“The Lamb Inn, Burford. Never want to leave!”
Review of The Lamb Inn

The Lamb Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed in The Allium room, which has the most wonderful bathroom! The bedroom was gorgeous too. This was a return trip for us, we had amazing memories of a visit 2 years ago and The Lamb did not disappoint.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who were friendly and extremely helpful. They told us where to find the best bonfire for Guy Fawkes celebrations, booked taxis and accommodated my food allergies.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in The Cotswolds and highly recommend it. We'll be back again next year.

Room Tip: Allium is very quiet with lovely views and lots of light.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Please note that there is no need to leave…an annual rate can be agreed! Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Having just read the previous two reviews I can't believe we stayed in the same place! From the moment we arrived we were captivated. After a warm welcome we settled in our room, Signet (only negative here was the small shower) and were delighted with the flapjacks and Molton Brown toiletries.
We were booked in to the restaurant for dinner and both thoroughly enjoyed our meals, the steak cooked in hay was delicious. We finished our evening in the warm and friendly bar, only problem here loud obnoxious guests from across the pond but they can be found anywhere.
We were pleased to discover this is a dog friendly hotel and enjoyed meeting new canine as well as human guests.
Breakfast was enjoyable and all the staff were attentive and friendly. After a day in the Cotswolds we returned to a warm welcome and settled ourselves in the lounge where we enjoyed a lovely bar meal, the Cotswold pie was more than value for money and also tasted delicious. We met some fellow guests who were on their third visit here.
We will definitely return here and have recommended it to local friends. From the minute we arrived until the minute we left we were treated extremely welll. Those who have given negative reviews must be extremely hard to please. When we return we hope we will be there in a warmer season to fully enjoy the beautiful gardens.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind and supportive review of our hotel. I also hope you have the opportunity to visit us when our garden is in full swing but regardless of season rest assured you will be welcomed with the same warmth.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We have just returned from 2 nights at the Lamb Inn. It was our 45th wedding anniversary celebration. Our room was the Auricula classed as superior. We had about 6 woodlice crawling over the carpet, no long mirror in the bedroom or bathroom & no shaving mirror. Two bulbs needed replacing and I would of thought by the second night they would have been replaced!!!Considering it was classed as a superior room I feel that this should be mentioned.
Our dinner in the restaurant was not up to the standard. The steak wasn't good after complaining twice! The restaurant manager dealt with us very fairly but it was disappointing as my choice was okay so I was finished long before my husband!!!
Staff were excellent very friendly, courteous and helpful. Bar and lounge very warm and cosy.
We are not ones to complain but felt for what we paid it wasn't up to standard
This is the 4th hotel we have stayed with in this chain and I must say not the best
Stayed 26th-28th October

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

I am terribly sorry that you have found your stay with us so disappointing. Please note the following. I have never had woodlice reported to me or witnessed them in any of our bedrooms. I have checked in Auricula every morning since your review and have found none. However, to ensure that the future will not bring woodlice to this room, there has been a simple treatment recommended and applied. I am not pleased to here that your light bulbs were not noticed and changed however a quick call to reception or management would have had this remedied immediately or at a time of your convenience. Although there was a problem with your beef, I am glad that you agree it was dealt with well but you have neglected to mention the reparations made.

I am very pleased that the staff service you received was excellent and public areas were to your liking.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My partner and I visited the Lamb Inn earlier this year for the purpose of having a Sunday dinner. Staff were friendly and seated us outside in the sunshine, our drinks order was taken and was brought to us swiftly. We asked whether or not there was a carvery on, or if they had a Sunday menu but we were only offered a choice of a beef, pork or lamb dinner (all around £14).

After several near-misses with wasps, our food arrived. Unfortunately there was a lack of gravy, and Yorksire puds for my liking, the plate comprised a handful of veg, a couple roasties and a slither of meat resembling a leather sandal. Although my lamb dinner was poor, my partner's was inedible and she promptly requested a different choice. With CREDIT to the kitchen, they swapped her main, but the replacement dish was still of a shonky quality.

Given that you can have a carvery for around £8 in some of our local pubs (which are within a 10mile radius of The Lamb Inn), both of these dinners were very disappointing given the price. As with some of the other Burford pubs, I think the Lamb Inn has hiked prices as a result of the ever-growing tourist population.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bert_gab
Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

I am very sorry to hear of your poor lunch experience. We pay a premium for our roasting meats on Sunday and do our very best to ensure that you receive a prime plate of food. Lamb is not a meat traditionally served with a Yorkshire pudding but is something we do without a quibble on request and wasps are an unavoidable pitfall every August/September. Please accept my apologies and I hope you will visit again to see that our kitchen output is of a standard to be proud of

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have visited The Lamb Inn three times now, and each occasion has been a complete pleasure. The staff are all friendly, courteous and extremely helpful, their service impeccable, the rooms are comfortable and luxurious and certainly far from shabby, and the food is always absolutely delicious and beautifully prepared.

Each room has a welcoming teddy bear sitting on the bed (these can also be purchased from reception if you fall in love), a complimentary turn-down service in the evening whilst one is eating, Molton Brown toiletries to use in the bathrooms and delicious and tempting homemade flapjacks with the bedroom hot drinks tray. Every detail is thoughtful - from the stack of new magazines in the rooms to the flowers on the breakfast tray if one chooses breakfast in bed, The Lamb is a truly welcoming hotel and I know that we will be back again in the future.

Staying here is, in short, a delight, and I can barely believe that the earlier 'disappointed' reviewer stayed in the same place. As to the issue with the dustcart - this is real life, Burford is a real place where ordinary people live and work and refuse collection is a part of that life, so get over it!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

It is always a pleasure to have you and your mother visit and I look forward to your next with us. I also thank you for your support.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Met friends for dinner in this lovely Cotswold Pub that has character as well as good service and great food. Low beams, small cozy bar was great for a pre dinner drink. Onto the main restaurant for a pleasant fine dining experience. Happy with the service. Wine list was good. I thoroughly enjoyed the Chateau Sargent chosen by my friend who knows his wines. Food was well presented and well cooked if not outstanding but no complaints. A very enjoyable meal in relaxed surroundings. I would happily return.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BikeCoxy

Thank you for such a generous review. From aperitif through to digestif we do our best to provide a very enjoyable dining experience.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the last reviewer,we thought The Lamb was a lovely hotel,it is a small place with just 18 rooms. It was just right for a short two night stay in the Cotswolds.We had The Barn which was a superior room,not huge but plenty big enough for the two of us,it was furnished in a traditional style but the bathroom was very modern with a very large shower. The only minor improvements which could be made would be extra lighting for make up, hair etc in the bedroom and hotter water in the shower.Everywhere was very clean,nowhere was 'shabby'

The breakfast was delicious and we liked sitting in the lounge by the log fire in the evening to enjoy a nightcap.

Service from everyone was excellent.

We would recommend this hotel and happily stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joandgr

Thank you for your kind review and support. I am pleased that you have enjoyed so many aspects of our hotel and in particular the log fires. At this time of year it is fantastic to offer the five fires to sit by. Even if only aesthetically, we enjoy them too! We look forward to receiving you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
0 mi away
#7 of 8 in Burford
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to The Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!