All reviews race course byron suite grand ballroom themed afternoon tea mozart room harry potter stately home superior room christmas lunch wedding venue small window huge bathroom no lift wedding breakfast city centre full english tea and coffee
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Firstly when contacting Cowlick Hall it was to organise plans for our wedding and our budget wasn’t an option, looking on the internet to myself it was perfect had everything elegant and beautiful.
We had arrange to meet the wedding events co-coordinator, having to travel 45-50 minutes straight after work we arrived first impressions were amazing, how upon entering the reception there wasn’t a single member of staff around, no one on reception after waiting 15 minutes with more people arriving I decided to go and have a look for a member of staff whom could help. If he could go and find a member of staff as the reception was becoming a little what busy, this was too much of an effort and no apology. Then when the young lady arrived at reception she said YES in a very harsh vocal to which I was taken aback by as I’m young myself and thought working in a venue such as this she would have at the least had some manners.
As you can imagine my fiancé was not impressed and stated were not getting off to a good start at all.
Then a lady came to out to us 15 minutes later to show us around, with no introduction to whom she was, no hand shake we followed her into what was known as the campaign lounge were she said “SIT”. We are not animals and would have appreciated a little bit more courtesy. When the lady started introducing the room we were sat in the, lady mid-way through conversation rudely spoke to a member of staff in regards to an undressed table. She then lead us into the civil ceremony (Grand ballroom) to where we got the impression that everything we wanted was not an option it had to be done their way or no way.
We had also wanted to have our reception in the marquee, however she said she was unable to show us around as the staff were preparing for an event. We can appreciate that people may have booked an event but the lady wasn’t to bothered that we didn’t see it anyway. And didn’t get shown any of the beautiful grounds that are externally at the rear of the hall.
We then got lead to lower stair case to where she went through the different rooms cowlick hall had to offer she stated that the cheaper room was better option, we continued into the breakfast room then got shown around the toilet with nothing being said.
My partner that asked if she could work out some prices and email them over to us, which she said we can go through them now (most helpful part of the visit). When going through what bespoke package we wanted we made our decision on the drinks and then she automatically assumed we wanted the cheaper main to which fiancé by this part was getting extremely uncomfortable. Then when discussing Buffett options, I stated option 2 the higher price out of the two. To her response was “It’s not for me to say but ARE YOU SURE”, like we were something on the bottom of her shoe. Literally by this point we had had enough, and couldn’t get out of there any quicker.
I have never felt so humiliated. Downgraded and spoken to with lowest of respect in my whole life. All because my partner didn’t walk in a Gucci suit, we felt like the filth under the hall itself with our experience of this venue.
I can assure you I would never recommend nor return to this venue.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ashleigh8107
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This Inn/Hotel was built in the 1200’s. Room was huge but building and grounds need a lot of TLC. Much of the décor does not fit what age of the hotel. Windows need new shades/curtains. They do not offer wash cloths otherwise known as flannel. The restaurant was terrible. Worse food we had on our entire trip. could be a great spot if they would remodel and get a new chef

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank djf58
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed for wedding anniversary. Stunning room,excellent food and great service.huge thanks to Sam,you went above and beyond for us. Laura and primod,superb service. Binoy always so friendly and polite.another lovely stay.

1  Thank tara206
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Great location and a Stunning Building....very welcoming staff with an easy check in to a large beautifully furnished room.... huge quality fitted bathroom...all very well appointed....only slight downside disappointing rather corporate soulless Bistro Restaurant very out of keeping to rest of hotel...all in all a very pleasant stay.

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night and was given a tiny bedroom. Was woken very early in the morning by the maid stomping around and slamming doors. We needed as much sleep as we could get as had a lot of driving to do that day. Because we were woken up so early I asked the receptionist if we could have a later checkout and was told this was not possible. On the plus side it is a very beautiful place and the surroundings were stunning. It's just a shame the noisy staff and tiny room ruined our stay.

Date of stay: June 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank scottimus13