“Couldnt have asked for more”
Review of Colwick Hall Hotel

Colwick Hall Hotel
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed at Colwick Hall for my wifes 40th birthday. It was a suprise night away from the kids and i have to say that Sam and the rest of the team could not have done more to make this a special occasion. I asked if i could check in early to prepare the room with balloons etc and that was no problem. I arranged flowers which were waiting for me on arrival. The room was lovely. It was a superior room(104) which overlooked the lake. Beautiful large sash windows framed the gardens perfectly. The bed was a very comfortable 4 poster and as for the bathroom,wow. It was huge with a lovely roll top bath in the centre and an amazing shower in the corner. Double sinks too, all very clean and well maintained. I decorated the bathroom with hundreds of tea lights which looked amazing.
We had a room service breakfast which was cooked to perfection and delivered on time,to the minute! Our toast was missing so i called reception. It couldnt have been 3 minutes before there was a knock on the door with hot toast.
Both on arrival and departure the reception team went out of their way to talk to us which was genuine and appreciated.
I cant comment on the standard rooms or the restaurant as we didnt see these but if they are anything like the superior room we experienced they will be spot on.
Could i have asked for anymore from my stay. NO!!! Well done Colwick Hall and thank you.

Room Tip: Superior room 104 was perfect with large flat screen tv. I understand other rooms have tvs which are...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul R
Selva M, Owner at Colwick Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Dear Paul R
It was an immense pleasure to serve you at Colwick Hall for your wife's 40th. I am delighted you thoroughly enjoyed the service and the luxury of the stately bedrooms.

You stayed in our William Wordsworth room - each of the individually designed bedrooms are named after famous people in and around 1776 when the house was remodelled by John Carr of York for Sir John Musters. Just 15 more to go!

We can't wait to be of service again and would love to host all your forthcoming events when you are in the area. Just to keep you posted there is a very special Mothering Sunday luncheon and wine on in the oppulent Grand Ballroom.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

My first visit here. This place is filled with bags of grandeur and character. The staff were very friendly and it's in a very convenient location overlooking the racecourse and set in beautiful grounds.
I was a little suprised to see the modern style furniture (although good quality) in the bedroom, but I can see this combination of old and new can work if you like that sort of thing. Given the lovely big bedroom and the nice bathroom I was a little disappointed that the only window was very small and high up so you could see nothing much.
The food here was excellent and given the quality reasonably priced.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Selva M, Owner at Colwick Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2013

Dear Geoff S
A very warm welcome from all at Colwick Hall and be this the first of many more visits to come.

I am so glad you enjoyed the charm and grandeur, and as you say within striking distance of the city. Being a listed building we actually had to work v hard to get windows in as there were none on the second floor, so are fortunate to have got the view over the balustrading.

Getting very excited as its our Wedding Fair this weekend. Thank you for your wonderful review.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

We have stayed at Colwick Hall on numerous occasions over the last few years and have always enjoyed our stay. Executive rooms fit our requirements and when we require a lovely meal we use the Georgetown restaurant. The full English breakfasts are always good. The hotel is in Colwick Park by the race course, and is a lovely place to walk on a summers evening! Providing a suitable room was available, Colwick Hall would always be in our top three places to stay in Nottingham!

Room Tip: The Executive rooms we normally use are on the top floor, however we would prefer a superiour room w...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Peter I
Always a pleasure to serve you. On behalf of all the team, I thank you for your custom.

Thanks for your lovely feedback and see you soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

The reception area and public areas of this hotel are stunning and the staff were helpful and welcoming. Our room was huge and generally clean It was decorated and furnished to a very high standard, just a few niggles there should have been complimentary bottled water and tissues. Just three hangers in the wardrobe is a bit mean and the lighting arond the mirrors was very poor for doing make up etc.The bed was very comfy and we slept well but were awoken to the sounds of the bins which were below our room. The windows in our room were frosted so you couldnt see out onto the bins and general refuse so there was no view but this just made the room feel a bit like a cell! At breakfast the buffet selection was pitiful and you had to make your own toast from some rather inferior sliced bread. After ordering a vegetarian breakfast I was surprised to be offered bacon and meat sausage TWICE! but when the correct food did arrived it was nicely presented and well cooked.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Brenda F

