“A lovely 3* hotel, with an abundance of charater”
Review of The Bay Tree Hotel

The Bay Tree Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Derby
“A lovely 3* hotel, with an abundance of charater”
Reviewed 19 July 2009

The Bay Tree Hotel in Burford is a lovely 3* hotel, with an abundance of charater. The breakfast was good (lots of choice), and the standard double room we stayed in was really lovely (Wychwood) - nice decor, clean, drinks facilities and a reasonable size, with a nice en suite. We were ,also worried after reading the recent poor reviews on Trip Advisor, but were glad we had a completely different experience to them. The receptionist we dealt with was very helpful and pleasant. The garden is beautiful, and we were lucky the weather was good enough to have afternoon tea in it. It's in a great location really close to the main street running through Burford, close to other pubs and shops, but in a quiet location for a good night's sleep. I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
wine1978, Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to the Bay Tree Hotel.
We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I stayed at the Bay tree as part of a sublimer Sunday promotion. Our room in the eaves could be described as more shabby than chic. However bed was comfortable. Bathroom was not as expected and had to stoop over when standing in the shower. Also bathroom door was burnt at top because if door was left open then lights from ceiling singed it! My main concern was the dust everywhere. This room had clearly not been dusted properly for some time. I would say the food and service were average. I was disapointed by my stay and would expect something more, however for £45 it was a bargain.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
wine1978, Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2009
Thank you for taking the time review The Bay Tree Hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your "Sublime Sunday" and would recommend The Bay Tree Hotel to your friends.

We take all feedback very seriously and in light of your comments the new General Manager of the hotel, who took over at the beginning of July has taken your comments very seriously. The bedroom you stayed in will now be completely refurbished by the end of August and the house keeping issues have already addressed.

I do hope that you will choose to re-visit us in the near future so we can show you all the positive changes a new manager can make.
London, England
Reviewed 14 July 2009

I can reassure you to some extent - having read these bad reviews just before I visited for a family celebration at the weekend, I was worried. We all found the physical features of the hotel delightful - lovely old higgledy-piggledy place with a cosy bar, lovely dining room and attractive garden. The rooms were variable - 3 very nice doubles and
two slightly 'tireder' twins, some obviously new mattresses, some obviously very old.
Of course, it's an old place so there are places a lick of paint etc would improve, but we found the general feel of the place charming. The service in the restaurant and bar were very pleasant, despite there being a wedding on, meaning they were undoubtedly very busy. The reception staff could do with a bit of additional 'charm' perhaps, but were efficient. The food was fine, although not great, but the whole dining experience was a good one. And the people we had taken to surprise with their celebration there were delighted by the whole thing.
We all came away thinking it was a good find, so don't panic too much. It could be even better with a little investment in some of the rooms, as others have commented.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LizzieD66
wine1978, Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on The Bay Tree Hotel. I am glad your family celebrations were a success and that you would be happy to recommend the hotel to friend.
As you may have been aware the new General Manager started at the beginning of July and is very keen to improve the standards throughout the hotel in all areas.
Your comments on the tired twin room has been acknowledged and the room is due to be refurbished by the end of August, along with some of the public areas and other bedrooms.
We hope to welcome you back to The Bay Tree Hotel in the near future.
Soho Square
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Dreadful service, extremely rude & unhelpful staff, dirty room with too many faults to list. I wouldn't want my worst enemy staying here.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank GraemeC73
london
Reviewed 5 July 2009

Stayed here for a wedding in one of the rooms overlooking the garden (i think these are supposed to be the better ones). We paid £80 per night. I would not be happy if I had paid any more than this. The room was very tired - stains on the carpet, chipped paint, worn out bathroom etc. I also think the "shared" Molton Brown toiletries let the experience down a bit and the towels in the bathroom had clearly not been changed since the last guest (there were brown stains on them.....). Then, when I came to check out (which I had to do over the phone because there was no one at reception when I left, even though I waited around for ages) I was spoken to with complete contempt by the girl on the phone, which was the final straw on me being able to rate this place anything other than well below average.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rosie34
Hampshire, England
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Good location, olde worlde which would appeal to foreign tourists. However room was very warm and did not have air conditioning (Stay was before recent heat wave and room must be unbearable now!!). The bathroom had a shower over the bath but shower attachment was mounted across the taps with no fixing on the wall - Having to shower holding the shower attachment is very difficult and unacceptable.
Service in the restaurant was attentive but the waitress we had gave the clear impression she did not want to be there (or for that matter did not want us there either). Music was terrible and hastened us out of the restaurant. The food was good.
I am not a fussy person and usually "go with the flow" but I was far from impressed and would not recommend this hotel to others

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike48
Birmingham, England
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Stayed just one night at the hotel booked as a present by my daughter. She booked me into Oak suite but the hotel decided to downgrade my room without explanation. A group of us met to have a bar meal at 9.10pm (the meals were advertised as available until 9.30) only to be told that the chef had gone home. He eventually returned as we were arranging to eat elsewhere. The following morning my bath tap would not switch off and I phoned reception in a panic fearing the bath would overflow and flood the room (the water was too hot to put your hand into to remove the plug) - my call was not answered and so I burnt my hand. When I explained this to the receptionist on leaving, so that they could repair the tap, she was very offhand and said that she'd been busy. She was being equally offhand to other people whom were making simple requests such as, Where could I get coffee? Face pulling from other guests. Despite my daughter booking the rooms as a treat, the hotel presented us with our bills. When her husband complained about this, the receptionist merely stopped listening to answer an incoming call - she was rude when he lent over to suggest the caller find a better venue for their wedding.

Even though check out was at 11am, from 10am there was a man with a ladder against my window trimming the greenery - I felt that he could have waited an hour instead of ruining my privacy. Added to this, a shrill piercing alarm went off a couple of times but I never did find out what this was for.

My son stayed in Sycamore which was in the loft - the stairs were so steep and narrow that it was impossible to carry a suitcase up to it comfortably. This is not a place I would want to return to to sleep but would eat there again. I wish I had had a similar experience to other reviewers.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Twinkle tootsies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
#7 of 8 in Burford
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to The Bay Tree Hotel? Share your experiences!