“Overall good place visit”
Review of Shepherds Rest

Shepherds Rest
Ranked #194 of 1,357 Restaurants in Nottingham
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A warm welcome to the Shepherds Rest, Bagthorpe We are a delightful 17th Century Inn located in one of the hidden valleys of Nottinghamshire.If you like the old traditional pub atmosphere with a great selection of homemade meals and award winning cask ales then this family run pub is the place to be.The current owners, Terry and Glyn Groves took over the premises in November 2013, quickly investing time and effort to bring the Shepherds back to it's best. Here you will find a wide choice of local produce from the best suppliers as well as a wide range of wines, fine beers and soft drinks. Our menus are based upon locally sourced and seasonably available products. The best organic food is what's grown closest to you - and it tastes better, come try it for yourself.Our latest addition is an authentic Italian Coffee Maker which allows us to offer speciality coffees and a choice of over 9 speciality teas and hot chocolate.What you will not find are games machines, a pool table or Sky Sports to spoil the ambiance, just a cosy atmosphere within relaxed, rural surroundings! We look forward to seeing you!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went here both Sunday and bank holiday Monday and had a good day both time. The garden and kids play area is fantastic, a good mixture of big stuff and bits for the little ones plus a free bouncy castle on the Monday. Had both menu food and BBQ.

Off the menu had a steak and a burger and this was the only reason we knocked down from 5. Firstly they didn't tell us stuff was out when we first ordered (I wanted the seafood basket) and after that I think our order got lost as we waited well over an hour for our food. This wasn't too bad as the weather was excellent but on a normal day sat inside with our little one this would have been too much. All the staff were apologetic so I suppose mistakes happen. The food was great but both my wife and I weren't keen on the chips. They are clearly home made but we love a good crispy chip and these were a bit soft. That said the steak and burger were outstanding.

As for the BBQ, couldn't fault it. Cracking job on the mini hog roast.

Overall, the staff are great, the pubs location and garden are fantastic and the food was good so will definitely be going back again. My one recommendation would be to up the food game to the next level, this wouldn't impact the cost just slight tweaks and this place would be outstanding.

Shepherdsrest21, Owner at Shepherds Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments. We are about to launch our new menu hence some shortages. Service should have been quicker. And we will ensure this happens.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First time visit on a lovely sunny Sunday, gorgeous pub, gardens, quaint and well decorated, a pub me and my husband love. We went for Sunday lunch and very pleased to have table for 4 for the two us us, not cramped into a corner. We ordered starters as we both love a prawn cocktail and wasn't disappointed. Served with warm baguette and butter it was a treat. For mains I had beef, my husband had turkey and after the gorgeous starter I was already planning our next visit. The main course Sunday dinner was a let down.... Well actually just the potatoes were a let down which spoiled it. Meat was fine, fresh veg, plenty of it too carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, leeks and cabbage. Fantastic. Home made giant yorkies and a stuffing ball. The potatoes however were awful. Yes bloody awful. The creamed mash was like wallpaper paste, I assume it was instant mash, sloppy and bland. The roasties were small shapes of potatoe with skins on but hadn't much roast about them. Parsnips only just better. So verdict, would we go again yes, would like to try the usual menu. Would even go for Sunday lunch again but would ask for no potatoes. A real shame as they let down the whole meal. £31 for starters, mains and drinks for us both. Get your act together with the potatoes and it would be a fantastic dinner.

Our apologies for the potatoes. I can assure you that this was not the usual standard we offer. We have had some deliveries which were of poor quality and have changed supplier as a result. Please try us again to give us chance to show you why we get good reviews.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My daughter and i decided to visit the Shepards for a Sunday lunch , dinner was tepid ,vegetables were hot obviously been reheated in a microwave ,decided on a pudding ,really wished we hadn't £4-95 for a shop bought meringue with three berries on and my daughters sticky toffee pudding tasted burnt ,only spoons bought with dessert no fork
Think it was landlord who took the payment mumbled something about slow service but shouldn't have been because plenty of staff he said , wasn't asked if everything was ok . I was going to mention pudding was overpriced and very average but decided if he couldn't be bothered to ask he didn't care

Sorry for your disappointment I wish you had mentioned the puddings. We would have been happy to refund the cost. Please try us again in the ear future to give us chance to show what we can do.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Yet again we had a fantastic meal and it was great value for money. Two elderly grandparents, a mother and a three year old came with me and all cleared their plates. Great staff and nothing was too much trouble, the playground outside is just another bonus!

100% recommend and will be back soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

The staff are very friendly and attentive. The food is excellent and I love that they have there own beer. Pay them a visit and enjoy the experience.

Shepherdsrest21, Owner at Shepherds Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks so much Sarah, will join you in a pint of Shepherds Rest Ale. Terry...