“BEWARE! Don't trust these people!!!”
Review of P and J Hotel

P and J Hotel
Ranked #32 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Chester, United Kingdom
“BEWARE! Don't trust these people!!!”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I had a confirmed booking by credit card at bargain internet rate. Immediately prior to our arrival we were contacted by the hotel to say that there had been an "error" and that we had no room. I'm told that they sold the rooms to "walk in " customers who paid the full tariff. They also did the same to at least two other parties! As a result of our protests, we were told that they had booked an alternative hotel for us so we went straight to the Arena for a concert. When we got to the replacement hotel, there was no booking! We had been misled just to preventus arriving at the hotel! We were left stranded with no accomodation for the night. The Hotel now refuses to communicate with us. Proceeding with action via Booking Co. & Credit Card Co. Next stop small claims court?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank G S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Colorado
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The rooms are pretty, the staff are friendly and competent, the hotel is quaint and fun to stay in. The beds were comfortable, with warm duvets. An extra heater was available on a chilly night. I chose not to eat the breakfast, for which there was an extra charge. The only problem I had was a consistent one with my internet connection. At first I thought this was because we were on the 4th floor, but even when I'd venture to the lobby, I'd have trouble connecting via Wifi, even when I tried different devices and sat right next to one of the Wifi boxes. Since the staff is so responsive to visitor needs, I feel confident that they will continue to work on this problem and fix it in the near future.

Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I hated to leave, and can't wait to return. The proprietors were lovely to us--made us feel like family. Our rooms were clean and cozy. The decor was charming and oh-so-British for us Americans. I can't say enough good things about our wonderful stay. I was there at the same time as the boys (who's muscles were as big as their brains were small) and who wrote the 'DO NOT USE...YOU WILL BE FINED' review. Ignore them. They brought back what must have been five LOUD, drunken girls at four in the morning who woke up EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the hotel. It was handled as politely and appropriately as was possible. In the States, the police would have been called. I enjoyed it all so much, I want to make it into a TV show. Thank you, everyone at the P & J.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Hotel is fine for what it was. No problems with facilities apart from small uncomfortable bathrooms. On checking in and getting our keys the male staff member was very welcoming and good fun. Suggested a few places for 5 lads to go and was very accommodating. Breakfast was grand and the hotel is in a good locality. No problem getting taxis.

Only issue that impacted on our stay was the patronising and outright rude hostess who came onto shift on the Friday night. Our first meeting with her was when we were playing pool in the back room. She walked up to us without introducing herself and said 'I hope we wont have any trouble out of you boys tonight". Shocked at being talked to like children we shrugged it off. Every interacting with the hostess after that was layered with sarcasm from this patronising woman. We couldn't even enjoy breakfast without being tossed some unwanted remark.

So enjoyed the stay for what we needed but avoid it if you don't want to be treated like children.

Orange County, CA
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Stayed here two nights during a recent research trip. The hotel is a 30 minute walk from the train station/city center, although it is on a major bus route (university to city). Stayed in room 17, with a double and twin bed, on the top floor at the front of the hotel. The room overlooked Derby Street, but noise was not an issue. The walls in both the bedroom and en-suite bathroom need a wash-down, as they had many stains and marks. The walls between bedrooms are fairly thin and I was able to hear conversations in the adjoining rooms. The bed was not the most comfortable, but I did sleep well. The room was quite cold, even with the heater on, but the bed covers were cozy and warm. Entry to the shower is surprisingly narrow and might prove an issue for a larger person. Proprietors were friendly at check-in. I did not try the breakfast (extra charge) or the lounge, but everything looked very nice in the communal areas.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
North Area
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I booked the P & J through booking.com after reading generall good reviews on tripadvisor and other websites. I was not after an upmarked hotel just simply a couple of beds that 3 friends could use as a base for a night out in Nottingham.

The price of the stay was charged from my card 2 days prior to my arrival as it stated on the booking confirmation and there was no problems there. We arrived at the hotel and there was no porblems during check in, we only met one member of staff who was originally skepital of our booking as there was 3 people booked in a family room with a double bed and a sinlge bed. We assured her this would not be a problem as we would be willing to share a bed to prevent any unneccessary hassle. We followed the staff member up the labrinthe of staircases up to our room which we were initially impressed with.

Up to now the stay was good until we started to get ready for the night ahead. After a long day of travelling we all needed to shower etc. The shower was awful. The temperature had two options; either red hot or freezing cold. The pressure of the shower made it all the more difficult. It would have been a better option to put on shower gel and stand outside hoping for a spell of light rain.

The member of staff who was working phoned us a taxi to the city centre and so the night went on. We came back to the hotel around 3:15am and we were told earlier this would be no problem as we had a front door key and a room key and we were told if there were any problem to ring the hotel and we would be assisted. We came back with company which we were never told we were not welcome to do. We were not loud in any way as we madce our way through the hotel to our room. The company we had brought back left the hotel at around 8am quietly.

HOWEVER, the following morning when we were checking out we were summoned to the office by the same staff member who was overly nice on our arrival - making us feel like guilty school children!! She said that she knew what had gone on during the night and that it was unacceptable. If we had known this was a hotel rule that guests cannot bring company back we would have gone back to their hotel or never booked to stay at the P & J in the first place. She had told us (with no evidence to prove so, i.e. formal complaint letters) that everyone in the fully booked hotel except two people had complained about the noise levels of the night before and that the proprietor had been informed. She also told us that there was a charge that we must pay in cash before leaving that the proprietor had requested we pay of £20 each and if the charge was not paid it would have been taken from the card they have on file for the original booking. We told her we would go to the nearby cash machine and withdraw the money to pay the 'fine' but she closed the office door and told us she "can not let us out of her sight."

We chipped in together and paid the charge to avoid any other grief because we were in a rush to get home and wanted her to shut up. But now thinking back, this fine they charged us with was not at all warrented, they simply made it up on the spot and used £20 each as a random figure. I will be reading over the hotel rules and terms and conditions and being in contact again with them to discuss the issues. The £60 extra we paid was not recored, we were not given a recipt only a threat that the money would be charged from my card.

In summary, the hotel location is good, the price is cheap (initially) and the decor is okay but dated. HOWEVER, I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER USING THIS PLACE AGAIN AS IT MAKES UP RANDOM EXTRA CHARGES.I would not be surprised if I am sent a bill for something else like leaving a window open or using a towel.

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stayed at P and J with a couple of friends. The 3 of us get together once a year for a football match and a few beers. Have stayed at other hotels that make 3 mates staying together feel uncomfortable. The lady that was working (it may have been the owner) was fantastic, really welcoming, easy to talk to and yet remaining professional.

Room was good, a bit tired in places, for certainly value for money. Breakfast was good, and whilst the service speed was fine, we didn't feel hurried.

If I stay in Nottingham in the future will certainly check P and J for availability.

Room Tip: Can't think of one! I imagine they are all good.