“Overpriced, poor value for money, Unhygienic, family changing rooms are FREEZING - Even Council gyms are cleaner.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
David Lloyd Nottingham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Overpriced, poor value for money, Unhygienic, family changing rooms are FREEZING – Even Council gyms are cleaner.”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is the first time I have ever written a review about anything so imagine my frustration.
I cannot comment on other David Lloyds around the country - But the Nottingham, Aspley branch is disgusting in every shape and form. I pay £1000 per annum for my single membership. Imagine my disgust when I take my 3 year old son for a swim and they ask me for a further £3.00 for a toddler. Price is not the issue – its poor value for money. The pool is not properly heated which is not a problem for the adult pool but is an issue for the kid’s pool. Other parents are also constantly complaining but nothing gets done. Complaints are batted away with ridiculous excuses as a fob off. Mens changing rooms are generally unhygienic, smell and usually the soap dispensers don’t work. Example of a shabby excuse from one of the managers about this “you need to put your finger behind the springs behind the soap dispensers to create leverage” - sorry but £1000 per annum should mean working soap dispensers and regularly filled, soap dispensers. I’m not a plumber so I should not be fixing your dispensers. Family changing rooms are freezing – may as well get changed outside. My son has caught a cold on numerous occasions. And guess what – no soap in the dispensers – can you imagine taking a wet and freezing 3 year old toddler out of the changing room to swap to another to find a proper shower where one of the shower, soap or something else is not working. The experience is a nightmare but my 3 year old is none the wiser and still looks forward to his weekly swimming sessions.
Jacuzzi, sauna, and steam room is not up to a standard that warrants £1000 per annum and one of these is usually, not working.
Prices increase year on year but the number classes are decreasing year on year. The staff don’t really care about their customers. The sales staff however trot around selling to prospective customers. On one occasion I bought all of these points to the attention of one of the sales staff in front a prospective new customer – Can you imagine the look on her face – she quickly tried to get rid of me and told me someone will call me to deal with my issues. Did anyone contact me ? No. I actually felt really sorry for her because she knew my comments were true and the gym was not of the standard that she was claiming and selling it to be.
The company I work for has recently become a corporate partner – this means I will able to acces a discount of £6 per month – woopeey !!! And so I have phoned the gym to access my discount but the sales person did not want to know once it transpired that I was calling to access my discount. She said I would need to call back and speak with someone different – I have left messages but no one has called back. Last week I left another message and said I wanted to add another member. Now they wont stop pestering me every day.
The only one objective the club is interested is to bring on new members – although probably 80% of the members do no actually visit the gym but still pay their high monthly premiums.
I have read a couple of reviews on this site saying that the gym is clean and quality – sorry but you either do not know the meaning of clean and quality or alternatively you must be one of the sales staff commenting on this site.

Visited May 2014
9 Thank Neil B

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Overpriced, Poor customer Service, dated.”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I took out a family membership (Have to pay for both of my kids even though they are only 3-years old and 6-months old) at David Lloyd paying £200 a month.. Unfortunately this place is not value for money, the customer service is poor, it is clear that the staff hate their jobs, the management and their only drive is to ensnare more members and make more money. As an example, after exiting a new mother fitness class one of the 'Membership advisors' was there at the door badgering us to sign up our babies for monthly memberships, the babies were 6 weeks old!!!

If you're considering signing up to this place, don't, just don't.

Visited February 2014
12 Thank Monks1983
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Overpriced and Woefully Inadequte and Complex Complaints System”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Hi, I have paid a family membership for over 5 years and never missed a payment of over £250.00 per month and not once have I ever received a single free voucher and recently when I had friends visit from Sheffield and asked for 3 free vouchers I was refused and instead I took them all to Riverside for lunch... In 2013 the air conditioning in the gym was broken for 3 MONTHS and I made numerous complaints to staff and received not one satisfactory response. I gave my notice to cease membership in September 2013 and surprise surprise it wasn't received so even though David Lloyds could not deny it had been sent I had to send it again. I also made a further complaint to Member Relations on 24th January this year and was told it was a 48hr complaint turnaround policy and surprise surprise received NO written reply or e.mail yet David Lloyds have no problem e.mailing me trying to sell me their products. It beggers belief that David Lloyds feel it is acceptable to still take over £250 for each month that none of my family were able to attend the Nottingham Center in Aspley due to what we considered to be an inadequate air conditioning system and all attempts so far to date to see a full refund for that period of 3 months has not even been acknowledged or been given the credit my complaint deserves, I was basically paying for a service I was being denied....Have you tried to lodge a complaint through their Members Lounge or tried to hand in your notice to end your membership ? It is suspiciously difficult to do, unbelievably so, and even if you approach staff members for an e.mail contact for head office, they rarely provide you with one, instead handing you a PO Box address to write to, again making it as difficult as possible to lodge your complaint which is the sign of a Business that has long since given up regard for Customers.. In truth, the warranty on of lots of their equipment has long since expired hence the reason for such a long delay in repairing the air conditioning in 2013 but yet they still increase their prices whilst reducing their customer focus... With the abundance of smaller newer health and fitness centers springing up around the country with equipment still under warranty it makes NO SENSE to attend or use companies like David Lloyd Leisure, as in terms of value for money they are Overpriced and Woefully Inadequate... Personally I don't like 'Cheap' so for me it isn't about the price but about the total lack of regard for customers and the shocking value for money factor ( I drive a Mercedes S Class )... I like 'Value For Money' and take it from me, business's like David Lloyds like other corporate companies like energy companies for example who continually raise prices whilst lowering Standards of Customer Care are a thing of the past, vote with your feet and if you are even slightly considering a David Lloyds Membership give it an extremely wide berth and avoid it like the PLAGUE !!!! ( Maybe now I might get a response to my Escalated Complaint lodged with Member Relations )... If I can save just 10 families from signing up to David Lloyds and being expected to pay for services they are denied due to non operative mechanisms within David Lloyds I my work here is done....... "Power To The People "

Visited December 2013
19 Thank Elevate-Elevate
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Awfully rude receptionist”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This morning my mum rang up to book me in as a guest today, which is something she has done once before and was always told it is free of charge, as a kind of reward for her loyalty throughout the years.

A young man replied "No we don't that anymore if she wants to come she'll have to pay" "it's for your own safety we don't want any sort coming in" Any sort?! Admittedly she got quite angered and proceeded to reiterate the fact it has always been completely fine, in which he kept firing back in a rude and strictly unprofessional manner.

As she has been a member of the club for 2 years, and myself being a previous member I'd expect a little more respect from your staff.

Visited January 2014
13 Thank claudiawoii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Review based on a family day pass I received from work, the gym has pretty much everything, very clean plenty of choice, children's play area and nice cafe

Swimming pool was good, sauna, steam room all included, only downside is the price £160 per month for 2 adults and a child

Visited October 2013