“christmas dinner 2013”
Review of Colwick Hall Hotel

Colwick Hall Hotel
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We booked a family christmas dinner but unfortunatley my grandchildre contracted chicken spots the day before, okay not colwick halls fault, but they were not at all sympathtic, not even the offer of avoucher for another day, but we still went who could. Meal should have been for seven adults and three children, but it seems there was no communication between management and kitchen staff, because on the arrival of our starters we re eived every one of the, which was chaotic to say the least! On asking us if we would like drinks only three of the six of us were asked, and the staff did not know what drinks were available, so we did not get what we wanted, I asked for ahalf pint glass, but was told it came in a bottle, then got a pint glass, not very elegant for christmas day! We waited nearly an hour for mains, only to be brought milk for coffee, and whilst I got up to ask about the maIns the rest of the table were asked what they woukd like for dessert!, when the mains came tney were terrible
le, instant mash, carrots not peeled or topped, tasteless meat soggy veg, and no condiments on tne table, waiters had no idea of what they were doing, didnt seem trained at all, and we were not the only people to complain,. If you are thinking of going to colwick hall dont waste your money, we did get a refund, but that does not make up for a completley ruined christmas day, never again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Attended X'mas party nights with my friends on 13th December 2013, got a warm welcome with drinks. We felt so comfortable being there in Colwick Hall Lakeside Pavilion. Perfectly organise with choice of starters, it followed by main course meal. The food was so tasty and highly hygienic, Also, well appreciated for cleanliness. Highly trained staff willing to serve in no time. Me and friends enjoyed the party to the fullest. Also, we are looking forward for the party on big Christmas day!!! Guys don't miss out the party here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nick W
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Booked here as a party of 14 for a Christmas meal. Arrived promptly at 8pm as requested to be seated for 8.30pm. However upon arrival we were seated immediately (which wasnt an issue) but around a table barely big enough for 9...so the manager kindly brought out what I can only describe as a pasting table to add on after explaining that they were 'fully booked'..to my anger considering we had booked in September! Within 2 minutes of us being seated....not even taken jackets off yet, no drinks and still waiting for the last one of our party to arrive (as we weren't supposed to be eating until half past) our starters are already being served! Starters weren't too bad although EXTREMELY spicy, I'm not one for spicy food but even the others in my party who were couldn't even finish it. After the starters of course the mains came out. My order of a roast turkey dinner was absolutely pathetic...now I know posh places are known for small meals but this was laughable.....2 small slices of turkey, 1 roast potato, 2 strips of carrot, an inch long green bean, a Brussel sprout and more stuffing than meat! I had to ask for a 'pig in blanket' as mine came without and came to the conclusion afterwards that it was a waste of time as it was a cocktail sausage with a bit of bacon hanging off. Pudding was by far the best course and that wasn't brilliant....but to say we all paid £40 each for the meal a total of over £500 for the group...with drinks on top, I was more than disappointed with the food and the service. To top the night off...as we were leaving the room to move across to the marquee...one of my party at the same time as another gentleman from another party were stood at the bar ordering drinks, both realised they had been short changed!! When questioning the bar girl, she blamed the till and to my disgust pulled a £10 note out of her pocket! Now I had heard quite high of Colwick hall before....but after our experience there last weekend, none of our party have said they will return. I will go to Mcdonalds next year if I have to, at least they are taught a bit of customer service there!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank HarrietD16
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The colwick hotel was excellent it's the best place for wedding I have ever seen. Me and boy friend went to my friend wedding on 13. We got very warm welcome by the receptionist. The rooms are very neat. Mainly the wedding hall is very well decorated with different flowers and candles. The seating arrangement was very nice. I liked the way of serving to the people were so nice and the service was great. People who we're serving to guests are very polite and they were well dressed with clean shave. The Dj was superb i loved the music. I enjoyed a lot. The bed rooms are well cleaned we had great experience in colwick hall hotel.

