“I thought I had seen the worst, I hadn't until I stayed here!”

The Clarence Hotel Nottingham
Ranked #45 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Shrewsbury
“I thought I had seen the worst, I hadn't until I stayed here!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I'll keep this simple because I could write pages on how awful this place was. If I had to give it a star rating it wouldn't get a pimple on the point of one.
The first room we were given wasn't finished, the builders stuff was still in it, the shower was in a box and there were no beds!
The room I eventually stayed in did have a tele with free view but the box wasn't connected to an ariel and the tele had a big hole in it.
The four light switches didn't actually switch anything and the sink in the bathroom had a huge crack in it so I couldn't use it.
The beds were ex MOD with plastic covered mattresses and I don't think the carpet had seen a Hoover this side of Christmas.
There were signs up saying what time breakfast would be served but when I asked where I should go for the morning grub the chap on reception told me they'd stopped serving, a month ago!
To be fair the shower was new and worked well.
I'd describe this as a hotel of last resort. Maybe in a few months when the ongoing renovations are finished it might be worth a look but only if everywhere else is full.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mark L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Yes its cheap.....if you want drugs or a hooker it will cost you more,but not much! Booked over phone without checking it out as in a hurry for a room.After parking on main road was asked twice if i needed any drugs in 200 yrd walk to hotel.Checked in for about 5 mins then walked out.Room was dirty and very unsafe with punch holes in door.Told them to keep money(card) and left,then rang bank and cancelled my card.Better safe than sore.Say hello to the cricket for me.

• Stayed March 2014
16 Thank Paul D

Travellers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Nottingham
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Rooms are filthy mould in the bathroom, toilet never been cleaned properly in years, carpets are so dirty you cannot stand on them, found a cricket of all things eating crumbs off the floor, drug use with owners consent in smoke area and in rooms, had to have tv changed over and noticed the wiring is a health hazard and illegal no wonder its hidden above the fake ceiling, full area is full if immigrants cant walk down the street and hear an english accent although they have no problem approaching you for money the area is in radford one of the worst areas in nottingham so be aware of this when booking

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank Thecontractor1
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

There were a couple of issues with the room, mainly that we had requested a four bed room so that we could all stay together, however upon arrival was told that there was an issue and that the booking was never confirmed, we were then it seems put into two rooms that were completely unfinished. i had explained this to the man in the front office that night (saturday 15th march 2014) and shown him the photos of the room that i refused to stay in due to it being fit for nobody.

i understood that the rooms were still being renovated but the toilet being unclean and bathroom being moldy, coupled with the carpet having more marks on then anything id ever seen and our window being cable tied to a chair to enable it to actually be closed was just a disgrace.

Even the front office said he was unaware of the state of the rooms and seemed horrified that we had been put in these rooms at all once shown the photos. had the rooms been clean and tidy, i would not have had a problem with them, even the mishap with the booking would not have bothered me. what cant be overlooked is the actual state of the rooms, including taps missing and taps not working, its just unacceptable.
Youll love the real time photos of this place, please do flick through and then laugh, and choose somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Louis V
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Booked a 1 night stay in june last year for my birthday, for me and my friend, just us 2 girls. we caught a taxi to the hotel, when we arrived the taxi driver said he was shocked we asked to be taken here as it's a rough neighbourhood, with drug geals and prostitution lerking around.. advised we don't go outside the hotel alone at night and definitely get a taxi - don't walk! freaked us out straight away! the woman receptionist was quite icey when we went in. located our room and we were shocked to find the lock on our door was held in place with a piece of folded up paper!! shocking. paid £50 odd for one night and the beds were camp style beds with cheap, musty smelling nylon sheets. carpet was a faded brown, worn and in need of a good hoover. Did have clean towels (only plus) light didnt work in the bathroom so had to take a shower in the dark!! Could say more but do I really need to? Hid all our bags under the beds when we went out to the club as nothing felt safe!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ameh w
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel was booked online despite reading some reviews for it we thought we would give it the benefit of the doubt. On arrival to the hotel the carpets were old and dirty and it was even worst upon entering the room. What can only be described as camp bed were set up 4 in the room even thought we just sought a double bed. The toilet was unflushed and the hotel stank of cigarette smoke. There were holes in the doors and the room was dusty. We could perhaps understand its use for a stag venue but U would beg of you not to take women there!!! A truely horrific experience - we checked out within 10 minutes of arrival. The manager refunded some of our money but not all of it. Be warned!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CakeEmily
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Probably the worst hotel I have ever stopped at.
Nylon carpets, worn and in need of a vacuum, grubby polystyrene ceiling tiles, low energy lighting, ambient smell of cigarettes everywhere - including the bedding, cheap mattresses on fold-up beds. Absolutely shocking!
One saving grace was that there were clean towels.

Didn't stop for breakfast as the chap behind reception said he was cooking it and recommended we go to a nearby cafe!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends