“AVOID THIS PLACE - we didn’t even make it past the car park!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cranbrook House Serviced Apartments

and 1 more site!
Cranbrook House Serviced Apartments
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“AVOID THIS PLACE – we didn’t even make it past the car park!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

After passing the Krypton-Factor-like instructions for finding the place, gaining entry to the building and obtaining our keys/car park pass from a safe (which contained half a dozen other envelopes full of keys – really security conscious this place!) we finally managed to get the electric gates open and descended into the hell that is the Cranbrook House apartments car park.

According to our envelope which contained the apartment key, a car park pass and a leaflet telling us how amazing the apartments were, we had been allocated parking space 13. We drove down the ramp and could see in front of us parking spaces numbered 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 … but no space 13. We stopped and had a wander wound the car park but couldn’t find a number 13 anywhere. A lot of spaces had cones or signs warning us not to park there and there were signs everywhere warning us that if we were parked in the wrong space we would be clamped and charged £60 for removal. I really was not happy leaving my car there.

There were no staff anywhere to be found and an answering machine message when you rang the contact number (which no one replied to despite several messages being left).

Long (and freezing cold) story short, booking.com eventually moved us to another hotel which was cheaper and had a car park free from mattresses/tents/people sleeping rough and with a very nice car park attendant. Couldn’t have been further from the experience we had at Cranbrook House.

3 weeks and several emails back and forth between myself and booking.com and I have finally received a full refund of the money I paid for the room and car park. Booking.com were amazing. Cranbrook House were useless. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Liz278

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

£200 for 1 night is not cheap...totally agree with previous comments that this pl e is very difficult to get into- instructions are terrible!
Arrived to find the apartment unclean- the corridors stink of cigarettes, there was a dried up pile of vomit next to the toilet, stains in the bedroom and cigarette butts in the lounge...to top it all off the apartment next door threw an all night rave- no fun when I was up at work for 7... This is not worth £50 let alone £200... It is a residential block of flats of which a small number are rented out as serviced apartments, dated, unclean and very very noisy- avoid at all costs!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank iloveikea

Travellers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Firstly it took us an hour to find the car park with very poor instructions/ directions , once parked in the damp and dark car park we eventually managed to find our room key locked in a small safe . Everything was very badly organised and lacked that face to face greet you would expect from centrally located apartments . Looking at the websites pictures we where very excited to see the room ..... We had a shock our room wasn't a thing like the pictures seen online . The decor was tired and poor, the view from the window over looked a very noisy building site which wasn't great. The kitchen was very poor the pots and plates had a very strong smell of curry , the smell didn't shift even after washing . Everything was below average and Having stayed in cheaper apartments in other city's this is very highly over priced and we won't be recommending this to our families or friends .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Geeycfc
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Booked these apartments for two nights with a friend so we could spend some time in the city that we went to uni together.

Arrived on Friday evening after a long drive down from London, went out for dinner and came back to the apartment to sleep, to find stains on the bedsheets, and a dirty bathroom!
We rang to ask for a new quilt but were told nothing could be done until the following morning (we still didn't receive the blanket).

The next morning we left to spend a day in Nottingham, shopping, and just enjoying a day out as the weather was nice, came back to the apartment n started getting ready to head out for dinner and drinks. And we came back - went to sleep , woke up the next morning and left the apartment to head home.

We spent minimal time in the flat - it was just a place to leave our bags and sleep.

A few days later after checking my statement I saw £100 was taken from my account from Cranbrook house, I called up immediately as I hadn't received any notification that money would be taken from my deposit.

I was contacted on Monday by the director - Richard, who was like extremely rude and told me that his cleaning staff were "horrified" "dumbstruck" and were left "demoralized" at the horror that was left in our flat. He then said we were flat 48, when we were actually flat 52.

I asked what was the damage caused, his response was "finger prints and scuffing on the walls" As you can imagine I was torn between wanting to laugh and scream at the same time, his staff were left demoralized after seeing fingerprings. Okay Richard you need better cleaners then.

