“Top Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Hemingford Abbots, United Kingdom
“Top Hotel”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We held our wedding here on 15th June. We have used this hotel many times so we knew how good it was. Cannot praise the staff enough they made the day run very smoothly. All our guests loved the day, the food and their stayover. We had the best wedding day that we could imagine and thanks to Maureen, Mark & Luke for all their help at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

we held the wediing for our daughter here last weekend and i can't praise the hotel staff enough. The day was majical and i couldn't fault anything. The sun smiled on us, the staff were helpful and friendly , all ran smoothly, food great and nothing was too much hassle .The bride and groom and i were all very chilled and our guests all loved it. we stayed the night before the wedding as well and sat in the lovely garden drinking lots of Pimms. We were allowed candles, sparkles and a fire bowl and games in the garden . There was another wedding the next day but no one made us feel like we had to rush to leave . Absolutely 5 star .
every one said their room was good and the bed was comfy, nice pillows and big fluffy towels. Very quaint and full of character and we had a lot of american guests who absolutely loved it.

Room Tip: we stayed in the Tanfield which was very cute, overlooks the road but quiet with a separate sitting...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Had lunch there today outside in the garden. Beautiful gardens, good food and good service. Burford can be a bustling place and this a haven. Plenty of parking too. We had our daughters wedding there in 2008 and it was lovely to return for a brief visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

What a lovely hotel. Just up the road from the high street, with car park and lovely and quiet. It has a delightful garden with deck chairs for finishing off the last rays of the sun. You can sit out on the terrace for food from the bar menu.

We arrived around 1pm and while waiting for our room to be ready had a lovely lunch on the terrace leading down to the garden. The ploughmans included cheeses, ham and pork as well as two delicious home made chutneys. The chips were lovely too.

As we had a dog we had a garden room, which was very clean, light and airy, and looked out onto the garden. Comfortable king size bed. Although it was hot when we stayed the room wasn't hot as you could open double doors/windows, so we had a good nights sleep. Two comfortable chairs placed with a small table made looking out onto the garden very relaxing. The entry to the garden to take the dog onto the terrace is just a couple of yards away. The garden rooms also allows you to take the dog out without having to go through the hotel as direct access to car park etc.

Dogs are also allowed in the bar if the weather is too chilly to eat outside. They are just not allowed in the restaurant.

Fresh milk was provided upon request, with no delay. The selection of teas in the room very good and plentiful, as well as coffee, milk etc.

The food on the restaurant menu was not ordinary and if you were looking for simple steak etc you may be better eating at the lamb next door, although it looked hot in there as we took the dog for a walk past it. The food though was well cooked at the Bay Tree and I heard other diners say how delicious the food was too. The staff were very accommodating regarding the food as my husband can only eat certain foods. Desserts were also good selection.

Breakfast was wonderfully. We did need to be away prompt as we had a function to attend on the Saturday, but were served immediately with toast and tea and my full English breakfast order taken quickly. After eating the scrummy fruits and freshly squeezed juice a lovely hot breakfast was served. Cereal and freshly cooked pastries also available.

The road outside leads onto a country lane with path and grass sides, so makes a good short walk for the dog with poo bins close by.

All the staff were always very polite and helpful and a credit to the hotel.

We would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Garden room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was not staying at the hotel but a friend and I ate in the bar area of the hotel. The menu sounded interesting with a good choice of food. It was shame that the quality of the food was so disappointing. I think the kitchen was trying to be too clever but did not live up to expectations. I ordered pork loin which looked more like a pork chop with a large amount of fat and it was rather dry and tough. My friend ordered a fish pie with asparagus which was also very dry. I would not recommend the bar food in this hotel. The service was very friendly.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shirley565
London
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Having seen some previous reviews, we were slightly anxious about taking our 2 children (2 and4) to dinner. Happily our fears were unfounded. The staff were amazing with the children and really helpful and attentive. We really enjoyed our stay; beautiful location, comfortable rooms and good food. Without exception, we found the service to be excellent.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Emma074
Wakefield
Reviewed 5 June 2014

As an occasional visitor to Burford I always jump at the opportunity to stay at The Lamb next door. Unfortunately next door was full so I booked The Bay Tree as the hotel belongs to the same parent company and from the exterior, looked similar but sadly there the similarity ends. I was promised a pleasant room, as I explained how much I enjoyed The Lamb. I was shown to a room in the annexe behind the hotel, pleasant enough but a little dated and careworn but they had tried with new cushions, bedhead and upholstery. I had had a bad experience with a tyre en route so needed a hot bath and a little R and R. The room was cold and I turned the radiator and towel rail up but with no reaction. I telephoned down and Mark came to investigate. He had no explanation for the non functioning but decided to move me to another room. I queried that this did have working heating and he reassured me. The alternative room was death by toile de jouey, on the walls, ceiling, curtains and everywhere!! ( NB if you don't know what t d j is it's that print of scenes that runs all over the substrate ofte, as this was in faded blue and yellowing white) Unfortunately, when I pointed out this room also had no heating I was told the" heating didn't come on until 7pm as it had been warm over the preceding days" I then decided to adjourn to The Lamb to eat. Needless to say an exquiste evening was spent with superb food and refreshment and I returned to a now lukewarm room next door. My next problem was that the kitchen extractor fan, cunningly painted green to blend with the ivy made sleep impossible even fuelled by a very satisfactory meal at The Lamb. I eventually called down at 11pm and an offer was made to turn it down and in actuality I think it was switched off. Breakfast the next day was not again up to the standard next door. I seated myself, was not offered any service and eventually in frustration stopped a waitress and queried whether it would be possible to order breakfast. On checkout I was offered an audience with the Manager however the delay at breakfast had made me late for a meeting so I merely outlined my grievances to the receptionist. Suffice to say I will look elsewhere if The Lamb is full

Room Tip: Go next door! It could be that the main building is better. The bar and restaurant looked okay
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HonW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
#7 of 8 in Burford
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to The Bay Tree Hotel? Share your experiences!