“Delightful and quaint Hotel, friendly, efficient and great food.”
Review of The Bay Tree Hotel

The Bay Tree Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Staffordshire, England
“Delightful and quaint Hotel, friendly, efficient and great food.”
Reviewed 28 September 2009

My wife and I tayed just one night with another couple. Hotel is welcoming, friendly and well appointed - except perhaps the arm-chairs in the bar need recovering. Our rooms were in the eves of the cottage but were well appointed and well decorated. Bathroom was large, clean and modern. For longer stays the rooms overlooking the garden looked larger with balconies.
Restautrant was excellent with good food, freshly prepared and knowledgeable, friendly and efficient service. Breakfast was superb. Location is in quiet side street off the main street of Burford. Ideal spot as a central point from which to explore the Cotswolds. Thoroughly recommend this hotel. We will definitely use it again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anthony-Phillips
wine1978, Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Bay Tree Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased to let you know that we have recently finished decorating the bar and all of the furniture has been re-upholstered. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Worcester, UK
Reviewed 25 September 2009

We were driving through Burford and required directions to a local animal sancatury. The people at the hotel's reception were very helpful and even provided us with a printed map of the destination.

Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Midlands
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I had to check the photograph at the top of the page to make sure I was talking about the same hotel as some of the bad reviews I have read! We have just had a lovely stay at the hotel, the room was clean, bed comfortable, staff very helpful, breakfast excellent and garden beautiful. We had a great time and would recommend this hotel. Did not eat dinner there but had Sunday Lunch which was good and a bar snack that was just right.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
wine1978, Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent enjoyable stay at The Bay Tree Hotel.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Worthing
Reviewed 10 August 2009

After seeing some poor reviews I posted a message, enquiring what management had to say. I was most impressed that the Hotel Management did respond. I would also like to thank those of you who sent me private messages of reassurance.

I needn't have worried. The hotel is absolutely fantastic. We had a garden room which looked out onto a beautiful hotel garden. The room was a nice size, really cosy, clean, beautifully decorated. Really comfy bed. We also had a couple of comfy armchairs from where we ate our breakfast in the morning (yum by the way).

I loved the bathroom too and the Molton Brown 'big sizes' were a lovely touch (careful though, don't take them home or you will be charged!).

At each stage the staff were wonderfully polite and helpful. It was a bit like Lord of the Flies. I don't think I saw any staff over 25 but they were brilliant. There was a wedding on the day we were there, and, although we had to go to reception to get someone to serve in the bar, it was very quick and cheerfully dealt with. Other than that we wouldn't have known there was a function on at all.

In the evening we had a fantastic meal. We had booked under the sparkling break deal where you get a glass of champagne, canapes and a 3 course meal for £138 with B & B (we paid and extra £10 for the garden room). The food was absolutely gorgeous and we both really enjoyed it. Superb and ny compliments to the chef. A beautiful summer menu.

I loved it so much that I gave the young waiter a £10 tip. My Husband told me later that he also had given him £10. Lucky waiter. Oh well, it was worth every penny.

The hotel is so relaxing. The bar is a bit scruffy in parts but to be honest, it adds to the 'chabby chic' charm. I bet it is lovely and cosy in the winter too with the big fires burning.

My only moan is that the hotel is too popular!! I have been unable to book a return trip in between Christmas and New Year. I 've got my fingers crossed that they can accomodate us for my birthday in March.

All in all a beautiful, relaxing, charming and fantastically run hotel. I can't wait to return. Deffinitiely on my 'favourites' list (which inlcudes the Waldorf Astoria).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
wine1978, manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to The Bay Tree Hotel.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that we lived up to your expectations.
We appreciate your comments regarding the bar and i am delighted to inform you that refurbishment work has started this week with all the furniture being re-upholstered.
I am sorry we have no availability for your dates in December but we look forward to welcoming you back in March.
Banker100
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Two nights at this hotel and I came away with almost nothing positive to say about this hotel other than the location is good. Service is surly (particularly at the front desk), rooms are not cleaned properly, towels are pungent, taps drip, beds are uncomfortable in an old-fashioned "lumpy" way. I would steer clear of this place.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Banker100
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enyoy your stay in February 2009 at The Bay Tree Hotel.
I would like to assure you that since your visit we have made a number of improvements to the hotel which include refurbishing the public areas and a number of bedrooms, we also have a new general manager who has re-introduced the high levels of service and standards you would expect.
We are very disappointed you didnt enjoy your stay with us and hope that we can welcome you back in the future to show you the high standards we strive to achieve.
Derby
Reviewed 19 July 2009

The Bay Tree Hotel in Burford is a lovely 3* hotel, with an abundance of charater. The breakfast was good (lots of choice), and the standard double room we stayed in was really lovely (Wychwood) - nice decor, clean, drinks facilities and a reasonable size, with a nice en suite. We were ,also worried after reading the recent poor reviews on Trip Advisor, but were glad we had a completely different experience to them. The receptionist we dealt with was very helpful and pleasant. The garden is beautiful, and we were lucky the weather was good enough to have afternoon tea in it. It's in a great location really close to the main street running through Burford, close to other pubs and shops, but in a quiet location for a good night's sleep. I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to the Bay Tree Hotel.
We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I stayed at the Bay tree as part of a sublimer Sunday promotion. Our room in the eaves could be described as more shabby than chic. However bed was comfortable. Bathroom was not as expected and had to stoop over when standing in the shower. Also bathroom door was burnt at top because if door was left open then lights from ceiling singed it! My main concern was the dust everywhere. This room had clearly not been dusted properly for some time. I would say the food and service were average. I was disapointed by my stay and would expect something more, however for £45 it was a bargain.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
wine1978, Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2009
Thank you for taking the time review The Bay Tree Hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your "Sublime Sunday" and would recommend The Bay Tree Hotel to your friends.

We take all feedback very seriously and in light of your comments the new General Manager of the hotel, who took over at the beginning of July has taken your comments very seriously. The bedroom you stayed in will now be completely refurbished by the end of August and the house keeping issues have already addressed.

I do hope that you will choose to re-visit us in the near future so we can show you all the positive changes a new manager can make.