He also said he had to get painters in to repaint the whole flat because of this, he lost a booking and he had to leave his house to view the apartment as his staff were too horrified at the sight of fingerprints on the wall (the horror!) He also took this off as a cost.

He was sarcastic, rude, manipulative and just a horrible person to talk to. I have stayed in nicer apartments than these for over a year, which had a higher deposit and not one penny was taken, so how can a man take £100 for two nights?

The fact I wasn't notified that money was taken from my account was just a disgrace too, Richard basically wanted a paint job in the flat and thought the best way to get it would be to take it out of people's deposit and lie.

He also accused us of partying with people who stayed opposite us, we didn't even know who was staying opposite us, the first time we saw them was on Sunday when we were leaving. Richard you need to check you CCTV footage and see that you have proof to back up what you say because we are still waiting for the photographic evidence of the havoc we supposedly caused in his precious apartment.

Basically an awful experience, horrible service - avoid at all cost because this man will rip you off and try to con you. Stick to hotels guys!

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank ppaddy89
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Do not be fooled by what you see here, if you can manage to find the place and actually park in a parking spot you've actually paid for, then count yourself lucky!
If you enjoy adventure games and solving mysteries this Accomodation is right up your street because finding the parking facility is a nightmare, if you didn't google map it the night before... And getting into the building is like completing a mission impossible video game with codes, passwords and a secret safe to unlock to find there are no keys until you knock on the staff door in which you can get your keys handed to you once failing your mission to get into the safe.

When you finally get into the car park, you find the parking spot allocated for you is taken and will then be advised to take the janitors spot in which he will leave a threatening note for you because his work colleague did not explain that you had taken it.

When you finally get to your room and settle yourself in... Do not get too comfortable as you will get charged for just breathing in this amazing apartment you have splashed out for, for the weekend. After enjoying what me and 2 of my friends thought was a nice catch up weekend in the city we studied together in, turned into a nightmare weekend!

We were told we would have to pay a deposit upfront and as long as there were no damages the deposit is fully refundable, which is understandable. What I didn't understand was once we had left we received an email about a survey for our stay but nothing about £100 being removed from our account for damages we had never made!

The owner of the apartments stated we were in Flat 48 when in actual fact we were in flat 52, accusing us destroying the apartment and causing havoc with the apartment next door. stating we were running from one room to another, when the occupants opposite us were were complete strangers whom of which me and my friends had never met or seen during the whole stay until check-out when everyone was leaving. He explained how he was "horrified, demoralised and left his staff dumbstruck" of the place.

Upon asking the owner what the charges of damages were for, he explained that the apartment was in such a mess that it had scuffs and finger prints on the wall.... And charged us for £100 to repaint the whole flat...?!

When accusing someone of damages it helps to know which apartment they stayed in to make such accusations and if the damages were scuffs or dirty marks on the walls then it does not take the whole place to be repainted painted. In fact it takes a cleaner to do his or her job right and get a damp sponge and elbow grease to get out!

Having spent a lovely weekend with catching up with friends I have never experienced such a disorganised, complicated and disgraceful service in my life and very disappointed in the way we had been treated after the owner had received all the money he could get from us.
Would never recommend such a place and would say just to stick to the hotels as this was the biggest con of my life and would not wish it upon anyone else!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Natasha M
Stoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was my second visit to the apartments, the first time in December we drove past the entrance twice but that was my fault for not reading the instructions properly, I can understand how some people can consider the checking in procedure to be a little complicated, but if the instructions are read there really should not be a problem. We were two couples staying on this occassion and found check in very easy as I had stayed before. The apartment was very very clean, all furniture appears to be new and we were all immediately impressed. The views are incredible. If I ever have to stay in Nottingham again I wil definitely be choosing Cranbrook!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

City break to Nottingham for 3 nights stay, staff was friendly and very helpful, checking in was straight forward. stayed on the 12th floor with a Lovely view of the city, very close to city centre 5 mins walk. Loads of family activities around Nottingham. Down side is the kettle was leaking. Apart from that we had a good time, the apartment was cleaned very well. Would definitely recommend cranbrook apartments for family/couples.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family