“Extra Special Birthday Treat!”

The Nottingham Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Extra Special Birthday Treat!”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I made a surprise reservation at your hotel for my partners birthday. From booking the hotel to our departure everything was easy, pleasant and relaxing. Lovely welcome when we arrived, beautiful room with a balcony...fantastic! VERY WELL Thought out appliances in the room, tea and coffee facilities as you would expect and a trouser press but to have an iron and ironing board in the room was great. But what impressed the most was the hair dryer at last someone has realised that us women don't want to stand with hair dryer that looks like it should be in a two year olds toy box. Thankyou

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Polish first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2011

We had an amazing stay at the Nottingham Belfry. The service was five star with friendly and efficient staff. We enjoyed using the leisure facilities and had a couple of great treatments in the spa. Our room was immaculate and well stocked with comfortable beds and a fabulous shower. The best bit of our stay however was the evening meal we had in the hotel restaurant. The three course meal was the best I have had in a long time. The food was packed full of flavour, exciting and beautifully presented...what a delight. I will be reccommending this hotel to my friends and family!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Worcestershire
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with several business colleagues. Our experience was all fairly similar and not what I would expect from a hotel that clearly considers itself a premium service provider.

My bed consisted of 2 single beds pushed together with a gap in the middle. The nights sleep was not a good one due to the size of the mattrass and the gap at the edge of the bed that was easy to roll into when moving. Even budget hotels within several large chains have king size beds with decent mattrasses these days.

The room itself was OK although due to being at (-1) or basement level I could not get a signal with one mobile phone. My other phone with a different service provider received a very poor signal making a conversation very hard to have. Not great if you're a business traveller!

The service at the bar was very slow at times. One evening we were told to sit down and that we would be served only to spend the next 15 minutes waiting before going back to the bar where we eventually got served.

The breakfast does not start until 0700am which tended to create a queue of people all entering the restaurant at once. Some items were not ready and we had almost finished breakfast by the time the hot drinks were bought to us. One time the wrong drink was bought and we did get anyone come back during our meal with the correct drink.

In all honesty; In many respects its a good hotel but with this hotel it seemingly promotes itself as being a place of excellence. It falls down on typical points such as those I have made - a view echoed by colleagues who also said they would not stay there again.

In a word; Pretentious!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
MartLouwerse, General Manager at The Nottingham Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
Dear DaveUKWorchestershire
Thank you very much for your Trip Advisor report.
Overall we always receive very positive comments from our Business Guests with regard to the quality of the Hotel. However, it is clear to me that you and your colleagues did not have the same experience and I can only apologise for this.
The hotel provides a number of twin bedded rooms and bedrooms with king size beds to our guests. Unfortunately you were allocated a twin bedded room; however we will always do our utmost to change bedrooms when requested by guests prior to arrival or during their stay.
With regards to the mobile phone signal, I am aware that the signal of one specific supplier is poor and they are now in the process of increasing their signal strength within the area, which will alleviate any issues.
I have spoken to my Restaurant and Bar Manager to ensure we improve the speed of our table service which we should provide at all times.
I have noted your comment with regard to the 7.00am breakfast and I am looking at the possibility of changing the breakfast timings to ensure our guests have sufficient time to enjoy breakfast. Please be assured what you experienced is not our usual standard.
I do hope we can welcome you and your colleagues back to our Hotel in the future.

Worcestershire
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, and the omens were worrying from the moment of check-in. Having the misfortune to arrive just after an elderly Canadian couple, the lone receptionist struggled to get them check in and there didn't seem to be any back up staff around to help. The room was comfortable enough, but someone else's hair in the shower cubicle made me feel a bit uneasy. WiFi was advertised as available but not in our room! We had to sit in the foyer! Saturday morning breakfast was a riot, literally. The hotel was very busy and it felt as though they could have done with at least 2 more staff on duty. Tables weren't being cleared quickly enough, long queues of people waiting to be seated formed. And the poor lady in charge seemed to be doing a bit of everything. The last straw must have been for the group sitting next to us who ordered tea and a Latte, which arrived minutes apart! The bed was comfortable, but no room safe or wider selection of teas let the side down. There was a degree of stinginess over the bathroom toiletries too!Generally staff were helpful, friendly and enthusiastic, but some greater attention to detail and tighter
management during busy times might see that fourth star being deserved.
Definitely a case of style over substance!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Jetsetaud
I appreciate the feedback you posted on Trip Advisor.
I was very surprised to read your comments about our breakfast service. Although weekend breakfast service can be challenging through the hotel industry, the team have always been very good in providing both quality in food and service. However that was clearly not the case on this specific Saturday morning. We have taken very strong actions to ensure that this will not happen again in the future.
I have passed on your comments with regard to Reception and the bedroom to my Managers requesting that they take the necessary steps to avoid a repeat.
I would like to thank you for the positive feedback about my team and please be assured detail is important to us. I hope the challenges you experienced during your stay does not deter you from staying again at which time we will able to prove to you that we can provide the service you would expect of a 4 star hotel.

