“Colwick Hall - Bizarre Eccentricities in a Beautiful Building”
Review of Colwick Hall Hotel

Colwick Hall Hotel
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Colwick Hall – Bizarre Eccentricities in a Beautiful Building”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

In short very odd and cheap.

Fantastic 18th century building in stunning surroundings. Balance that with Chopin Polonaises as loud piped music at dinner and breakfast; a choice that is just wrong! Then add the bizarre experience that was breakfast: 1/2 way through we were asked if we wanted more from the buffet as the waiter was going to clear it away (and did) then at 0959 he told us to move to the reception to finish our coffees so he could clear our table - amazing!

Dinner was included in the £99 DB&B for two rate. Mostly it was good but desserts, which outside an inclusive rate would have been £6.95 each, comprised three blueberries and two strawberries, bought-in meringues and aerosol cream!

The bedroom was equipped with everything needed to make it unremarkable in positive or negative terms: a tad tired decoration, in the eaves, a good size, adequate shower, splashing of one of the garden's fountains through the open window. Only one bedside table with the wardrobe pushed right next to the bed.

We'd probably go back as at the price, the eccentricities can be overlooked, we'd definitely love to see what the first floor principal bedrooms look like; if they match the house's mahogany main staircase, the mirrored hall, ladies downstairs loo et.al then they must be something to behold.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We got married at Colwick Hall Hotel on 18.08.12 and can honestly say they as a team made everything perfect i would highly reccomend this hotel to anyone, Birgit the wedding coordinator was brilliant she managed to sort out anything we wanted and all the staff were so lovely polite and accommadating i realy have nothing bad to say, It is a beautiful property making an amazing setting for photographs, The meal was beautiful and the evening Bbq equily so! Massive compliaments to the chef and staff in the kitchens. Even the breakfast was lovely i the morning buffet style with hot and cold options! I only live 5 minute drive away but can not wait to go again soon for lunch! Mid week in the George Town resturant you can get 2 courses for around £7 and 3 courses roughly £10 it is Melasian food on that menu but totally fresh and beautifully cooked! Brill,Brill,Brill,Brill

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We booked two double bed rooms. The room was quit big cozy and comfortable with all the necessary facilities. It is close to the racecourse and beautiful lake at the back.The front service was very good and provide us a lot of valuable information and very helpful served lovely dinner at georgetown restaurant . The breakfast was very nice continental as well as cooked food and service too good. we are sure to choose this hotel if we could be back at Nottingham next time for holidays.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

my friend and i decided to go on a last minute break, saw this and thought that it would be lovely for a relaxing night. The hotel was beautiful. On arrival we were greeted by a hotel receptionist. He was polite and well dressed, we checked in and the receptionist asked me for my credit card and said that he was going to charge £100 pounds to it. Is this normal practice as the room was only charged at £49 for the night? This was my new card and I couldn't think of the pin number, before i could say anything else he said its alright i have bypassed your pin number. He then added to say that my card had declined. I was very worried as my card was new and had not been used before. I paid the room balance on my debit card but just for the £49 not the original £100 asked for. We had lots of bags and a suitcase, being 2 females. Our room was on the second floor, yet no assistance was offered so we were left to struggle. On entering the bedroom, it was beautiful, a lovely big bed, very large bathroom, bath robes, a flat screen tv and tea and coffee making facilities. no bottled water was in the room as stated on hotels.com. we plugged in our fridge as i'm an insulin dependent diabetic and need my insulin to be kept cold especially when its so hot outside. The fridge did not work, the tv also didn't work along with the dvd player. The hotel staff couldn't change theses items as the hotel was fully booked and everyone had checked in. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls near the very small window and on closer inspection there was broken glass and cigarette ends outside on the window ledge plus the upholstery was deeply stained. We went for a walk around the lake and the church ruins, it was picturesque. We had an excellent nights sleep and woke refreshed. The shower was powerful and felt lovely, with lovely fresh smelling shower gels, shampoo, even a sewing kit. We went down for breakfast where the receptionist greeted us, on arrival to the restaurant we were greeted by a member of staff. We sat down and the man offered us tea or coffee and said for us to help ourselves to the continental breakfast trolley, which had fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, yogurt and juices. We helped ourselves, the croissants were very dry but the fruit was fresh, halfway through eating breakfast the man came to out table and asked if we had finished with the trolley as he was going to pack it away, this was 08.49. we said we had finished, packed our bags and checked out, paying for the 'breakfast' before we left. We felt like we were rushed at breakfast. We shall not be returning to Colwick hall hotel as a 4* hotel should have higher standards.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lisa s
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This was our third stay at Colwick Hall as we were in Nottingham on business. Regretfully the experience was not as good as the last 2 times we have stayed. The price we payed was only £109 for dinner, bed & breakfast, but this is a 4 star hotel so there is a level of comfort, cleanliness & service that would be expected of a hotel of this rating.

We stayed in the Mozart room, which you can see pictures of on Trip Advisor, it's the room with blue patterned wallpaper; initially it looked wonderful as the room was huge but once you started to look around you could see that it was tired & dirty! In one of the pictures you can see a 2 seater sofa, what you can't see is the large stain on the seat that probably measured at least 25cm across. Some of the other furniture in the room was tired.

The bathroom was huge! But was very dusty in places, the tiles in the shower cubicle needed a good clean as did the shower head which was covered in limescale.

