“What a beautiful Hotel. Friendly and fantastic food. A GEM...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Burford House

Burford House
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“What a beautiful Hotel. Friendly and fantastic food. A GEM...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

What a fantastic place to stay. We had the most wonderful stay. Excellent Breakfast. Beautiful food and a fantastic town. Very hospitable people and some excellent little shops. This is a must stay venue one not to be missed. A great base for all of the Cotswolds. Cant wait to come again. Rooms were clean and beautifully furnished. The staff very friendly. A home from home establishment and very inviting indeed.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for the rooms at the back, I stayed in one facing the High Street and h...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the small house at the back of the hotel. Rooms were reasonably priced and the people were very helpful with great customer service
Breakfast was yummy and home made orange juice was lovely
Only negative was my bathroom was in need of a good dust

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

We stayed here for a special occasion as it was my friends birthday. On arrival the hotel looked ok but did have a very odd smell in the lounges. The check in was good and the beds large and comfortable. I was surprised however that the beds did have blankets and not the usual duvets. The real problems started on the second day. As we had booked as 2 couples the owner put us in the annex at the back which was 2 rooms with one being ground floor the other above. After a long walk and getting soaked to the skin both couples where looking forward to a soak in the bath before going out for the evening. This would not be the case as the upstairs room (my friend ) had a bath and used the water available ! I rang reception to ask about the water and the owner did visit promptly and told me my friend had emptied the tank and I would have to wait for a bath. I did wait but expected after an hour to be able to use the water but it was still not warm so decided to have a shower instead but this was also cold. I rang again to ask about the supply but was told the hotel is 17th century and the water is a problem etc. The owner proceeded to say what did I expect him to do as this had never been a problem before. I did have a shower in another room but find this unacceptable and when leaving to go out 2 hours after we found the water was cold there still was not any hot water. During the rest of our stay there was not any form of customer care from the hotel to ask if everything was ok regarding the problems experienced. I have emailed twice since we have returned home to express my concerns but have still to receive a reply. I do not usually feel the need to report a hotel as terrible but on this occasion do as the lack of customer care is unbelievable. All hotels have problems but how they deal with them when they do occur says a lot about the management. I would strongly recommend you do not stay here and look for other accommodation in Burford if this is your choice of location. I understand that nightly prices are higher in this area and am quite willing to pay for a standard of accommodation and service of which the Burford hotel delivered neither and I have received better in a Travel Lodge !!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank karen b
Ian H, Public Relations Manager at Burford House, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Re: Complaint dated 28th January 2014 in relation to your stay between the 24th and 27th of January 2014

Thank you for your recent email dated the 4th of February 2014 following your stay at Burford House Hotel, contents of which are duly noted.

I am disappointed to hear that you feel the Hotel has not met its normal high standards in your recent experience and I notice you are very clear in your criticism in pointing out the areas that you feel the Hotel has failed. I have now had time to consider your points and I have also had the relevant tests carried out on the water heating system in question in order to determine the concerns you raise. I am very disappointed though not surprised also in your untruthful and overly critical comments on trip adviser. You will note that our reviews from other guests paint a totally different and positive view of the hotel and service experience.

I will now respond to your concerns in the order that you list them in your email:-

1. You say you were put into the annex at the rear of the Hotel. This comment suggests it was our decision to offer you the annex and that you felt you had no choice.
2. You say you had problems with hot water on the Saturday evening and that you rang reception and someone did come to your room to check the system and that they asked you to wait a couple of hours to let the tank heat up again and explained that the adjoining room up-stairs had in-fact used all the water in the tank.
3. You say you waited an hour and tried the water again but no hot water was available and that you could not even have a shower.
4. You say you did use another room to wash but found this unacceptable and that the two men in your group had to have cold shaves.
5. You say you felt that the explanation given was also unacceptable and fact that the building is a 17th Century building also a poor excuse and unacceptable.
6. You say you were told that this has not happened before and certainly not in the last 6yrs, and you find that to be unbelievable.
7. You say in your opinion the matter was not dealt with adequately and there was no follow up of customer care. You feel that at least a manager should have enquired how things were especially as this is in your opinion a large problem. Accordingly you feel unable to recommend our establishment in the future because of how the matter was handled.
8. You say you did not pursue the complaint because you say your friends in the room above were too upset and that she had taken a lot of care in booking a Hotel with large beds and baths in both rooms as this was something that was important to you as a couple and in your opinion this situation put the dampers on your stay.
9. You say for the remainder of the weekend both rooms that is yours and the room upstairs in which your friends resided only took showers as you did not want to take a chance in running out of water again.

I believe the above outlines your complaint in total and I will now try and deal with the issues raised in the same order as above;-

