speak to us on the phone. I don't understand how you expect to plan a wedding over emails.

I felt throughout the whole encounter the aim was to bully us into cancelling our wedding as we were not wanted there. From start to finish we received no form of apology for the price increases or changes to our day. I am a very relaxed bride and I'm not really too fussed on the small details but they were trying to change important parts of the day, such as not giving us a private area for a drinks reception.

We were told that if we wanted the staff to put our table decorations on the table we would have to pay their wages for that period. How long will it really take to put a pot in the centre of 10 tables? Although only a small issue this to me summed up the attitude we faced when trying to deal with the new owners.

I cannot understand the decisions made by the new owners from a business perspective. We wanted to bring 100 people into their establishment for the full day, most of which will be drinking heavily. I do not understand why you would want to throw away this opportunity. We have now cancelled our contract with the Walton and I feel everyone has lost out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
20 Thank Nicki B
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have just read the recent report , about the food at this hotel. we were regular visitors, and enjoyed the food,always professionally presented, the staff were friendly, a good experience all round,
unfortunatly we went after the new owners took over, and the atmosphere had really changed and may I add not for the better.

We have eaten at the Maize and the Waltons could stand by their side, prior to the new owners why mend something that is not broken. but then that is our opinion

Having read the reports and our own experience we WILL NOT be going again,

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank bertie732
The-Walton-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Walton - Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the atmosphere when you visited although it is not clear exactly where the issue was. Please do contact us directly if you feel there are areas that can be improved.
The hotel is undergoing an exciting redevelopment program and we are investing in all areas of the business to ensure our guests have the best possible experience when they stay with us.
I hope that your opinion on the atmosphere at the hotel will change should you decide to visit again.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I attended a wedding here on the 10th May and have to say what a lovely experience it was. I was little concerned as recent reviews were not that complimentary at all so I was delighted when the whole experience turned out to be very positive indeed and I'm not easily pleased. The reception staff were polite informative and only to happy to help. Whilst parking s limited there is plenty of street parking close by . The bar staff were efficient and welcoming, the meal and I was surprised to have a menu choice for a wedding was excellent from appetizers to mains and deserts . the staff were attentive , well presented and very courteous. In fact I have worse service at some 5 star establishments . The room we had was clean and comfortable. After a good nights sleep the breakfast service again was efficient with plenty of choice and excellent with an extensive menu options . I would like to thank the all the staff at the Walton Hotel for a most enjoyable experience . I would have no hesitation in booking a stay here again .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My daughter was due to have her wedding reception here but has cancelled due to drastic changes made to the booking agreed with previous owners, by the new owner, Alice Tarry (withdrawal of one room, most of the outside terrace and wedding planner, among others) and as if that wasn't enough she then decided to increase the price by £4000, not inc VAT on most parts.
As well as all this my daughter experienced terrible customer service whilst trying to sort this with Ms Tarry, who didn't return calls or reply to emails etc.
Alice Tarry also thought it was a good idea to call her customers 'wedding chavs' on her own facebook page, as she asked her friends and family to join the Walton Hotel page and give a 'thumbs up' in support, after the backlash from the said customers!!
I wouldn't recommend this Hotel to anyone after the experience we have had!!

22 Thank Lesley D
The-Walton-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Walton - Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear JamesM,
Thank you for your recent review, and we are disappointed to read your comments. Unfortunately we have been unable to contact you via TripAdvisor in order to get some more details about your stay and investigate why we did not receive your feedback upon checkout.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss further should you wish to do so. We strive to ensure that all our customers receive friendly, efficient and consistent service in comfortable surroundings and can only apologise if this was not the case. Your comments are very important to us as it is only through guest feedback that we can hope to improve our standards and services that we provide to our guests.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have been going to The Waltons with my family for a while now, before this year we always had a lovely experience, great food, great portion size and great prices especially for its location in one of Nottingham's most highly sought after gated communities.

However, it has recently been taken over by new management, we went for Mothers Day and you could tell it was going down hill, attention to detail had been lost, the restaurant was a lot emptier than normal and the new management was draped across an arm chair in the bar with little concern for customers. The food portions had reduced and prices had increased and the new members of staff seemed to look down on the regular customers, as well as over charging on the bill after a not so fabulous meal and trying to somehow put it down to us, I'm not sure how that would be possible. Eventually it was resolved and as it was newly bought we thought we would give them another chance at Easter as we have had such good experiences before.

Big mistake, the restaurant was empty, it looked like they were trying to clear up to go home about 2:00 when we arrived, the prices had taken another hike and when we requested to have the vegetables a little more cooked, which with previous management they were more than happy to do, it took 3 attempts and a lot of bothering to actually get it right by which point the rest of our food was cold, and at a high price for a sunday roast this wasn't great, there was no apology from staff and little car to be honest. The food was alright, but cold and the atmosphere has completely gone.

Sad to see a old Nottingham gem go especially when apart from mid week business stays, what kept this place alive was the long term regulars and old Nottingham faces.

*This was my opinion before recent events unfolded and now I have no idea what to say other than it confirms every feeling I got about the new owners.

27 Thank Mkb535
The-Walton-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Walton - Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry to hear about the issues you had with your meal and the level of service.
I will pass your comments onto both the kitchen team and bar/restaurant team so this does not happen again.
Since the recent change in ownership, there are significant improvements being made throughout the whole hotel including the rooms. We are working hard to ensure our guests have the best possible experience when they stay with us and I hope you will see this transformation should you decide to visit again.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I booked a table for 4 people for a Saturday evening a couple of weeks ago as it was my mother in laws75th birthday.. How over rated this place is. On entering this establishment there was dado rail missing in the bar. The ladies toilets had not been cleaning that afternoon, there was no toilet roll in any of the toilets and the bins were overflowing with used paper towels. the dining experience was not much better either. I ordered the salmon which was rather dry. My partner and his father ordered the lamb shank; they both said not bad but would not have again. My mother in law ordered 2 starters as she is not a big eater, both she enjoyed. The pudding was not much better either. I ordered a bottle of wine which the female waitress had to be reminded of more than once. We will not be gonig back again.

24 Thank Sue P
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I'm sorry to hear of the issues you had with the meal and also the condition of the toilets.
I have passed your comments onto both our head chef and the housekeeping team to ensure that these issues will not occur again.

Since the recent change in ownership, there are significant improvements being made throughout the hotel, bar and restaurant. We are working hard to ensure our guests have the best possible experience when they stay with us and I hope you will see this transformation should you decide to book with us again.