“Great Wedding Venue”

Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Nottingham
Grantham
“Great Wedding Venue”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Colwick Hall made a fantasic venue for our wedding in May 2013. The setting is beautiful, as is the architecture of the building, making for great photos inside and out. The wedding coordinator, Birgit, was fantastically well organised and helpful, and ensured that, logistically at least, the day was stress free. The staff on the day were excellent, and succeeded in being attentive yet unobstrusive throughout. The food and the accommodation were likewise top quality, and I would certainly recommend this as a wedding venue.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We celebrated our marriage at Colwick Hall on 29/3/13. Our package deal was part of the “Winter Wedding” offer and so heavily discounted. We found the venue and the overall price fantastic, however we would not have justified the extra £3000 had we opted for a summer wedding.

Birgit the wedding coordinator was beyond superb throughout. She replied to my emails rapidly, she was willing to meet to discuss issues, and was always on hand with advice – I cannot praise her enough. Sadly she went off sick in the weeks leading up to our wedding, and her absence was most definitely noticed.

We went for a menu tasting prior to the wedding which we were offered as BOGOF, and the food was absolutely delicious. Despite significant discouragement, we pushed for a menu choice on the day, and were allowed this as long as we provided the menu choices in advance and wrote the options on the name plates for each guest. The food on the day received lots of compliments and our guests seemed impressed. The service during dinner was also brilliant.

The general running of the hotel and the wedding side of things appear to have very little to do with one another, and on many occasions I had issues with trying to coordinate the two. I asked to book out the entire hotel for the night before and the night of our wedding and was offered 50% off the room prices for the Thursday night and a 10% discount for the rooms on the Friday on the understanding that we filled all the rooms. Our guests had issues booking rooms with reception staff informing them they couldn’t do this without our permission, which was something that we had never discussed with the venue (this was after they had willingly booked in other guests). Guests were moved into random rooms with no explanation as to why (we had specifically assigned rooms in relation to whether they could take extra beds). I found repeatedly chasing reception time consuming and frustrating for an aspect of the wedding that should have been very easy to arrange.

I had asked the wedding coordinator and duty manager in advance if I would be able to put wine glass charms on the wine glasses and was told I would have to do it the day before. On asking reception if I could do this it took well over half an hour for them to be able to find me 70 wine glasses claiming they did not have that many in the hotel (??!). They finally found enough and attached the charms. The following morning as I walked through the champagne lounge to get married the glasses were still sat on the table I had left them on the night before - ruining the surprise for my guests. During the drinks reception the duty manager asked if I had taken the glasses away as they were unable to find them?! (They did find them and had them ready in time for the meal).

On the morning of the wedding my bridesmaids and I ordered continental breakfast to the room which I was charged an additional £5 for (for cold toast), I hadn’t realised there was a charge, and thought considering how much money we were paying overall it was a bit of an insult to be charged more to have breakfast in the room.

The bridal suite was absolutely stunning and massive. However the heat was unbearable, and despite being informed by reception that the temperature was down, we ended up having to prop open the window with a box (we luckily had with us as the sash didn't work) as it remained ridiculously hot. There was an air con unit in the room (which was hideously unattractive in the beauty of the room), but would only work if we put the piping out the window - which defeats the object of air con in my mind? We also found that the light would not stay on using the key card and it took almost 2 hours for reception to get managerial approval to override this to allow us to have light. Between the 2 night stay we paid well over £300 for the room, at this price I absolutely did not expect to be in a room with lights controlled by key card (I expect this in cheaper hotels), and I would have anticipated a much more rapid response to fixing the heating and the lighting.

Throughout the morning, despite the hotel knowing that the bridal suite was being used by myself, house keeping came up twice and asked to clean the room. We asked them to return after 1pm (both times) and she agreed to do this. Later in the day my bridesmaids returned to the bridal suite to find it in a state, and called reception to arrange for it to be cleaned to discover housekeeping had gone for the day and it would not be cleaned. This is something I find beyond ridiculous as the hotel had known for months in advance that we were using the suite to get ready and I cannot imagine any bride would want to be interrupted while getting ready for someone to clean the room. Thankfully between the very kind receptionist who was on that afternoon and my bridesmaids I was able to return to a clean suite with a made bed as a newly wed. Had my bridesmaids not gone up and made a fuss I can only imagine that I would have returned to full bins and an unmade bed – I would have been extremely unimpressed, thankfully the hotel were very much saved by my bridesmaids and the receptionist!

The day itself ran generally very smoothly, dinner was served an hour late and I’m not entirely sure why, no one bothered to explain why or apologise to my husband or myself for the delay. Thankfully the entertainment we had paid for this time willingly stayed on at no additional cost.

The room change over was great and the set up in the evening was really good. However there was a constant stream of mess all over the venue and none of the staff showed any interest in clearing any of it up (my bridesmaid did several sweeps to try and keep on top of it). It is also worth noting that some of the rooms are directly above the dance floor and so several guests who went to bed before the music stopped were unable to sleep due to the noise.

Several times in advance I asked for absolutely everything (I specified "down to the table gems") to be returned to me and was reassured that this would happen. On returning home I realised there was a significant amount of stuff missing (only my centre pieces were returned and nothing else) and so I contacted the venue by email, which was repeatedly ignored – 2 months later and several emails to different staff members and the only reply I had was to inform me they would inform another member of staff (who I had already emailed). I guess they’ve had our money now!

