“Some things let it down”

The Nottingham Belfry - A QHotel
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here over the weekend, when we first arrived the hotel looked nice and we went to reception. Hayley who was both helpful and friendly booked us in. We got to our room that was nicely decorated and clean, only thing that was a problem was the bed, which we found that we kept rolling to the middle of it.

We used both the swimming pool and gym during our stay and found them to be more than adequate.

On Sunday we found our way to breakfast which was confusing, the back stairwell which was next to our room ended up in the basement floor as there was no exit door to the ground floor. We were welcomed by a lady (im sorry i didn't take her name but was both friendly and funny and know she only works part time ha ha), her and her colleague asked what we were doing that day and gave us lots of helpful information and a guide about going into Nottingham, which included using the park and ride system that we found to be excellent and saved us trying to park in the city centre.

We had dinner as part of our package on the Sunday, and this was where it let the hotel down, firstly the whole of the dining area was not in use, so we felt on top of and crammed in with the other diners. It took a long time for our order to be taken, and even longer to be served both drinks and food, in fact we were booked in at 8.15pm and finally got our starters at 9pm. The starter and the main were fine, unfortunately my choice of dessert was sold out so had to go for the cheese board, which turned out to be 2 x pieces of brie and a piece of blue cheese which was a let down.

The main thing which i found disappointing was once we had signed for our bill, the manner in which a different waitress shouted "have you signed for your meal" as we walked out of the dining area which we found both rude and indiscreet !

Overall, having had such good first impressions, there were aspects that let it down

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Nottingham Belfry - A QHotel

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I ve never seen the hotel so busy before, but all the staff raised there game to still over the very best service I have ever experienced in a 4 star hotel.
Plus the Breakfast & Staff are the best in the UK ( Believe me I have had hotel Breakfasts all over the UK, and none come anywhere close the "The Belfy Breakfast", not even other Q hotels ).

Bran Sammons

Room Tip: All ways as for a Balcony room as to me these rooms feel larger ..
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Came here with a group of friends for a 40th birthday celebration. We got there at 11 and we're told we could check into the spa and collect robes/slippers and get changed. Rooms, we could check in after 3pm. Got to the spa and it was all very disorganised, which it shouldn't have been as our group were all booked in. Not enough robes were available so some of us couldn't change or use the facilities. Staff told us they had been busy and run out.....!!! Really...not our problem. As some of our party had early treatments we had to chop and change to give them the robes we did have. Lunch was ok, nothing special. Finally got all our robes and made use of spa and facilities. My treatments were good and I had a lovely therapist who made it great. But is definitely not a spa hotel, so don't go expecting that. The relaxation room left a lot to be desired...some awful floor cushions and a sofa, no thanks. The rooms were nice, beds comfy. Dinner was ok, we had pre ordered our meals at lunch., we asked to order some prosecco to go with dinner and were told they only had 2 bottles left as had run out. Whoever does their ordering clearly takes no notice of the groups booked in ( 11 females in our party plus a hen party). We did have great service from the restaurant supervisor/manager who was lovely.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank fsba20
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My partner and I stayed at The Nottingham Belfry over the weekend and we were very disappointed with the standard of our "supreme" double room. We payed a lot of money and do not believe we got the quality we were expecting and paid for. Our "double" bed was made up of two single beds put next to each other, there were burns on the carpet, cracked tiles in the bathroom and scuffed walls and furniture. When we queried the staff about the room all we got was "oh, sorry" and we only encounter one friendly staff member throughout our stay.
Really disappointing as we saved up for this trip and looked forward to it for a long time. Wouldn't recomend this hotel to anyone for the prices they are charging.
I have posted some pictures I took of our room.

Room Tip: If you do go to this hotel don't pay more than you need to... I'd suggest just getting a str...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda L
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Me my mum and sister visited here in Feb 2014. Although i have been to better places with more facilities we still had a fantastic time here. We all had a back massage and facial each. I would reccommend the facial as this was so relaxing i think i actually fell to sleep! (such a shame as this time alseep was wasted haha) i did enjoy the back massage although i am used to a deep tissue massage and they don't do these here so not enough pressure was given in the massage for me. The overall experience was great the staff are helpful and friendly and the treatments are great. I would only come here again as it is closeand convenient for me but other wise i would visit somewhere with more facilities. They have a pool and a jacuzzi with a sauna and one steam room. There is also a quite room which has beanbags on the floor and candles and soft mood music which also has refreshments. We had a great time here although its just not big enough for us. We would visit again though.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We chose this hotel after enjoying stays at other Q Hotels.

The hotel next to the M1 seems to be geared to expense account, corporate customers. Our group did not fit into this template, and it required some discussion for the hotel to respond to our needs. To their credit they did so.

The buffet breakfast is substantial, and popular enough to give the kitchen problems in keeping up with demand. Dinner is well presented, although, on the deal we agreed, limited in choice.

The quality of their employees lifts the hotel from its corporate blandness, and it is to the hotel's credit that they select and train their staff to a high standard.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is the second time I've stayed here and I really like it. The rooms are large and clean, the bathroom is also spacious& the public areas of the hotel are also nice & well maintained. Unfortunately I didn't sleep very well but that was mainly due to the heat - the lovely soft beds & duvets are no good for hot weather! However this didn't spoil a nice weekend.

I ate dinner in the hotel restaurant which was very nice - however the menu is not very inspiring. I don't know why or what to suggest, really - just that despite not being a fussy person when it comes to food, there were only 2 or 3 dishes I would have picked. The steak I had was really well cooked, though, so I was pleased. The breakfast buffet was very good as well, with plenty of choice.

I used the spa and leisure facilities during my stay & was very pleased with them, the pool was very quiet which was nice and relaxing! The gym is quite well equipped, the TV channels on the treadmills don't work very well but that's a minor thing.

What I like about this hotel is the staff - everyone is really pleasant & always willing to help as much as they can. Lovely friendly people. I look forward to staying again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends