“Very good and quiet hotel”

De Vere Orchard Hotel
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Very nice hotel in the beautiful Nottingham University campus park, modern design and a wide use of wood panels. We traveled as a couple, and we've been given a queen bed, that was a bit small for us; asked for a room change and it was promptly done with a double one. Room size regular, only with the hiccup of a not very functional wardrobe; too much space wasted for ironing board. Bathroom quite nice, and big shower. Wide choice and good quality in both English and continental breakfast; service nice and attentive. Hotel room and breakfast at a quite reasonable price. We would definitely come back when in Nottingham.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave some fantastic feedback about your recent stay at the Orchard Hotel.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

First time stay at this hotel, but is. Regularly used by colleagues
Room was clean, tidy and more than adequate.
Room decor and atmosphere leaned toward a more masculine feel and I didn't like the fact there was only a tiny mirror on the dresser, although bathroom had a decent mirror and also full length in the wardrobe... I just like using a dresser June for make up.
Room was on first floor and was directly overlooked by the mezzanine area from reception, this I didn't like and so kept curtains closed.
Breakfast was the usual self service buffet, with standard fair on offer. Tea and coffee was served at the table, but a colleague asked for green tea and was told it was not available as part of the stat rad breakfast and would have to be paid for in addition to the £8.50 already paid, and yet on a previous visit this request was readily provided with no fuss at all, I suspect the member of staff who had not had proper training and instead of asking he just have a no answer
All in all a reasonable hotel for business use.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor on the right if a female alone, rooms could be overlooked
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Orchard Hotel. Our aim is to ensure all guests have a memorable stay.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I recently booked for three nights and I have to say the hotel is incredible value for money, well actaully it's just great. The rooms are big and clean, not too mention meodern and the hotel is located very close to the town centre.
My only gripe is that I informed a member of staff at reception that I would not be requiring my room for the final day and so would like to check out early and so would like a refund for the final day. I was told that cut off for a cancellation was midday and as I was an hour and a half past this cut off I would not be able to get a refund.
Whilst I appreciate that all hotels need a cut-off time in order to re-let out the room. I would have thought that this member of staff would have exercised a bit of flexibility, as I had mentioned that the cleaning staff had not yet been to the rooms and that I had booked to stay for a further two nights this coming week. However this all seemed to fall on deaf ears.
So in light of the above I am now looking to cancel my upcoming reservation and rebook somewhere else, which is a shame.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Vimal G
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest,

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I can only apologise if we failed to meet your expectations in respect of our cancellation policy. It is shame that you are considering to stay elsewhere when returning to Nottingham. I do hope that you have a fantastic stay at your alternative location.

Many Thanks for the feedback.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel with a large group to attend a Rotary Cricket festival. Overall, it was a positive experience, with a modern, clean and comfortable room. However, I would suggest the following improvements: provision of a face washer, supply of more than one small cake of soap (at least one for the shower and one for the wash basin) and somewhere to put the soap on the vanity unit. I would also expect a hotel of this quality to provide proper shampoo and conditioner, not just a generic body/ hair wash.
I agree with other reviewers that the bar service was very slow, and the lack of sporting channels on the room TV was frustrating for sports-minded guests.
A group of eight of us ate one night in the dining room. The main course was very disappointing. Most of us ordered salmon, which, while tasty, came with virtually no accompaniments, making it inadequate for a decent meal and therefore very overpriced. On the other hand, many of us also ordered a creme brûlée for dessert, and this was substantial and excellent. The breakfasts were also very good.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most recent review following your stay with us. I have taken your comments on board and i would also draw on the comments made by your group organiser from Australia.

Feedback is always welcome and will help us improve the offering we have.

Wish you the very best,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I booked this hotel to take my girlfriend away for the weekend for her birthday. Although the hotel knew it was booked for her birthday I wasn't expecting anything. I was amazed by the surprise they thought to leave in our room...on the dressing table was a piece of slate with two chocolate brownies decoratively arranged and "Happy Birthday" written in icing sugar. A really great start to our break. Thank you very much to the hotel for arranging this and for generally offering great service and a lovely hotel. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of a staying in Nottingham.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such a great review about your recent stay here at the Orchard Hotel. It's great to hear what our customers think about the facilities available, and I am glad your stay was a memorable one for you and your girlfriend.

Please do visit us again soon.

Wishing you all best

Reviewed 10 August 2014

After reading recent reviews regarding the hotel we were wishing we hadn't booked, but we needn't have worried.
We had booked a travelzoo dinner bed and breakfast with bottle of wine. Check in was easy, the room 233 was lovely, clean and comfy, with an enormous bath and lashings of hot water. dinner was a delight and the breakfast was varied, plentiful and good quality.
Although the hotel was full, there was ample parking and when we left in the pouring rain, umbrellas in the lobby entrance were inspired

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave some fantastic comments about your recent trip to the Orchard Hotel. Feedback is very important to us here, as is ensuring our guests have a truly memorable stay.

We are unique in the facilities we have and also in location. Please do visit us again soon…

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just spent 6 days staying at the Orchard Hotel.

The hotel is set in the beautiful grounds of the University campus. The initial impression is of light and space. Very well appointed rooms with walk in shower and quality toiletries-even weighing scales! Bathrobes provided. TV has more channels than in most hotels, even Sky Sport which pleased my husband no end. The bed is huge and very comfortable. The breakfast is buffet style, both continental and English. I enjoyed the fresh fruit salad but found the continental meat (only salami style) and cheese (only one type, probably gouda), a little disappointing. The cooked food is reasonable though would benefit from being a bit hotter- luke warm beans and eggs. Coffee and tea also not very hot. There is a plentiful supply and the staff are friendly and helpful.

The only reason I have not given 5 stars is a design fault of the hotel. The rooms have a ledge above the window, which when it rains, causes the water to ricochet off sounding like fireworks or rapid gun fire. The doors to the rooms seem to slam which is a bit disturbing during the night. One other small quibble, we ordered newspapers for the Saturday which did not arrive but would have been charged for until we told reception and then unordered papers were deposited outside the door on Sunday. We had to return those to reception to avoid a charge.

There are no fridges in the rooms.
I would recommend this hotel to any visitors to Nottingham or the University.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your honest feedback about your recent stay at the Orchard Hotel. All feedback is very important to us here and all your comments will be taken on board and looked in to.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Wishing you all the best.