When we went downstairs the following morning & walked through the reception, I would have expected the man behind the desk to look up & say good morning, he didn't! We went onto breakfast & expected to be greeted by a member of staff, but there was nobody there! After a couple of minutes the man I'd seen at reception came in & asked us what we would like for breakfast. We ordered a cooked breakfast which included sausage, bacon, eggs, tomato, mushrooms & hash brown, there was juice, bread, croissants & cereal for us to help ourselves to. I had an apple juice & my husband had an orange juice - these both tasted watered down & diluted. Our coffees came which were weak & tasteless. After a short while our cooked breakfasts came & looked very nice, except there were no hash browns! As the man had again gone back out to reception we didn't bother to ask about the missing hash browns, but then literally as I had put my cutlery down having finished my breakfast the man came in with 2 hash browns on a small plate! There was no apology.

When we left breakfast & walked back through the reception there were 2 more staff there...again neither of them said good morning!

As a 4 star hotel, one should leave feeling delighted & longing to return again very soon, sadly this is not the case! I emailed the management at Colwick Hall but they have not replied to my email. Next time I visit Nottingham I will look for somewhere else to stay

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Melinda_Stuart
I am sorry we did not get everything quite perfect and have attended to your points immediately. Thank you for your feedback which is very valuable to us. I had not received your email and upon reading your review I went back to trace it and found it was in the spam (admittedly should have checked this), and hence apologies for not having got back to you sooner. We have since spoken and kindly contact me direct on your next visit and I shall ensure everything is spot on.
Thank you once again for your honest feedback which I have shared and addressed with all the team.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Well, the last review on here, the heading and name probably sums up the nature of the person leaving the review and their understanding of good taste.
I travel all over the country, every week, often in 5 star hotels and in terms of value for money, this was fantastic.
The grounds and entrance are beautiful. The staff were most welcoming and genuinely pleased to have us there, not some plastic McDonalds greeting. The rooms are of different standards, but all a million times better than a corporate box you might get in some of the pass through business hotels.
I first stayed a month ago - in an executive room for £59 for 2 people and got breakfast thrown in. The room had lots of character and charm, came with robes and slippers, bottled water and biscuits, a fridge, flat screen tv and trouser press. The bed spreads and carpets were beautiful, traditional in style, in keeping with the era and the only negative I could say was that there was in one area a piece of wallpaper coming away from the wall. Yes it looked tired compared to a modern corporate box, but with so much character and charm. And then I walked into the bathroom. The best bathroom I have had in any hotel - better than the 5 star hotels I stay in on business. A walk in wetroom - as big as the bedroom. Lovely touches, lots of good quality toileries including sewing kit, shower cap, nail files, shampoos, condiitoner, shoe shines etc. I liked it so much, I booked again last week.
This time, I booked into a superior room for 2 with breakfast for £79. Again, wonderful greeting, staff couldn't do enough for us, A huge room - 4 poster bed and the most amazing bathrom ever, ever seen - as big as my living room at home - about 25ft x 15ft - equisite victorian wallpaper, a chaise lounge, a stand alone roll top bath, a his and hers sink, a walk in shower and a full length stand alone mirror - a bathroom to die for. The views from the room were amazing.
We went down to dinner and they have a great British and Malaysian menu and also lots of cocktails on offer. Food was good, not pretending to be Michelin standard restaurant, but good service and reasonably priced.
In the morning we were in a hurry and had to leave at 7.00a.m. Breakfast does not start until 7am but they were very happy to prepare us some hot bacon butties and juice to go.
All in all, fantastic value and friendly service which we couldn't fault. I would happily recommend this place to anyone who wants good service, old fashioned, period furnishings, in keeping with the era, in lovely grounds and the best bathrooms money can buy. But if you're looking for modern, boutique type accommodation and do not appreciate the history and antiques, then it probably isn't for you.
10/10 for the Colwick Hall Hotel for me - we'll be back again soon :)

Room Tip: Pay the extra £10 a night for superior over executive and there is no way you could be disappointed...
Dear LASTMINUTETRA
Thank you for your kind comments. I am very pleased you thoroughly enjoyed the historic charm and grandeur of Colwick Hall. The team work very hard to deliver a high quality experience from the exquisite cuisine to the attentive service, and from the carefully manicured grounds to the majestic bedrooms, bathrooms, and function suites.
Thank you for giving the right perspective. We look forward to serving you again.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We had our wedding reception at this hotel 25 years ago, before it was a hotel, so we thought it would be fun to go back and spend a night there. The booking, made by telephone, was easy and when I said we were celebrating our wedding anniversary we were told we would be given a suitable room. This was certainly the case, our room was huge with a beautiful 4 poster bed and an absolutely massive bathroom, (with really lovely toiletries). We loved it and were made very welcome by all staff who were very friendly. We certainly were not disappointed with anything and appreciate that staying in such an old house is a privilege, so much better than sterile new buildings with no character. The gardens are lovely and lead onto a wonderful park area. Our evening meal was scrumptious and breakfast was plenty and tasty, my husband certainly had a huge plateful.
Our whole experience was delightful, we booked a dinner, bed and breakfast combined which was fabulous value for money as well, would recommend this to others.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wordsworth room I think - which was lovely. Great views of the garden and huge bath...
Dear CMGadsby
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I shall pass your delightful comments to all our team. It was indeed a pleasure for all of us to serve you during your stay and we look forward to your spending many more of your anniversaries here at Colwick Hall.
Thank you once again and see you soon.