Room Tip: It's a perfect hotel for weddings they won't disappoint us.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Selva M, Owner at Colwick Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Becky814

I am delighted you had a wonderful time at Colwick Hall. Thank you for your wonderful review and we all look forward to seeing you very soon.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Kind regards
Selva

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Never seen cobwebs so big, seating was dirty! floors were dirty and although the building is impressive it was let down by the cleanliness and the finish. The staff were very untidy. Shirts were crumpled, not just creased, and at a wedding reception we saw an array of coloured shirts, they weren't white.The staff didn't serve politely and it seemed disorganised. During the meal and speeches the kitchen could be heard (mobile phones ringing) and the room was cold. Food quality was poor......cheap soup, tasteless chicken and veg and a packet made cheesecake! The coffee jugs were filthy and there seemed to be no event coordinator checking on the day. Such a shame for such a beautiful venue to be let down by management in what could be easily rectified. I would not recommend food, service or cleanliness.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank J T
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I spent a night on 3rd to 4th dec, beautiful entrance and friendly receptionist, let to our room looked stunning. left room for a meal at the resturant, menu was a bit limited so we ordered antipasti, the meats has bit of a green tinge to it, and bread was really stale and hard. mains were ok but a bit dry. went back to the room and tried to switch lamp and tv on, tv buttons not working and lamp not working, a few cobwebs in the corner but hey no spiders so ok. bathroom 3 spotlights didnt work out of 6, but thats ok all we really needed was a good nights rest. We got settled and tried to switch the tv off, but with the lights off the tv glowed and didn't shut of so got out of bed again to switch it off manually. Pillows were flat and had really hard, finally, was a little warm but thought the heating would go off soon and cool the room down. The room got hotter and hotter, we checked the radaitors and they were off then we found source of heat was from these huge pipes, which were burning hot, at midnight we still couldnt get to sleep and it was getting hotter and hotter. we called the reception at 12am - 1am, explained the issue, was told there were not other rooms and they were unable to do anything at that point. I asked him to get the manager to contact me in the morning.
Rough night, my head pounding in the morning "without and alchol" and neck aching due to the pillows went to check out, was met by the housekeeper not the manager as i had requesed, she took notes and that was it. The kicker is today feeling a "little human" as i write this rewiew i realise that instead of charging me £89 for the room and breakfast she actually charged me £109. Overall even thought the housekeeper gave me her card to call so i would get a better room, i will not be going back there. I paid for a superior room, 105 1st duke of Wellington Room. you can get a lot better places to rest weary head that this.

Room Tip: find somewhere else for the money you pay in nottingham, there are a lot better places
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My daughter had her wedding reception here on Saturday and it was all she hoped it would be. From the time we entered the Hall following the wedding ceremony, to the final goodbyes the next morning after breakfast, the experience was warm, efficient and entirely professional.
Our wedding organiser Birgit gave us the benefit of her many years of experience in planning the couple's big day with an air of calmness that assured us that we were in safe hands.
On entering the grounds the Hall presents a very elegant air, but upon entering the building there is a very warm, welcoming feeling of entering a private house. The building, beautifully decorated for Christmas, was soon alive with chatter and laughter as the reception drinks were consumed.
Duty Manager Madhu, manager Rajesh and head chef Lee all worked diligently together in the background to ensure that the day went without a hitch and moved seamlessly throughout the day.
Many people commented on the quality of the food but the service too was absolutely super efficient and unobtrusive. Madhu was central to this efficiency and never took his eye off the ball throughout the day.
My room, the Wordsworth Room (104) was very elegant, but cosy, with a huge but warm bathroom beautifully equipped with a roll-top bath and huge walk-in shower and lovely toiletries. A steady stream of guests throughout the day also admired it! The huge Byron Suite was adored by the happy couple, and the Mozart Suite, which accommodated very easily a family of five, is stunningly beautiful.
Breakfast the next day was served in the newly opened Byron Brasserie and included a good range of hot and cold dishes, again, with attentive service. Thank you to all the team....including reception and housekeeping.....for a wonderful memory we will cherish forever.

Room Tip: Wordsworth and Byron Rooms overlook the gardens and river and we saw the most spectacular sunset!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family