Thank you for your kind review and also bringing to my attention the hangers and mirror - sorted now! I have shared your constructive feedback with all the team and many thanks for your helpful comments.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to seeing you at Colwick Hall again very soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel 8th and 9th February 2013 to celebrate his birthday. The hotel is lovely and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We dined both nights in the Georgetown restaurant and the Malaysian and Indian food excellent, followed by delicious cocktails in the beautiful bar area. We stayed in the Amadeus Mozart room which was fabulous and very spacious with a lovely bathroom to match and great views over the racecourse. The garden between the house and the lake is very picturesque and would be the perfect location for a wedding. All in all it was a very enjoyable stay and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Selva M, Owner at Colwick Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Dear JayneChristi-Geddes

Thank you for your superb review. Am very glad you enjoyed the luxurious facilities in our spacious and oppulent bedrooms and bathrooms. The team will be thrilled with your fantastic comments and it was indeed our pleasure to serve you.

You both clearly enjoyed the variety of cuisine on offer and soaked in thr true Georgetown experience with our legendary Singapore Slings.

I also take this opportunity to say Well Done to all the team for their superb work - just had news from the Visit England Inspector that we scored an overall 84% Country House Hotel 4star with most areas in the high 80s/90.

We look forward to seeing you lots more at Colwick.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Didn't stay at the hotel, but had a meal at the restaurant. Boxing day meal to give the ladies a treat and break after Christmas day. From the minute we got there we felt rushed. As we sat awaiting our starters, we noticed several tables being cleared away with partially eaten meals. The soup was of reasonable standard, however the potted prawns was like a bowl of set lard. They changed for soup with no fuss. The mains were well presented but not of the highest edible standard. Three fish mains, partially eaten, surprise surprise. One main of beef which was of a reasonable standard. It would have been better had the horseradish arrived before the last two mouthfuls. Not pudding time yet, but many tables around us were being cleared of all tableware and cloths. Feeling even more rushed. The sweet was pleasant but no more, and the coffee tepid at best. After a total time of 1 hour 10 mins we left, more than a little disappointed. A letter of complaint about the experience was sent, but to NO SURPRISE a reply we still await.

An experience to be missed and a place never to be returned.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Selva M, Owner at Colwick Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Dear pazzags

Firstly sorry from me and all the team for our errors. We had one letter and we immediately addressed points therein and replied to the address provided in Sandiacre early last month - so please rest assured we had replied back to you. We certainly value all customer comments immensely and even more so when you had only visited us weeks earlier and thoroughly enjoyed the wedding breakfast meal at Colwick Hall, you refer to in your letter by post. Having read your comment here I am posting a copy of the letter again.

We work hard to serve honest good food at excellent value and this is certainly the case on Boxing Day. We were happy to swap the starter. We had many compliments on the day and yes indeed the staff did clear tables as would be expected in order to relay them - tthe cloths too on this occassion as they are polished wood veneer tables. We have them clothed for dining but exposed wood for weddings ready for the one we had the day after.

We obviously didn't hit it off right with you reading your comments, however I do believe there must be some great misunderstanding on this occasion - we value our customers greatly and it is never our intention to rush you. I personally welcome you back for a meal on me and don't believe that you will conclude that your comments are representative of the service we offer nor justified.

I trust we can make amends and we can make you a fan of Colwick Hall.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

I stayed consecutive 6 nights and entertained guests for dinner on several nights.

This is a high quality hotel with large well appointed rooms.

Staff are both pleasant and very helpful.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner exceeded expectations.

Value for money.

Room Tip: All room are good and now issues with noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AA8090
Selva M, Owner at Colwick Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Dear AA8090
My team and I were delighted to serve you during your week at Colwick Hall.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the variety of the menu and had chance to breakfast, lunch and dine with us. The bedrooms are also large and so give you lots of space and a great sense of home away from home, especially travelling from across the Atlantic and spending several nights with us.

All from Colwick send our love and best wishes

See you again soon