“So convenient for University Park”

De Vere Orchard Hotel
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed here while visiting my son at the University. Could not be more convenient. Rooms are modern and chic, service is friendly, public spaces are comfortable and bright. Only gripe was that I could not get a bacon roll for my son at 11am because the bar menu stops being served for one hour from 11am until midday I was informed. I had not booked in for breakfast as I did not know what my plans were and when I turned up for breakfast I did feel slightly like a "second class citizen" because I had not pre purchased - nevertheless I was served a nice enough eggs benedict and pot of tea in the bar area but it felt a little awkward. If you do not have business on the campus bear in mind that this hotel is a drive/taxi ride from everything.

Room Tip: For those with children on campus we aware that they have a "parents rate" which is partic...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kathyinsurrey
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. I do apologise that you were unable to purchase your chosen option from the bar on this occasion. The team are always on hand to assist with any problems, such as this and hope your needs were met. The Orchard Hotel is ideally located on the university campus and only 2 miles from the city centre - giving visitors the best of both worlds.

I do hope you choose to stay with us on your next visit.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Conference hotels are not renowned for comfort and good food, but this one bucks the trend, especially in terms of the food, which would grace a five star hotel. Great ingredients, well presented, lovely service. The buffet breakfast is fine with a big choice, but not quite up to the standard of dinner, which is outstanding. Rooms are modern, well equipped, beds very comfortable. If I was within a 30 mile radius I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jennie P

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback, the comments are fantastic. We always aim for our guests to have a truly memorable stay; therefore feedback like this is just brilliant.

I do hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We booked 3 rooms at the De Vere Orchard Hotel in University Park, Nottingham. The room was comfortable though lacking a full length wall mirror. However where this hotel really let itself down was the shower room. Out of 5 people, 2 were in their 20s, in another two in their 70s and I am in my 60s. All of us are well travelled and used to staying in hotels. However not one of us could figure out how the shower worked. It looked very stylish - but was simply unusable - a case of style over substance. The others went without a shower on the two nights/ 3 days we stayed there and instead showered at the home of the people we were visiting (to their embarassment as they had recommended this hotel). I did shower because each day I telephoned reception and had someone come to the room to turn it on and to the right temperature. One of the receptionists, called Seraya, was particularly helpful. She was also helpful when there was confusion over the booking for 3 rooms. The receptionist dealing with us could not figure out the situation but Seraya stepped in and figured it out immediately. But the main problem was the inability to shower. I have given the hotel a generous 3 stars because it looks nice and the room itself was comfortable. However we will never stay there again as the ability to shower is a basic necessity in a hotel and this hotel fell down totally.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us. I welcome all comments that are raised on this public platform and personally take the time to respond to every one.

We have walk in showers with two valvues, the left hand one operates the water pressure and the right hand one operates the temperature with a blue and red indicator for cold and hot. I am so pleased that a member of the front desk team were able to assist you with this opertaion of the shower. I would not describe thsese as complicated and this have never been raied by any other guests who has stayed with us during the course of the last year.

I wish you the very best for the future

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I am not a massive fan of De Vere, but stayed here due to location. It is a brand new hotel and surpassed my expections in every sense. The room was bright and comfortable, the rate very good and the bar area was very nice to be in. The only slightly complaint I would have is that they got our drinks order wrong and then asked us if we'd take it; when we said no, they remade our drinks. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the woods
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback about your recent stay. Our customer feedback is very important to us, as is ensuring our guests' experience nothing but the best.

I do hope you choose the Orchard Hotel again on your next visit.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed here while visiting friends. Reception was busy but the staff were great and apologised for any wait.

The rooms were very clean and the bathroom was one of the largest I've stayed in. The walk in shower was great too. Air conditioning was useful too

The bar was cheap for a hotel with change from a £10 for a round of 3 drinks

Definitely stay here again

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank northernmonkey81

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the positive comments about your recent stay at the Orchard Hotel. I am very pleased that your experience was one to remember, and do hope you choose to stay with us again.

Wishing you all the best.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

A colleague and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights to attend a conference at the neighbouring East Midlands Conference Centre. The hotel is ideally situated for anyone attending events there. It really is a gorgeous hotel - both the lobby and the rooms are really nice, it was really clean and the bed was probably the comfiest hotel bed I have ever slept in; but the customer service was so bad that I would never stay there again, nor recommend it to friends.

