“Incredible local food in a beautiful location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Ranked #2 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Incredible local food in a beautiful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

While getting to the Swan Inn may be difficult, it is absolutely worth it. The drive is beautiful and the surrounding area is scenic and a true slice of England. The food is all fresh and locally sourced. My roast chicken breast was moist and well seasoned, while my friend went with the pasta and olives-- maybe one of our best meals during the trip to London. Definetly check out the wine list!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London (originally New Jersey, USA)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great location from London...and great location in the Cotswolds. Lovely setting with very nice garden. We stayed 2 nights and had Sunday lunch. I would give 4.5 stars if possible. We had 1 breakfast which was great and 1 which was not so nice. Nothing bad...I'd had A LOT worse... but that's just the small miss that keeps them from 5 starts. Staff friendly and helpful. Our room (called Riverside, I think) was newly refurbished and perfect for 2 of us with our toddler. As I say in my title, we will visit again...so I think that's the most important part.

Room Tip: Riverside Room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
Oxford England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Nice location on the river Windrush. This eatery clearly comes off the Chippy Set pub production line. Reasonable food. Friendly and efficient service. Farrow and Ball flours well used. Too many old photos of the Mitford family on the walls. Will probably go back at some point.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Albufeira, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Had lunch here with my husband on bank holiday Monday in the garden and the food was excellent. The staff were great and made us feel very welcome. Will definitely eat here again. A lovely country setting with chickens wandering around the garden.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We'd read the reviews and heard first hand from friends of positive stories, so our expectations when booking were high. Did it live up to the hype? It was close, but ultimately it wasn't quite as good as we were expecting.

The excellent bits first: it's the Cotswalds. Come on, you do not get better picture-postcard perfect England than the Cotswalds. The Swan Inn is perfectly located on the edge of the village. There are countless beautiful walks you can lose yourself in. Worth a stay for that alone.

Our room also could not be faulted. We splurged on 'Debo's Room' and it was airy, spacious and very well equipped. The decoration and furnishings are as thoughtful as they are stylish. If you're a Mitford fan, the Swan Inn plays it up to the hilt with images of the family from various periods dotted around the place. (If you've never heard of the Redesdales, then the images might be a bit perplexing.)

The pub itself is also quirky and charming, but it is really a restaurant, not a pub. We did however witness three hardly locals actually drinking at the small bar, but they seemed mostly to be in the way of the waitstaff.

The not-so-good bits: both the staff and the food were variable. In all, we ate three meals at The Swan Inn - two breakfasts and one dinner. The first breakfast we ordered kippers. Unfortunately, what was served was inedible. Firstly, they were truly awful quality kippers - if you love kippers, you'll know how you can tell a quality kipper from an over-dyed piece of rubbish. This kipper was definitely from the latter camp. To make matters worse, the chef had decided to smother the kipper in dried herbs, and rather a lot of them. This seemed to serve no purpose other than to overpower the flavour of fish, and given how strong kippers are, that was no mean feat! They were also covered in some oily goo, the origin of which I couldn't fathom. I took one sad, sorry bite but that was one bite too many. What annoyed me more though was what happened next. The on-duty manager (who was not English and admitted she herself didn't eat kippers) then had the gumption to argue with us about them. She assumed we had never had kippers before and were not used to them. No, my dear, we are English and we eat kippers regularly - so we know a dud kipper when it is served to us. In hindsight, my guess is that the chef does not eat kippers either - he clearly isn't an aficionado of them. We stuck to the toast and the excellent coffee.

We approached dinner that evening with some trepidation, and ordered the steak. We needn't have worried - it was fine - but it was, at the end of the day, just a steak. That largely sums up the food - competent but not exciting. I must, however, call out the wine list - there were some good choices there, all at very good value.

The bad - the pub could do with a good clean. I found myself sticking to the floor a bit. It all just felt a bit grimy - the conservatory in particular needs a clean and a makeover.

There is one other comment I would like to make, and I am not sure how to phrase this without sounding like a Daily Mail-reading xenophobe. But hear me out. None of the staff who were working during our 3 days stay were English. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for multiculturalism. Certainly in London that would not be in any way unusual, probably expected, and I wouldn't think one jot about it. However, in such a quaint and quintessentially English location, I expected English hospitality - begin told by a local what not to miss, for example. The staff never engaged with us at this level, instead delivering perfunctory service. I do think the experience was the poorer for it.

Would I go back? Probably not - I'd seek out alternatives in the area, and check out the menu before booking. Do I regret my stay? No, I'm glad I went, and I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Pay extra for "Debo's Room". Worth every penny.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BarrigntonIsTops
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Excellent salt beef sandwich with rocket and horseradish and chips. A tad expensive and we didn't particularly want the chips though they were delicious.
Friendly staff.
We sat in the garden and were entertained by the chickens stalking a visiting dog.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Really enjoyable midweek lunch to celbrate mother's birthday, everything was lovely, great service, delicious food & excellent value for money. Best 'gastro-pub' meal I've had in ages, although with food this good it hard to refer to it as a pub!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank FredandOllie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Maytime Inn
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,677 reviews
Cotswold Gateway Hotel
Cotswold Gateway Hotel
#5 of 8 in Burford

Been to The Swan Inn? Share your experiences!