essex
Reviewed 28 March 2011

On the whole the hotel was nice, rooms were big, clean and tidy, unfortunatly were nothing special but were more than comfortable.
The entrance and bar area were very modern. clean and well kept.
The spa was a bit disapointing, small not very clean (a let down as the rest of the hotel was fine) and generally of a poor standard.
The worst thing about this hotel was the staff, they were all very young and inexperienced, they actually did not seem to give a damn about anything, literally every staff member barring once (waitress Amy) were terrible, there seemed to be no mangement anywhere. Even simple things like asking if we wanted drinks went by the by, on our first night it took the waiters 25mins to clear our plates once we had finished our mains, and even that was when we reminded them, this is the worst service i have ever received from a hotel. On the 2nd day we went to the bar to order cocktails (which were very nice actually) the girl behind the bar seemed to have had no training whatsoever, she didnt even smile or greet us, i ordered a selectrion of cockatils and were told ''i will try'' because apparantly she hadnt made them all before????!! in total we ordered 6 drinks (4 cocktails and 2 soft drinks) it took the girl nearly 20mins to complete this task. When she finally brought the drinks over she spilled on all over the table and wiped the glass on the rim with her finger?? then the table with her apron i mean this is basic bar/resturant knowlege. The hotel clearly does not train its staff well, or even if they do the staff do not give a toss and are badly managed.
Which brings me to my final point.....the food...we only ate in the hotel and it was very hit and miss, from very nice to inedible, seafodd being served luke warm, all steak burnt on the outside bloody in the middle however you asked for it, the waitress sayings ''thats the chef for you''.
We had a very nice trip all in all but the lack of attention to detail and the staffs shocking attitude means i will go back to Nottingham but will not be staying here again.,

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Dear love-zante06
Thank you very much for completing a comprehensive review on Trip Advisor.
I am equally disappointed with the issues you had while visiting the Hotel. I have discussed your review with my team to ensure we take lessons from the issues you experienced. Detail and service are imperative to make the stay of our guests enjoyable and we clearly did not meet your expectations.
We have very extensive training programmes in place to ensure all of our team members are able to meet and exceed our guest’s needs. I have asked my Restaurant and Bar Manager to ensure that all Bar team members are able to provide the cocktails required by our guests as well as the expected table service.
I was surprised to read your comments with regards to the quality of food and the comments you received from a member of staff. Our Restaurant has a reputation of providing quality food & service but we clearly did not meet your expectation and I can only apologise for this
As you will see from previous positives reviews with regards to the Spa, your experience is not the norm, and I have personally spoken with the Head Therapist to ensure all areas are cleaned to Hotel standards.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to prove we can offer the service of a 4 Star Hotel in the future.

Essex
Reviewed 27 March 2011

I like Q hotels always clean and comfortable and the Spa at this hotel is an added bonus although I wouldn't come specifically for the Spa. My only issue would be that our room (108) on the ground floor is next door to the laundry room which stirs into action early Sunday morning! Breakfast was plentiful and a good variety.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear EssexGirl2001
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at The Nottingham Belfry and your appreciation of QHotels.
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have shared your positive comments with the rest of the team.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disturbance you encountered with the laundry store and we have taken the appropriate action to avoid a repeat of this.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Nottingham Belfry in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2011

1. Rooms are clean and well equipment although my TV was difficult to work and no user notes were provided. I specificly asked for Epyptian cotton linen during my reservation and this was accomodated.

2. Nice atmosphere during the evening, bar staff were very attentive and friendly although the wine menu was priced extremely high - more an average.

3. The resturant service was applauling, staff were not visualant or friendly. I over heard a waitress apoligese to couple close by for the delay with their sandwiches...the excuse given 'the bread hasn't defrosted yet'! wow thats honestly for you..

4. On my first evening most of the menu was unavailable and the potato with my dish was raw, the chicken was cooked beautifully. On my third evening it took 20 minutes to place an order and the resturant was not even 20% full. At 9:30pm they start to setup tables for breakfast which i found very irritating and rude espeically if you still on your main meal.

5. Gym facilities were good although it get very busy in the evening due to the amount of equipment and size. The swimming and spa facilities were very good too.

6. You only get 2 hours of free wi-fii a day and you need a silly car park exit code to drive out of the hotel (not very sophisicated).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear SexyHeels
Thank you very much for your detailed review.
It is very important to me and my team that we take note of constructive comments given by our guests so we can improve our service.
When guests have specific requests we do our best to accommodate these and I am pleased that we were able to provide you with the Egyptian Cotton Linen which you requested.
I am very much aware of the challenges we had on that specific evening in the Restaurant. Our Lawrence Restaurant has a very good reputation for its quality of food and service and I was very disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that I have personally spoken to the Restaurant Manager and Head Chef and I do hope you will give us another chance to proof to you that we are able to provide the service you would expect.
On a positive note, I would like to thank you very much for the positive comments regarding the Bar and Leisure facilities.
I understand the using a exit code for our car park can be frustrating, however this is in place to enhance the security of our guests cars.
Best regards