“10/10!!”
Review of The Lamb Inn

The Lamb Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I stayed at The Lamb Inn in March 2012 and loved it. Burford is a quaint place and the hotel/inn is lovely - very authentic and comfortable with a high standard of luxury. I dined at The Bay Tree (their sister hotel just up the street from The Lamb Inn) for the evening and the food was utterly out of this world! I did have breakfast at The Lamb Inn and was more than satisfied. I'm a veggie and the offering was more than adequate. Simply delicious scrambled egg too. The room I stayed in (I think it was named Stable on the first floor) had an en suite bathroom with full size bath and shower and was finished beautifully with a selection of luxury toiletries. I loved my stay and wouldn't hesitate to visit again - as I intend to.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 June 2012

Based on other reviews, this was our second choice as our first choice was fully booked, however, the Lamb Inn did not disappoint. It is a very charming country inn with nice clean rooms that have a mix of country aesthetics and modern amenities. It is located in the lovely town of Burford, which is a very nice place to be based for day trips around the Cotswold. The staff at the Lamb Inn are very nice and helpful, and all our breakfasts and dinners at the Inn were delicious. The only faults I could find with the place were the occasional smokiness in the lobby and lounge areas whenever the fireplace was lit and the low shower water pressure in our room (The Barn).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We went to to The Lamb Inn for a weekend away. On arrival you are greeted by the perfume of a wisteria draped over the front of the hotel. We were welcomed in and our bags were taken up to our room which was pleasant, clean and pleasantly furnished. Bathroom was good with a good range of toileteries provided. We ate in the restaurant and found the food to be of good quality. All the staff were friendly and helpful. A great place for a weekend away.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed her on a Sunday night as they have a special offer available which consisted of a three course Sunday lunch with a glass of wine, bed and breakfast. We had eaten there before and the food had been good so we expected a good lunch and it was very good. The wine was also good. The room we had was up a twisting narrow staircase which you would not want if you had mobility problems but they did have other rooms up a different staircase and a room on the ground floor. The room was a decent size and had two cushioned window seats as well as two armchairs and a small table. The supplies with the kettle were generous with a selection of teas. The bathroom was well fitted and had an over the bath shower and was suppiled with a non slip mat to go in the bath if required and the toiletries were very nice.
My only complaint was to do with service at breakfast. The lady came to take our order for a cooked breakfast almost as soon as we had sat down which would not have been a problem if she had then given us time to have some cereal but I was just half way through my cereal and my husband had not even started when she came back with the cooked meals. Talk about fast food! She did offer to take it away again and keep it warm but we prefered to have it fresh. My smoked salmon and scrambled egg was excellent, my husband had the full english but it came without blackpudding so he had to ask for it and although it was brought quickly it was a very thin piece and rather dry the rest of the breakfast was fine. On check out I was suprised to find that although the lunch was included in the special deal a 10% service charge had been added to the bill for the lunch. Not that I objected to it as I would have left a tip anyway based on the whole bill but nowhere had I seen a notice advising of this service charge. I expect it is in the small print somewhere. I was able to use the WIFI both in the bedroom and in the garden, which is very pretty. By the way, the Inn does not have parking but you can part in the carpark of the hotel next door as they are part of the same company.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I usually stay at the Hotel Du Vin in Henley when I am in Oxfordshire but could not get a room for the two nights this week. I therefore decided to expand my horizons and as I needed to be near here booked The Lamb Inn. First impressions were mixed, the car park was closed but there was adequate parking outside and on entering what was a genuine quaint stone flagged bar/lounge/reception it took a little time to get checked in. The room (Daisy) was ground floor, a little dark but extremely well equipped with a small bathroom but full size Moulton and Brown bath delights. I settled in turned up the heating ( it was cold but quickly warmed up) and ventured through to the bar for a G & T. It came with lime on request (a particular quirk I have)
and I ordered from the bar menu to eat in my room. The food was exceptional, speedy, tasty and beautifully presented. A very comfortable night followed with a superb breakfast (including Gluten free toast) A second night ensued with two courses from the very comprehensive but not over complicated menu again enjoyed by room service. Once more the quality of the food, presentation and service were all without fault. Breakfast was again super and check out speedy and efficient. I would recommend, but perhaps a larger room if there is more than just one of you.

Room Tip: I imagine (though didn't see) that the first floor rooms are larger, lighter and more private.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We stayed at the Lamb for two nights in early May. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience in a beautiful old building.Public rooms are very nice and the courtyard is beautiful. Staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast offered was excellent - large variety of well cooked and served options which included fruit....often hard to find on English menus in my experience. We had one meal from the bar menu...nice enough, but huge portions and vegetables are not featured very much.
Our room, "Windrush" was clean and comfortable. Decoration is rather tired. It was nice to have tea and coffee making equipment and appreciated the offer of fresh milk.
The bathroom was spacious and the shower good. No ventilation system...perhaps its difficult to install in such an old building; so it would have been nice to have towel racks or hooks. It's hard to reuse towels if they have been lying in a damp pile all day!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Bill R, Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. I am very pleased that your stay was enjoyable and you were pleased by the beauty of the Lamb Inn. We take great pride in our hotel and servicing of our guests.

I am also very happy to read that you enjoyed our dining options. Our Head Chef has been employed as such since 2002 and is a beacon of high quality and consistency, locally and further afield. Bar fayre is intended to provide larger portions therefore I am glad this was the case but accept it overstepped your needs this time.

I am disappointed to read that you found your bedroom “tired”. Windrush was fully redecorated in April 2011 and, to my eye, still looks new. With inspection I cannot find the root of this comment. I have canvassed guest opinion since your visit and have found to the contrary.

There is a very clear note in each bathroom regarding the option of towel changing or reusing. As your room is cleaned every day our housekeeping team will happily provide clean towels every day when indicated by guests. However, in the bigger picture, if there is anything in a room not to your pleasing then I do encourage guests to contact me at the time so any situations can be rectified.

Again, I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and am contactable on manager@lambinn-burford.co.uk if there is anything I can help with.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

What a treat, a nice English country pub that's not a cliché, and serves GREAT food and beer. We were actually treating ourselves to a meal this time in the excellent restaurant...our first experience here was a beautiful cream tea that was both tasty and plentiful!

The meal was excellent, great dining room with atmosphere and plenty of space to your neighbours for an intimate couples experience - rather than listening to someone else papping on! Great wine, great super attentive service, the food was B-E-A-ootiful (sorry if you don't like Jim Carey) from start to finish. The only thing that kept it from 5 star food was that it could have been piping hot rather than "warm enough"

We will definitely revisit this me, possibly to stay...the room rates that were dinner bed and breakfast, whilst not cheap on any level, were somewhat enticing!

Room Tip: We didn't stay on this occasion. For a better table in the restaurant phone ahead and ask for a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden
White Hart Royal Hotel
White Hart Royal Hotel
#1 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh

Been to The Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!