1,688 results
All reviews spa break q hotels business park lawrence restaurant spa facilities separate shower upgraded to a suite sauna and steam room park and ride restaurant staff trouser press bar area following morning modern hotel walk in shower buffet style a lovely stay
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My girlfriend and I'd had a really tough two weeks, and come the end of the week we decided we needed a bit of a break for the weekend. So we checked out local places to chill for a day or so and settled upon the Belfry.

We took the romantic package for one night, costing £165. This includes a room, dinner in the main restaurant, breakfast in bed, use of the spa/leisure facilities, £10 to go towards spa treatments, some champagne and chocolate for the room, and a late check out of 2pm.

Everything was pretty much spot on. The room was lovely, with a nice-sized Sky TV, excellent and solid bed, two armchairs, and generally lovely decor. Very warm and modern design. Bathroom was similarly good, being completely clean and featuring a walk-in shower plus a separate bath/shower. Nice shampoos, etc provided too.

The dinner was served in the main restaurant, which is about as good as dining gets really. Excellent service from attentive staff (My water was repeatedly topped up within moments of finishing!), food that's truly to die for with generous helpings, and a generally great ambience. Our package included £26 per person for dinner, which is enough to have a starter, main, and desert if you stick to the marked menu items which basically includes everything except the extravagant steaks, etc.

Breakfast was handled very well. You choose what you want on a card and stick it on the door handle overnight, and in the morning it's all delivered on a big, heavy tray (perfect for putting on the bed) with very generous helpings. You can also go downstairs to the restaurant, of course.

The spa and leisure facilities were definitely what I expected. There's a lovely pool with a connected jacuzzi that can fit about eight people in, nice changing rooms and showers, steam room, sauna, and full gym. Upstairs is the treatment area which is a very tranquil and beautiful room with a small waiting area (free water and magazines).

I've never had any kind of massage treatment before so I can't compare it to anything, but I will say that it felt absolutely fantastic and was just what I needed after a couple of weeks of stress and being hunched over a laptop. I was given an Indian head massage by Rhianne, who did a brilliant job of making me feel at ease and making sure she wasn't using too much pressure, etc. My girlfriend was similarly delighted with her full body massage and didn't stop smiling for some time.

While not included in our package, we also had lunch at the all-day bar which was great. Very nice paninis, wraps, etc and more than enough in terms of portion size. The same food (more or less) is available 24/7 via room service with a £3 fee, which is really good value overall.

The champagne and chocolate is a wonderful touch, making the whole experience that bit more special and went down a treat with my partner. Very nicely presented, sitting in ice waiting for us when we walked into our room.

The only things that would have made our stay better were a slightly more intuitive TV (my girlfriend had trouble figuring out why there were two remotes and what they did) and air conditioning (a floor tower fan is supplied instead). They're relatively minor points though as an open window with fan was fairly comfortable, although I can imagine how it'd be a bit hard to bear during the hottest times of year.

Overall, a great stay. Even for locals such ourselves it was a wonderful break from normality and felt like we were a long way from home, so I'd imagine it's even more appealing for those travelling from elsewhere and needing somewhere to stay.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms seem to be available, which look nice from the outside. Not sure which rooms these are and if they're on different price tiers, but it might be worth enquiring about if you'd like one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
BelfryManager, General Manager at The Nottingham Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear RyanJWilliams

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to us here at the Nottingham Belfry Hotel. I was very pleased to see that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your time with us and chef will be very happy to hear that you were delighted with his food as he does endeavour to deliver a very high standard to our guests.

Our current televisions are operated with two remote controls as it is an analogue television with a digi-box that we had installed due to digital switch-over. This is a little confusing to operate and we are reviewing options to invest in new televisions to overcome this.

Thanks once again and as you seem to live in the local area we hope we will see you again very soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Like many some other spa hotels, the hotel, spa facilities and restaurant have different standards and so I will give a breakdown in my review.

We came here for an overnight spa break which included lunch, a 3 course dinner, and breakfast in the morning, use of the spa facilities, 1 x 50 minute treatment each, and overnight stay. All for about £110 each which I think is really great value!

Firstly, the spa facilities. Aside from the treatment rooms, this consisted of a swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room. This disappoints me about hotels that specifically class themselves as 'spa hotels' because there is usually more to an actual spa. This was one of those hotels which offer leisure facilities consisting of a swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room, with the addition of treatment rooms. What I would deem to be a proper spa is more atmosphere and facilities. For example, the treatment rooms and swimming area shouldn't be so disjointed, the whole area should be very relaxing, atmospheric with candles or something similar. Not just a small pool, with a jacuzzi in the middle of it and a steam room to one side. It was just part of the hotel's leisure facilities - nothing spa-like at all. I've been to spa's which have separate hydrotherapy pools, or relaxation lounges for example.

The treatment rooms were quite nice - this was a lot more atmospheric with lovely aromas, relaxing music, etc. If this carried through to the pool area, then even then it would seem more spa-like. There were a fair few people waiting for their treatments so we had to stand for a bit. But once we were able to sit, we were offered water and the staff were really lovely. They called us in one by one for our treatments. I enjoyed mine, but it was average in my experience. It was a head and foot wake up ritual, which felt really great and relaxing but with a massage, I usually get good focus on one area before the therapist moves onto the next. In this case, she worked on one area for one stroke then moved onto the next. It felt nice, but would have been nicer to have had pressure applied in one area more than once. Once we were all out, we compared experiences. It was such a mix, some good some bad. I'm quite glad mine was average because the bad one sounded like she had a very inexperienced therapist. I've had a similar experience, and if you want to go to a spa - surely the point is to feel relaxed. My friend certainly was not. With a haphazard massage and hair falling out... not good. My friend was offered another massage but really didn't want one, so we were compensated with a bottle of wine of our choice at the restaurant though so that was appreciated.