1. The Hotel has 8 rooms in total and they are all large rooms with excellent above average facilities. We discussed the two rooms in the annex as we thought you might prefer them as that way you would have complete privacy. This was simply a recommendation as there were other rooms available within the main part of the Hotel. This was your groups preferred choice.
2. You telephoned the reception at about 4pm to say that you had no hot water available. I personally took that call and advised you that someone would be with you shortly to see what might have gone wrong and hopefully to resolve the problem. Mr Hawkins the General Manager attended your room immediately following your call. He investigated the matter and concluded that the room above had used up all the water as they had run their bath fully. He explained this to you at the time; this is not an excuse but a fact as the two rooms share one large water tank between them. He asked you allow time for the immersions to heat the tank again at which point you would have sufficient water for you to fill a bath too.
3. You were asked to wait at least 2 hours you admit in your email that you waited only an hour and the water was still cold. It’s a large tank and needs two hours to reach a good temperature.
4. You were offered a free upgrade to a four poster bedroom suite called Wychwood which you declined insisting on wishing to stay where you were. As an alternative you and any other member of your party were offered the use of the suite to have your bath and to get ready in. You eventually accepted the offer and promptly used the facilities. There was no need for the gentlemen to have cold shaves as they could have used the same facilities you used with fresh towels etc that were provided for your party.
5. The Hotel building is a 17th Century build and therefore is very restricted in the building work that can be done. For this reason the two rooms share one very large immersion tank. Whether that is acceptable to you or not as an explanation is a matter for your own conscience. All we can do is to explain why we took the decision to install the large tank.
6. As the new owners of the establishment for 6yrs, we have not experienced a problem with water in these rooms prior to this incident. Again whether you choose to believe that or not is your prerogative. We can only express our personal experience.
7. We feel enough was done to deal with your issue and nothing more could have been done to satisfy you as we have already outlined in paragraph 4 above. The General Manager apologised to your friends as he had done in several telephone conversations with you. Your friends accepted the apology and told us that it was no big deal to them a slight inconvenience that was very quickly resolved to their satisfaction. They told us that the situation had not taken away anything from them enjoying the birthday. I personally came to your table at dinner time and again at breakfast and asked if all was well and if I remember correctly you and your husband never spoke but I had a lovely chat with your friends. It is disappointing and regrettable that you feel you cannot recommend our establishment however it is your prerogative to do so.
8. We do not accept that the matter caused upset to your friends nor do we accept that you could not complain at the time. The fact remains that you did complain and your complaints were dealt with effectively. I am not sure exactly what more anyone could expect to have done. As for your friends the situation most certainly did not deter them from enjoying their weekend. In fact when they came to check out the General Manager Mr Hawkins apologised to them yet again. They again said that they had enjoyed their weekend and a lovely birthday. They also put a message in our guest comments book which states that they found our “Hotel to be lovely and comfortable, food was wonderful and that they had a lovely and memorable Birthday”. It is interesting that their experience does not seem to match yours. When it came to checking out you did not come to reception but simply left your keys on the dresser near the exit. Yet again this is interesting as throughout the weekend you continued to make yourself in accessible.
9. There is no reason why you needed to refrain from taking bath and that it was your prerogative if you chose to have showers instead. I believe it was unnecessary and should not have been an issue.

I would like to apologise yet again for the hot water running out however in our defence I feel we did everything physically possible that could have been done to accommodate your needs. I believe we went the extra mile and more to ensure your experience was an excellent one. As you are aware we are a five star accommodation and belong to the elite in the Cotswolds known as The Cotswolds Finest. We are an Independent Hotel and especially proud of the level of service we offer our guests, including the personal attention to detail in customer care and accommodation. Our establishment as a whole has to pass rigorous audits in order to remain a five star accommodation. Our reviews from guests staying with us speak for themselves.

We trust that the above goes someway to explain our position and hope we will see you again in the not too distant future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

This is exactly what you expect when visiting a quality bed and breakfast, the owners have got it absolutely right. Lovely comfortable room with four poster bed and super bathroom with a large roll top bath for two! Decor and furniture make you feel as if you are a guest in someones house the the host Ian couldn't be more helpful. The cooked breakfast is the best I have had at a hotel or B&B anywhere. Bear in mind that you are right on the Burford high street - very picturesque, so you will get some traffic noise during the week, didn't bother us though and I bet it's fine on a Sunday.
We'll be back and will probably make this our regular stop in Burford.
P.S. Theres a fantastic sweet shop across the road - just saying!

Room Tip: All rooms look great, our had a four poster and roll top bath - superb.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed for a 2 night break away from the children in January. We were very impressed with the character and cleanliness of the place, slap bang in the middle of the main street with access to all of the pubs. Ian took care of our every needs and gave us plenty of information on walks and driving tours and where to eat and drink. The staff were friendly and attentive, the breakfasts were very nice (and big!) and our room (The Southrop) was just beautful.
I would heartily recommend a stay at Burford House, you won't be disappointed. I intend to go back at some point. We fell in love with the area, so much so that we now want to move there.

Room Tip: The Southrop - big, four poster room. Overlooking garden.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed here for our first Wedding Aniversary. Its all beautifully decorated and has an old world charm about it. Our room was nice, although not worth the £150 a night price tag, some aspects of the room were worn and old and in need of re decoration.The bed its self were two singles pushed together, this wasnt a problem but what was annoying was the lack of Duvet!! Im not in too just sheets and blankets so found that we were freezing in the night. Although little touches like the cookies were a welcome treat, along with the bath robes.
Breakfast was beautiful! and the staff lovely all round!
We didnt have dinner there as we felt that it wasnt our style but im sure it would have been lovely!!
Burford is such a wonderful place to visit and this was a great base!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Celebrating New Year at the Burford House Hotel was amazing. New Year' Eve Dinner was exquisite. The most delicious and beautifully presented canapes were very promising for what was about to follow. The Seven Course Dinner was Gourmet from beginning to end.
Ian and staff made us feel so at home and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. We can not thank everybody enough for a fabulous ending of 2013 and making 2014 already unforgettable.
Thank you.