Overall the venue is stunning, the food tastes great, Birgit was superb, and I felt we got a good deal on the winter package in comparison to other venues. However I personally would find it very hard to recommend it as a wedding venue at full price until the hotel manages to coordinate itself a lot better.

Room Tip: 103 - Lord Byron is massive with stunning bathroom
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Grimsby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Parking up at Colwick Hall car park one word came to mind Wow !
We booked in and was directed to our room . We booked the executive package two night stay online for £ 138 b&b .
Our room was on the second floor and one of the loft rooms ( Robert Burns room ) There were 49 steps to second floor so not for the disabled , although all bedrooms are on the first & second floors !
The room was lovely but just a little hot , they do provide a fan thou but found it a little noisy at first !
On our return visit I would definitely book the a superior room !
All of the staff were very friendly and couldn't help you enough.
On the second night we ate in the Georgetown Restaurant the meal was fabulous and great value for money in great surroundings .
We would definitely book again and with it being across the road from Nottingham Racecourse it's ideal !

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Colwick Hall with my partner as we were seeing a show in nottingham and ended up booking it for £100 with breakfast.
On arrival we were amazed by how beautiful the hotel was.
We stayed in a superior room and it was the most amazing room I've ever seen in a hotel. It was enormous, you could literally run laps. The bathroom was the same size as the room, huge walk in shower and a massive bath. The room also overlooked some gardens/ fountains that were beautiful.
The staff were very helpful and called us a taxi to the show which was only about a 5 minute journey into the city centre.
Breakfast was fine, there was a strange comment from the waiter about how I must be thirsty?! Odd.. but the food was ok.
We were an hour late checking out (I couldn't bring myself to leave!) but the staff were fine about it.
The only thing bad thing is, I have not found another hotel as good as colwick for the price, and I'm always left disappointed with other hotels!

I really hope I can stay here again! Just please lower the price back to £100 at the weekend so I can afford breakfast! X

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Spent two nights here in the mid priced rooms. Attractive rural location near the river, nice gardens, ample parking, a property with history and character. The cheaper rooms are in the roof, don't go for a cheaper room then complain if you haven't a big bright room with a view. Room 106 on the first floor is a lovely room, mid priced but with opaque glass on the windows! It's also next to the meetings room, the soundproofing is very poor.
Rooms are large but could do with some attention, eg: sliding sash windows inoperable as cords broken, blinds cord broken etc. You need to be able to open the windows as although you can turn the radiators off, the pipes feeding them are very hot and really do heat up the room.
The biggest problem with the room is the very poor sound insulation between rooms. Often a previous doorway has just been sealed but with no attempt at sound deadening, you can hear guests in the next room snoring (quietly). Thank goodness they were not on Honeymoon.
The staff in the Hotel were pleasant and helpful. The Restaurant was good, providing good value for money with attentive staff. They have offers on but sometimes forget to give you that menu..... so best to ask if there are any.
Five minutes from the centre of Nottingham by car. The Hotel may suggest a Taxi, but there is a Park and ride facility just a couple of minutes walk away at half the price.
The Hotel is better than average for the price but not really up to the 'very good' level.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Selva M, Owner at Colwick Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Dear CriticsView
Thank you for your review and your valuable feedback helps us further refine the aspects you note. As a result of your email we have procured sash cords and addressed the heating to a comfortable temperature. Generally the walls are thick - I hope you can sympathise with looking after this 200 year old gem.

See you again soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

We arrived for one night on Wine Dine and Stay £98 we had paid an extra £20 on booking to stay in a Superior room.Room 104 William Wordsworth room is lovely with a four poster,hadn't expected this so it was a nice surprise.The bathroom though was the highlight about as big as the bedroom with huge shower,double sink unit and roll top bath in the centre of the room.I felt like royalty in the tub!!
The meal in The Georgetown was faultless apart from my other half wanted the cheese board instead of dessert and this wasn't included so we paid extra for that..seems a bit mean that's all..On a sunnier day you could probably potter around the garden and sit on the patio but as it was grey and a function was being held in the 'other room' we did feel like there was no where else to go to before or after the meal other than our room.For one night though this wasn't too much of a problem,gorgeous place,would definitely stay again!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Selva M, Owner at Colwick Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear LynnyG123

It was great to serve you and thanks for the fabulous review. The Wine Dine and Stay deal has been ever so popular and I am so glad you thoroughly enjoyed every bit of your Colwick Hall experience. I take your point re the cheese board and we will reform that aspect. Let me know of your return plans and we will no doubt make that up to you then - Fathers Day is coming up!!

Look forward to seeing you again

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here last night for a last minute night away. We only paid £59 through bookings.com, what a bargain! we arrived a good couple of hours before the 2pm check in but the staff were fantastic and let us check in early.

The room and bathroom were huge, very clean and well furnished. The bed was lovely and comfortable

We ate both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant both were fantastic, the guy serving in the restaurant was very attentive and we were served our food quickly.

The hotel had a function during the evening/ night (wedding reception) and took the time to call me a few days before hand to warn us about the possible noise. Although the party was not far from our room the noise was not an issue and we both slept like babies!

This morning we went for a walk in the area, lovely!!

Thank you Colwick, hopefully we'll be back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Selva M, Owner at Colwick Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear arch-charlie

It has been fantastic serving you during your stay and thank you for your lovely comments. It was a great pleasure and we only wished you could spend a little longer so perhaps next time book into one of our weekend retreats in the Byron Signature Suite.

Let us know when you are heading this way next.