“Good for the Groupon price.”
Review of Bel Paese

Bel Paese
Ranked #481 of 1,350 Restaurants in Nottingham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Like others I was a bit anxious about our visit after reading such bad reviews, however, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be at all. My husband had the antipasto which he really enjoyed and I had the mushrooms which were really tasty but as others have noted, these starters should have been served with some good bread. I think they expect you to order garlic bread, but the starters are not cheap and really should include bread. I have read that they don't even provide bread with the soup which to me is unheard of, so please Mr. Owner put this right. We then both had steaks with a different sauce, both of which were tender and cooked as we had asked for. It came with a separate dish of hot and good quality vegetables and a dish of what should have been roast potatoes but were boiled and buttered new potatoes which were very tasty so just say this on the menu and don't have guests expecting something which they are not going to get. There doesn't appear to be any central heating as they were using electric heaters so I must say I didn't actually take my coat off at all which is not really very comfortable when eating. I would not eat here at the normal prices but for the Groupon deal it was ok and would have been more than ok if some really tasty italian bread had been provided. We didn't feel that we wanted to pay the extra for a dessert as I wasn't expecting them to be good value so we went home and had dessert instead.

1  Thank Me12345

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We went to Bel Paese as a family 2 adults 2 kids with a groupon voucher. Well it is not an experience which we would duplicate , my husband was served the minestrone soup as a starter it looked like dishwater and was served with no bread .. must admit my mushroom starter was quite nice.
Even though we had Groupon vouchers we did order the fillet steak of the specials board at a supplement of £9.00 each .. this was terrible .. when we complained the manager / chef did come out and apologise and made us some lasagne instead which was ok .. we did not stay for coffee / desserts.
The young waitress just looked awkward ... no music on so you felt you had to whisper .. would we go back nope not even if it was free !!

2  Thank traceyccc
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have been here numerous times both as a couple and with friends. I have to say that tonight we went for the first time for about 6 months and I was a bit worried due to seeing recent bad reviews on here. I needn't have worried because it was as lovely as usual. Tonight we had a groupon voucher and the food was as lovely as previous voucher-less visits! It's not fancy. It's like having a meal in an Italian family front room which has been cooked by the mum! But that is why this place is so brilliant. It's well priced, friendly, good home cooked food in a cozy small restaurant. It has an excellent local reputation. I wonder if the groupon offer has brought in people who were expecting a fancy Italian restaurant which unfortunately has resulted in negative reviews. This place is actually a little gem.

1  Thank LSelvey
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We had a delightful meal here with my partner's parents. It is a classic trattoria - if you want a very smart meal or the highest quality food then this is not the sort of restaurant to go to. Rather, this is a restaurant for cosy, jovial evenings with some simple, yet flavoursome food, friendly service and a relaxed atmosphere. The restaurant was completely full on this particular Friday evening with people turned away at the door who didn't have reservations, so be warned.

While we were there a nearby table complained about their steak being tough and not cooked the way they had wanted it, so they sent it back. The owner was incredibly apologetic and dealt with this very well. However we were quite surprised as two of us had also had steak. While it was not a very tender cut of meat we had ordered it with the understanding that it would be cooked in the Italian style - flash fried (so it was a good medium steak) - with the main event of the dish being the sauce rather than the steak itself. True, it was not the best cut of meat I've ever had but a delicious meal all together.

If you are particular about the cut of meat you eat then stick with the pasta dishes. One of our party had the chef special linguine - this was a massive helping of delicious pasta with chicken, bacon, and a cream tomato sauce. Clearly a strong point at this particular trattoria along with the delicious flavours of the sauces for the steaks.

Our only niggle would perhaps be that the portions were a little on the small side (excluding the pasta) and, while we were brought an extra dish of potatoes since there were 3 of us eating the potatoes and veg but no extra vegetables (beans and carrots). But then, I've never been given large portions of veg in any Italian restaurant, so I wasn't surprised by this.

Overall it was a lovely place for a sociable and relaxed meal. The staff were friendly and the flavours of the dishes was fabulous. The quality of the ingredients (such as the steak) is not so good, but that wasn't really what we had gone there for. Instead we had fun and plenty of wine flowed throughout the evening (at very very reasonable prices).

1  Thank Ammiria
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We first went on a groupon voucher and vowed not to go again but at the end of the meal were given another voucher so did. I had steak first time, it was awful. My rosé wine so warm I asked for ice to be put in it.which the waitress promptly picked a cube out the ice bucket and put it in. Saving gracethe tiramisu was nice. Last night had bacon and mushroom starter, watery and bland. Chicken ok. Lemon cheesecake ok, coke warm, lager warm. Turn your fridge up guys. Very friendly waitress, but never going again!