“LOVELY ROOM, BLOODY NOISY!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Colwick Hall Hotel

Colwick Hall Hotel
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
New Brighton
“LOVELY ROOM, BLOODY NOISY!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I really liked this hotel - the atmosphere, the grounds and the room were spot on. My room was at the top of the house and had a great bathroom and very comfortable double bed. The room was large and situated at the top of the great house. The public rooms at Colwick Hall are well appointed and beautiful. However I did not rest well here - there was some kind of medical ball on at the time of my stay. This went on until 1AM. Why in God's name the hotel wasn't closed for everyone apart from ball guests is a mystery to me. Me and the other 6 or 7 guests that weren't part of the ball truly suffered that night, 9th December 2013. I'd come back, but not at Christmas!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I did not know what to make of the TA reviews as they seemed mixed. However my experience was very good. Don't come here expecting a modern business hotel (although the internet is very good) but rather the grandeur of an old house with large rooms, slightly dated but special. I had a truly enormous room and equally large bathroom with fine view and very quiet. Finding the hotel was the most challenging aspect of the trip. I found it was great value for money and would stay again. Enjoy.

Room Tip: I went for the exec room with breakfast on Laterooms.com. What value!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Once a week...every week, i stay away (business!). For me this was one of the best i've stayed in. The room was......fantastic. Large, clean and stylish. All mod-cons including trouser press, dressing gowns etc et al.
The staff from check-in to check-out were superb. Friendly yet professional. The evening meal was oriental in style and of quality. And as for the breakfast (the make or break) it was the nicest i've EVER had. Period (sorry mum)!
oh...and we had a firework display on the evening (a corporate event), which the staff kindly told me about so i could go out and watch.
Unfortunately i no longer cover that area....sadly missed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
berkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Booked for two nights in December 2013 Friday before Christmas with my Husband.
Had a long journey in the car as it was the busiest weekend before Christmas on arrival first impressions were OK,
not outstanding, lovely Old Hall but tired looking and needs a lot of money spent on it.
Checked to see if it was possible to eat in the restaurant that evening and was told no problem booked table for 7.45p.m.
Ordered out meal and whilst enjoying a bottle of wine, the Restaurant Manager came over and apologized profusely and told us,
We would have to leave the restaurant as they had a Company in having their Xmas Dinner and the Company Manager of the Xmas party complained to the Hotel Manager who then spoke to the restaurant Manager who was told to remove us from the restaurant.

I was totally disgusted, I asked to speak to the manager and was told that he would not come to the table.

I have never been told to leave a restaurant before, the Restaurant Manager offered a table elsewhere in the hotel but we declined and left the restaurant and went looking for the Manager of the Hotel.

Had to wait in reception whilst Reception tried to locate him.

As I already knew he was in the Marquee outside on the ground I told them to inform him that I was waiting in reception for him.

Whilst waiting the restaurant Manager came out and said he was relieved that we didn't want to have our meal elsewhere in the Hotel and then showed me where he was going to put us for our evening meal as it was not the first time that it had happened that week, which was in a room that looked like a reception area, no atmosphere at all.

Along came the Manager though I had to confirm who he was as he arrived in a zipped up fleece.

I told him how upset I was being asked to leave the restaurant and how unprofessional it was and was told he could give me a fine dining experience upstairs.

I asked if he had a bar upstairs and he said no.

I then asked him to confirm that we would be in a room on our own with no atmosphere
The managers reply was yes that was correct but he would put on some music.

This was not acceptable to I told him that I was not happy with what he offered and was told by him he could call us a taxi so we could find somewhere else to eat.
Baring in mind that we were in a City we didnt know and it was now about 9pm, the weekend before Christmas the chances of us finding a table in any restaurant was going to be near on impossible.
The Managers attitude was absolutely appalling.
I suggested that the least he could do would be to call a taxi to take us to a restaurant and pay for both the taxi and the meal.
He declined, in my opinion he had no communication/customer skills.
We went upstairs to our room, rang around other hotels until we found an Inn that had vacancies, packed our belonging and left the hotel after advising the Staff that under no circumstances would we be paying for the two nights that we were meant to be staying there.

It was a terrible experience especially after my husband booked it in the first place as he thought it was one of the best top places to stay in Nottingham, let me tell you he was very wrong on that point.....I would not recommend anyone to stay in this Hotel where the Manager was incapable of putting his customers first, the one bright star in this car crash of an evening was the restaurant manager, his attitude and professionalism was exemplary.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jacquelinels
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed at Colwick Hall on the Tuesday 14th January. On arrival the place looked beautiful the lady on reception was very polite and helpful. After check I went up to my room, this is where it all went horribly wrong. The public areas looked like they haven't seen a hoover or cloth for years. I finally made it up to my room on the second floor and was very disappointing the room was cold and tiny. The cleaners in this place need some serious training, hairs in my bath, dust all over the place and I have my doubts that the bed lining was changed from the previous guest. I called reception and the girl on the desk came and rectified the situation straight away. I made my way to the restaurant for some food, this has just been renovated apparently. The room was nice but again the food was terrible and the staff weren't much better. I will not be coming back to this hotel anytime in the future. The only credit you have in this place is the young lady on reception that evening who tried her best to fix my problems. Maybe getting her to train your staff on customer service and to teach your cleaners how to clean would be a start.

Room Tip: don't waste your money
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

My family and I had Christmas Dinner in the Lakeside restaurant on Christmas Day even though the room was beautifully decorated and we were welcomed, we were more than disappointed with the food and service.

To be fair the Starter of goat’s cheese was lovely but the main course was not very good, the beef had a weird texture to it and the gravy was not gravy, my whole family had not tasted anything like it and were truly disappointed and at £39.50 per head it was not good enough.

We had chosen your facility to have Christmas Dinner as we wanted it to be special for my mother, unfortunately we all went home hungry, and with the plan being that nobody would be cooking on Christmas Day we still ended up doing so.

The service was poor and staff seemed to be over whelmed and did not know what they were doing, for example we had to ask for water where as every place I have eaten will offer water, once the waiter came with the water he filled the glasses only a quarter full so we had to ask him to fill it up, he also started going round the table but then stopped half way round and went off, we had to call him back to fill everyone else’s glasses. He should have brought enough water and left it on the table so we could help ourselves.

We didn’t have one/two waiters through the dinner different ones kept appearing which obviously made things confusing as one waiter didn't know what the other was doing. We got asked by three different waiters if we were ready for our main course, communication was lacking.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pauline M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Organised a winter Ball for 300 medical students in Dec 2013 . I have to say Colwickhall really pulled out all the stops, both in terms of aesthetics of the venue and service . When we turned up everyone commented how nice the exterior looked in the dark and whilst we over prepared for decorating the lake side pavilion we soon saw this aw sun necessary . the interior was with tinsel , x'mas trees,centre pieces with party hats and crackers . Binoy the Manager was very help full on the night , always making sure that everything was alright and everyone was happy .the staff was adapted well to do the last minute adjusting of dinner time and they were flexible with seating arrangements . Affordable prices for students compared to previous years at defferent venues there were hardly any complaints about the good with people saying they got their value for money. The DJ they provide is top notch as well .
All the best