“Best bed ever.”

Ranked #31 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
Sydney, Australia
“Best bed ever.”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Was not expecting much as Nottingham is a bit of a sad case as far as cities goes. But from the minute we arrived we were impressed with The Walton. Average sized room but adequate. But the bed, I want to buy it. So comfortable.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had my wedding reception here on return from my wedding in Italy. We paid roughly £2000 for rental of the rooms and food which i thought was a great price and the place was so beautiful and ornate inside - i was impressed. The wedding planner at the time was Pauline who was really helpful and the staff in the evening were always polite and smiling. The food they laid on was lovely and plenty of it.
Having said that the bridal suit could have done with some updating and the room was so unbelievably hot it was uncomfortable. The bed as well was solid and not good if you wanted to chill out at the end of the evening.
The only thing that really spoils this venue is the fact that it is on a very busy main road and the terrace over looks probably not one of the most lovliest areas of Nottingham. Its sad news to think that what could have been a really good venue is now in the hands of such prats!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank sazza1981
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Went here for a Sunday lunch, slightly apprehensive after the recent mixed reviews however our meal was excellent. Thought the lunch menu was good value for money. Staff were friendly and attentive.
The hotel area is looking a bit tired but hopefully this will be included in part of its refurb.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank blwalts
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here for a wedding and did have a quick look on here before hand which showed quite a few bad reviews about wedding cancellations which was a worry!
Having stayed here however I thought the place was excellent, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the wedding reception was spot on. Room was nice and clean and comfortable and quiet.
Ok it appears they want to move away from weddings which is fair enough, its not a big hotel so I think its much better suited as a bar/restaurant venue if they renovate it (which they appear to be doing judging by the signs in the car park).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I were looking for a hotel within walking distance of Nottingham city centre as we had a concert to attend. Due to circumstances we left it reasonably late before we booked and after a search the only hotel that took our fancy was The Walton.

The Walton is a characterful hotel which was built as a hunting lodge in the 1800’s and it is well located on the perimeter of the historic Park area of Nottingham. Parking is available however, the car park is small and holds about 9 cars, less if a skip is there, as we discovered upon our arrival when we squeezed into the last available space at 3.00pm. Hotel parking permits are available for the surrounding streets, though I would have been less than pleased to discover I had to park my car on the surrounding streets when the information on Booking.com states that car parking reservation is not necessary! This might bother some people more than others but potentially needs to be addressed (maybe through valet parking?).

All the staff we spoke to were polite, upbeat and enthusiastically keen to mention that the hotel had just been taken over, adding that the new owner was investing money to upgrade facilities and turn the building into an upmarket boutique hotel.

The superior room we booked was characterful and furnished in keeping with the atmosphere and ambience of a 19th century hunting lodge, however, the décor was tired with paintwork chipped and bashed, but it was nothing that a decorating refresh wouldn’t solve. Despite the tired paintwork the room was exceptionally clean (My wife pronounced the en-suite bathroom as one of the cleanest she had seen in a hotel).

At dinner, the maître d explained that the hotel had just completed a large kitchen upgrade and changed their kitchen staff and suppliers. Certainly these changes have worked as the food in the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast was enjoyable, of a good quality and representative of a boutique hotel. Whilst in the restaurant it was noticeable that the staff were grappling with a new computer system which further highlighted the ongoing investment.

Overall, we felt that despite the tired décor the room rate was good value and the restaurant prices were reasonable. On balance, my wife and I both agreed that we enjoyed our stay at The Walton and would stay again as there are enough signs to indicate positive change occurring, though we would probably wait 18 months to see if the new owner’s input and investment have delivered the changes required to truly make this an upmarket boutique hotel.

We both look forward to our return.

Room Tip: It's worth upgrading to the more characterful superior rooms for the extra space.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Baron_Von_Linden
Cheshire
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Ever since I came to live in Nottingham nearly thirty years ago, Walton's Hotel has always been a very special place and holds many happy memories of family meals and drinks with friends. What great hopes we had when a new owner expressed intentions of some necessary refurbishment. Perhaps the area to the left of the main entrance would become once more an integral part of the hotel, brightly and invitingly decorated so that customers would once again choose to sit in the Savoy room and drink at the bar? Perhaps the bedrooms would become warm and less tired- looking? Perhaps the toilet floors would be re-tiled? etc. etc. What we did not realise was that, contrary to the usual practice of completely refurbishing and then increasing prices, this owner has put all the prices up - of food, of drinks, of bedrooms without anything being done!! Oh yes - the wooden bar furniture has largely been replaced by very fine large leather settees and chairs but they reduce the occupancy by half! Then the bar tables have been replaced by coffee tables to make it more difficult to lift a full pint! Ok so the furniture on the Terrace has been replaced but not everyone wants to sit outside! The result is that the regular groups of local residents, who were in the habit of meeting for pre-dinner on most evenings have all decamped to the original 'Park Set' bar at the nearby Sir John Borlase Warren where full refurbishment has taken place without price increases!
Staff have mainly been replaced and not always with experienced people. On what has now proved to be my final visit to Walton's last week I had to stand at the bar and wait whilst the manager instructed a member of the cleaning staff on her duties in front of me and before serving me. I ordered a sandwich but was told that I could not have a side order of fries - no reason given in spite of what is written on the menu!! My colleague tried to order soup with crusty bread, as outlined on the menu, but was served a mixture of white bread and treacle/walnut bread!
Oh dear! Is anyone surprised that nowadays the place is virtually empty?

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part as the heating is more efficient.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank BeardedOne7
The-Walton-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Walton - Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate your detailed review.
As you have seen we are in the process of an exciting redevelopment program that has already and will continue to make many enhancements and upgrades to the hotel.
We cannot unfortunately do everything we want to do at once as the hotel must stay open and to minimise disruption for guests.
Regarding the pricing, we have already improved the standard and quality of many of our bar menu items which is reflected in a small increase in prices.
I will notify the relevant departments to ensure issues such as training and changes in menu items served are addressed.
We do hope you decide to visit the hotel again in the future and see many more improvements in action.
Regards
The Walton Hotel
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I would advise against going to this hotel.

We had our wedding booked here in July 2014 meaning we are one of the couples effected by the surreal price hikes after the takeover of the hotel. I was very disappointed not only at the price changes but also at the way in which we were dealt with. Our first reaction to the changes was to request a meeting to discuss the issues but we could not even get the owner to speak to us on the phone. I don't understand how you expect to plan a wedding over emails.

I felt throughout the whole encounter the aim was to bully us into cancelling our wedding as we were not wanted there. From start to finish we received no form of apology for the price increases or changes to our day. I am a very relaxed bride and I'm not really too fussed on the small details but they were trying to change important parts of the day, such as not giving us a private area for a drinks reception.

We were told that if we wanted the staff to put our table decorations on the table we would have to pay their wages for that period. How long will it really take to put a pot in the centre of 10 tables? Although only a small issue this to me summed up the attitude we faced when trying to deal with the new owners.

I cannot understand the decisions made by the new owners from a business perspective. We wanted to bring 100 people into their establishment for the full day, most of which will be drinking heavily. I do not understand why you would want to throw away this opportunity. We have now cancelled our contract with the Walton and I feel everyone has lost out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family