Next, the restaurants / food. We had our lunch when we arrived on the day which was a buffet lunch. There was a fair variety but the way it was laid out was quite confusing. Some salad items on one end, some weird mix of mains in the middle, then salad on the other side again. There were no menu's or labels to see what any of the items were; it was all guess work. There was boiled pasta and then we realised later there was sauce to go with it but it wasn't out yet, and we just didn't know. There was some nice fresh fruit out which was good, and some cute looking desserts. Tea and coffee were available, but the quality wasn't very good.

On the contrary, the evening meal in the same restaurant area was fantastic. The service was great and all our meals were exquisite. Our complimentary bottle of wine helped - compensation from the bad spa experience. The food was so wonderfully presented, and tasted amazing. The variety of dishes were really good and there was even a separate menu for my vegetarian friend. She said she never usually gets so many choices! It's the best food I've had in a long time. With the package we had, we have an allocation of around £26 per person which gets you a 3 course meal if you choose from certain items. A couple of us went over as we wanted certain dishes, but it certainly didn't break the bank. It was only a max of a fiver more. I'd read some reviews that the service can be quite slow, but the service was fantastic in my opinion. I'm not sure if our earlier complaint regarding the treatments contributed to this, but from looking around it seemed that everyone was well looked after and there was plenty of staff about. We were very happy with our meals. Breakfast in the morning was a buffet which included a good variety to cater for all. From pastries to cereal to fry ups, then fruit and yoghurt, juice, tea and coffee... I'd say not bad at all!

The rooms. Our room was pretty big and comfortable. Filtered coffee was available which was great as I think it just adds a bit extra than providing the standard Kenco fried dried coffee. Good sized plasma TV screen, comfortable beds, and the bathroom has a separate shower and bath which is always nice to have. The switch for the fan was really high up which never helps for someone small like me, but one of the other girls sorted that out. There was extra bedding and pillows if required. There were a couple of issues. One was the lack of air con. It was quite warm through the night. The other was that one of the towels just seemed dirty. It seemed like one of those that was just badly soiled and was not going to actually wash out unless done 10 times. The hotel staff were quite happy to replace with fresh towels though so not a massive issue. So other than the heat and some noisy neighbours, everything else was really comfortable and good quality.

The hotel in general. Great - looks modern, the hotel staff are really friendly and dealt with our treatment complaint professionally and really accommodating. An enjoyable stay overall and great value!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear swctraveller

Thank ever so much for your detailed review of our hotel, your feedback really does help us continually improve our service.

I was delighted to read that our team looked after you well and that you thought our facilities in general were of a high standard.

We are about to open a relaxation area to provide more space for our spa guests and hopefully you and your friends will be able to see this on your next visit.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is very useful and all other point have been addressed.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed here for one night, the location was fabulous and the room spotless. The staff were very helpful and friendly, couldn't do enough for you. The only downside we found was the buffet breakfast wasn't very warm: mushrooms, scrambled egg particularly cold. As much tea as you liked though!
I would recommend this hotel for a short break in Nottingham.
We were given a room with a balcony which was lovely on a balmy evening.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony as the rooms are very warm and due to the location it is quiet enough to have the balcony doors open all night to allow the air in.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kay M

Dear Kay W

Following your recent stay with us, I'd like to pass on my thanks for your lovely review of our hotel. We do pride ourselves on the friendliness of our team and I'm delighted everyone lived up to expectations for you.

We did have a slight issue with our breakfast buffet recently, but as soon as this was highlighted our maintenance team rectified this. My apologies if your breakfast was less than perfect; we hope we can show you on your next visit that this has now been resolved.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Can't fault it. Have nothing bad to say about this pleasant and friendly hotel. Only really have one qualm. There was no shower cap. Would loved to have not worried about my hairdo getting wet while in the shower.The stay was wonderful though. Rooms were beautifully laid out and very clean. The cleaning staff have kept the rooms spic n span. The hotel staff have been very helpful warm and friendly. Lovely food with so much choice. Would loved to have stay longer at breakfast though. Only to try all the food on offer. Would recommend this hotel and spa to family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear DianeH

Thank you ever so much for your fantastic review of our hotel, we do strive to exceed all of our guests expectations and I am delighted that you had a great stay.

We do have shower caps and other amenities available from our reception, feel free to ask for one on your next visit.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

nice, hotel and a pretty good price £140 for 2 nights, B&B with meal on night one. as always Q hotels are exceedingly clean. Staff are friendly and food was very good. Rooms are of a good quality but a lack of air on warm days due to safety catches- would have been nice to open windows fully but understand why this is not practical. The only slight disappointment was the spa, we have used other qhotels and this was too small. feeling rather squashed. The pool needs to be a little longer 12.5 metres is not long enough to swim in. One the whole a nice hotel that we may come back to.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear dux128

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel our Head Housekeeper was happy to read that you found the hotel to be very clean as this is something that she and her team pride themselves on.

Thanks for the constrictive comments regarding our spa; we are about to open a relaxation room to give our guest a little more room to enjoy our facilities.

We hope to see you again soon.