Upon arrival we were told they had no record of our booking (2 doubles, 2 nights b&b), the guy on reception did his best and after around 20 minutes of insisting they had no spare rooms available managed to find a twin room for one night. It was around 8pm at this point so we were relieved to have somewhere to stay even if we did have to share a room. We had to pay for the room and were told that as we only had a debit card they would need to take full payment as it wouldn't be possible to take a pre-authorised payment like it would be had we had a credit card. In the morning we were told by a different member of staff that a pre-authorised payment had been taken, which completely contradicted what we had been told the night before! Luckily our company resolved the mix up (turns out it was all the hotel's fault!) and we were each given an executive double for the second night stay. I'm not sure what the price difference is but the room wasn't that different to the first night - it was a little larger, had nicer toiletries, fluffy robes, slippers, an ipod dock and some weighing scales.

Back to the first night, after spending ages sorting out our room we both just wanted to have some food and go to bed so we headed down to the restaurant and were told there was a 30 minute wait for a table, but that there was also some food available at the bar if we didn't want to wait. We were both starving so we decided to just get bar food, and were told they couldn't put any orders through for 20 minutes because the kitchen were rushed off their feet..however they said if we left our order with them they would put it through as soon as they were accepting orders again so we ordered some drinks and went to sit down and wait (the bar area is lovely). After 45 minutes we went to check on the progress of the order and were told it hadn't yet been put through! 45 minutes later we got our food. I've never had to wait 90 mins for a salmon salad before! Needless to say we complained about the wait.

There was a good choice at breakfast although they don't replenish the fried eggs often enough. On the second day I was offered tea but asked for coffee instead and the waiter said "I'm doing tea not coffee but I'm sure there'll be some coming round soon"...I didn't get any.

I needed to get into the centre of Nottingham one night I was there and enquired about transport options at reception. I was told I could get a bus either from the back of the hotel or just by the entrance off the main road, but the bus stop by the main entrance is just a university hopper/night bus stand, if you want to get into the city centre you need to walk through a alleyway to another road where the buses run quite frequently. I paid £11 for a taxi back to the hotel as it was quite late - the receptionist did not inform me of the £6 fixed price deal they have with a taxi company as mentioned by another reviewer below.

Many of the other reviews of this hotel are really positive so it was probably just that we were really unlucky having so many things go wrong during our stay...when we checked in the guy said they were at maximum capacity because the conference we were attending was huge, but if they can't operate well at maximum capacity maybe they should hire extra staff for large events?!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Emsworth89
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review following your stay with us. I would personally like to taje this time to apologise for the catalogue of errors surrounding your stay with us. Your comments are valid and i have no excuses for the error with the bedroom reservaton whohc was completeley our fault.

I have noted that your colleague who stayed with you has also posted a review of the hotel and again a lot of her comments are valid.

I would like to menton that we did apologise on the evening the hotel Customer Service Manager also spoke to you the following night, arranged a room upgrade and comlimentary wine with your dinner and we wree given very positive feedback at the time.

The £6.00 taxi deal we have with a local taxi firm relates to bedrooms booked in assocation with guests attending the FM Arena, so this does not apply to your journey.

We made contact with the Travel Agent who booked the rooms for you and the comments that were passed on do not reflect the review that has been posted.

Clearly we have failed to live up to your expectations and for this i am truly sorry.

Wishing you the very best,

Reviewed 17 November 2013

First the pros. Modern, clean, a novelty to be located within the university of Nottingham. Good modern tv, clean bathroom with funky toiletries, friendly[ish] reception staff, good sized room. Cons would be that it is not centrally located, you would preferably be coming by car if staying here. We saw a sign for the hotel at the beginning of what were the university grounds but after that there was no more signage at all so at a certain point we gave up & returned back to the main roads thinking we’d come the wrong way & wasted a bit of time confusing ourselves. The room looks fairly ‘funky’ with a nice forest looking print across the wall but it is fairly bare & ikea-like in reality, with tiny shelves to the side of the bed & little storage space. Heating was not very effective & we were close to asking reception for advice or to borrow a heater. We did ask to borrow an adaptor to recharge our phones & were told that they now charge 5 pounds [10 australian dollars] for this as previously guests have stolen them [why not put a deposit to account & refund upon their return at checkout if this is an issue?]. We were very surprised to be charged & by implication, be considered untrustworthy. I didn’t find the room or service overly comfortable & would not stay unless it was a last minute arrangement [as ours was] or if for business when functionality rather than comfort are important.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your honest feedback about your recent stay. Please do accept my sincerest apologies for the failure to meet your expectations, all of your comments have been taken on board and will be investigated further.

The team at the Orchard Hotel are always on hand to assist any guest with any problems they have during their stay, please rest assured this will all be looked in to.