“Can't praise Walton's Hotel enough...but I will try!”

The Walton - Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
St Ives, United Kingdom
“Can't praise Walton's Hotel enough...but I will try!”
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I booked a one night's stay at Walton's Hotel based on the reviews on Tripadvisor. My daughter has just started her degree course at Nottingham University so a friend and I combined a couple of days of retaiI therapy (great city to shop) with collecting Sophie and bringing her home for Xmas. Hotel was excellent: clean, lovely decor and a wonderful atmosphere. The staff were very friendly and helpful - especially Paul on Reception. Location was also very good - only a 10 minute walk to the City Centre. The hotel has a small car park for residents at the rear of the hotel which was a real bonus. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel but the bar was lively and the prices very reasonable. Breakfast was great as was the service.
I am looking forward to many more stays at the hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting Nottingham.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I needed a suitable venue for a Sunday lunch for ten family members for my daughters 21st birthday. We wanted somewhere that was of a good standard, but with a menu that would appeal to all tastes without breaking the bank.

I selected The Walton's via the Internet, mainly based on reviews such as on Trip Advisor, and was hopeful that it would satisfy my requirements.

It certainly did that, and more. It was excellent. I couldn't fault the hotel, the meal, the service or the value, and will certainly be using this same venue again in the future. I'd definitely recommend it.

You need to book well in advance, it was popular, and I can see why.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Stayed overnight on 24th September. On booking I asked for the quietest room and the lady recommended room 15 on the first floor. She advised that there were no parties so it would be quiet. Greeting on arrival great and friendly. Room 15 is a lovely room (no view only a wall) and has an entrance lobby to help with sound proofing but it is on the main corridor and directly opposite the restaurant and close to the bar. After a very nice meal in the restaurant and some very good reasonably priced wine (good wine list) we retired to our room. While we had the TV on you didn't notice any noise but as soon as we turned it off and the lights you could, despite the lobby, most certainly here the noise from the bar and people in the corridor and people going up and down the stairs to the public loo (next to our room) and the door banging. I am very glad that there wasn't a function that night. Breakfast wasn't as good as dinner. There was a menu however when we sat down we were told to help ourselves to the buffett although on th emenu there were other choices, however we weren't advised it was the buffett or off the menu. When asked for the otehr items it wasn't a problem at all. My husband had a cooked breakfast from the buffett and ended up leaving some as it had clearly been in the heated servers for longer than maybe is wise. My ordered poached eggs were very nice. I would definitely stay at the hotel again but not on the ground floor and I hope breakfast improves just a little or that choices are offered.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
nottingham
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We recently had our wedding reception at The Waltons, it's a really unique & beautiful hotel. All our guests commented on the high quality of the food, the recently extended restaurant comfortably fitted our 80 guests. The waiting staff ensured that all guests were taken care of with alternative meals if they didn't like what we had put on our set menu, & Pauline the manager was very attentive to ensure everything ran smoothly. We had a truly fantastic day. it was great having so much room for the evening do - especially the outdoor terrace, which was very relaxing. We stayed in the bridal suite which is a large split level room, with a spotless bathroom, the bed was very comfortable & the room had bags of personality. We are hoping to return next september to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Clare & Dom.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Hotel quite nice , staff friendly enough , food ok nothing to rave about !
Rooms clean < bed comfy ,very noisy beer delivery outside @ 630am not so good!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank hacker72
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I chose this hotel as it has a five star rating. I would class it 2/3 star. Decor was dull and dreary with no idea of style. We stayed in the honeymoon suite - thank goodness it wasn't my honeymoon. The only thing going for the room was the bed and pillows were comfortable. No porter service to take bags to the room, afternoon tea was just a cup of tea with the lid missed off the tea pot on a terrace next to the main road. No turn down service and the other two rooms we booked for family were noisy during the night also due to the road. My daughter's room was small and pokey. There was no privacy in these rooms that looked onto the buildings opposite so the curtains had to be drawn during the day when dressing. Breakfast was served by staff who avoided your gaze onto tables without table cloths holding old silk flowers.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank TCWesterham
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Our eldest girl had her reception and party at the Waltons Hotel on the 17th July this year. I cannot speak too highly of the place. The food was fantastic, the staff amazing and so accommodating, they looked after us fantastically. The whole of the main bar and outside patio was reserved for our use alone and for a party of about 130 as we were it was perfect. They provided the main guests with a dinner after the wedding and later for the main party they did a barbeque for everyone else. All of those who attended have said how utterly impressed they were by the place. Many of us stayed overnight and the breakfast the next day was fit for a king. I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone for such an occasion. On a further note we have eaten there on a number of occasions too using it as a normal restaurant. Every meal I have had has been excellent and again the staff are fantastic. As good a place as you could wish to visit anywhere and right in the middle of the city.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends