“Beautiful hotel, clueless staff” 1 of 5 bubbles

De Vere Orchard Hotel
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, clueless staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Terrible stay. The hotel had not made our booking (for 2 rooms) and as it was fully booked, I had to share a twin room with my colleague. If I hadn't requested twin beds they would have given us a double! To be fair the next day they admitted their error and gave us two executive double rooms for the second night.
Dinner took 2 hours to arrive the first night, and 45 minutes for room service the next night due to a combination of too many diners and the barman forgetting to put through my order. They blamed delegates from the conference pushing up the numbers - although the hotel is part of the conference centre and so they should be able to cope with it.
Breakfast was great and most of it was self service; there were barely any waiting staff to serve us or clear tables anyway.
The hotel is beautiful with stunning architecture and decor; I only hope that their staff receive some more training as they are dragging it down.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 65Sophie
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review following your stay with us. I would personally like to taje this time to apologise for the catalogue of errors surrounding your stay with us. Your comments are valid and i have no excuses for the error with the bedroom reservaton whohc was completeley our fault.

I have noted that your colleague who stayed with you has also posted a review of the hotel and again a lot of her comments are valid.

I would like to menton that we did apologise on the evening the hotel Customer Service Manager also spoke to you the following night, arranged a room upgrade and comlimentary wine with your dinner and we wree given very positive feedback at the time.

We made contact with the Travel Agent who booked the rooms for you and the comments that were passed on do not reflect the review that has been posted.

Clearly we have failed to live up to your expectations and for this i am truly sorry.

Wishing you the very best,

Lasse Högberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

The first site of this place indicated to us that it was different to the other eight hotels we stayed at during our recent trip around England and Wales. The building has a striking, ultra modern appearance similar to newer hotels we experienced in Copenhagen and Amsterdam. The decor and furnishings in the rooms are Scandinavian minimalist in style. The rooms are large, comfortable and airy with plenty of space to move around. Bed was large and comfortable. Bathroom was large, well fitted out with a fantastic large shower. The receptionist that checked us in was a little cold and clinical but pleasant and informative. The restaurant was excellent with a large selection of tasty, nicely prepared and well presented meals. Restaurant staff were all very pleasant and friendly. Situated within the university grounds means there are plenty of lawns and paths for a quiet stroll. We stayed at the weekend so how quiet the strolling on a week day I don't know. All in all we had a very pleasant stay and this hotel will always be our first choice any time we travel through Nottingham.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karl S
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great feedback about the Orchard Hotel. I'm glad the hotel and all the facilities available were above your expectations and do hope your trip around England and Wales was what you had hoped - it sounds amazing.

I do hope you visit us again at the Orchard Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year. Efficient and friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms, lovely bathroom, restaurant is excellent, breakfast is fine and better than that you get at the chains.

The orchard and Millennium Garden nice for a morning stroll.

1 Thank Squid397
Dear Guest,

Thank you for all your positive comments about your latest stay with us. The Orchard Hotel loves welcoming back previous guests!

Look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Wishing you all the best.

Shrewsbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

i did not realise until i turned up the hotel is situated in the grounds of the university. it is a lovely tranquil setting right in the hub of the city close to the motorway. The appearance of the hotel is beautiful and this is carried out throughout the interior as well. the rooms are very nicely decorated and immaculately clean. the staff were both polite and interested. if you need to stop in the Nottingham area this hotel, i do not think you will be disappointed

1 Thank Richard P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your fantastic comments about your recent stay. The Orchard Hotel is very unique in appearance and has been carefully designed to be this way.

I do hope you choose to stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back.

surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed here while visiting my son at the University. Could not be more convenient. Rooms are modern and chic, service is friendly, public spaces are comfortable and bright. Only gripe was that I could not get a bacon roll for my son at 11am because the bar menu stops being served for one hour from 11am until midday I was informed. I had not booked in for breakfast as I did not know what my plans were and when I turned up for breakfast I did feel slightly like a "second class citizen" because I had not pre purchased - nevertheless I was served a nice enough eggs benedict and pot of tea in the bar area but it felt a little awkward. If you do not have business on the campus bear in mind that this hotel is a drive/taxi ride from everything.

Room Tip: For those with children on campus we aware that they have a "parents rate" which is partic...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kathyinsurrey
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. I do apologise that you were unable to purchase your chosen option from the bar on this occasion. The team are always on hand to assist with any problems, such as this and hope your needs were met. The Orchard Hotel is ideally located on the university campus and only 2 miles from the city centre - giving visitors the best of both worlds.

I do hope you choose to stay with us on your next visit.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Conference hotels are not renowned for comfort and good food, but this one bucks the trend, especially in terms of the food, which would grace a five star hotel. Great ingredients, well presented, lovely service. The buffet breakfast is fine with a big choice, but not quite up to the standard of dinner, which is outstanding. Rooms are modern, well equipped, beds very comfortable. If I was within a 30 mile radius I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

1 Thank Jennie P
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback, the comments are fantastic. We always aim for our guests to have a truly memorable stay; therefore feedback like this is just brilliant.

I do hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit.

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We booked 3 rooms at the De Vere Orchard Hotel in University Park, Nottingham. The room was comfortable though lacking a full length wall mirror. However where this hotel really let itself down was the shower room. Out of 5 people, 2 were in their 20s, in another two in their 70s and I am in my 60s. All of us are well travelled and used to staying in hotels. However not one of us could figure out how the shower worked. It looked very stylish - but was simply unusable - a case of style over substance. The others went without a shower on the two nights/ 3 days we stayed there and instead showered at the home of the people we were visiting (to their embarassment as they had recommended this hotel). I did shower because each day I telephoned reception and had someone come to the room to turn it on and to the right temperature. One of the receptionists, called Seraya, was particularly helpful. She was also helpful when there was confusion over the booking for 3 rooms. The receptionist dealing with us could not figure out the situation but Seraya stepped in and figured it out immediately. But the main problem was the inability to shower. I have given the hotel a generous 3 stars because it looks nice and the room itself was comfortable. However we will never stay there again as the ability to shower is a basic necessity in a hotel and this hotel fell down totally.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us. I welcome all comments that are raised on this public platform and personally take the time to respond to every one.

We have walk in showers with two valvues, the left hand one operates the water pressure and the right hand one operates the temperature with a blue and red indicator for cold and hot. I am so pleased that a member of the front desk team were able to assist you with this opertaion of the shower. I would not describe thsese as complicated and this have never been raied by any other guests who has stayed with us during the course of the last year.

I wish you the very best for the future

Kind Regards,