“Long Wait for Lunch”
Review of The Lamb Inn

The Lamb Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The setting, internal decoration and quality of food should have made our lunch the special meal we were hoping for. Sadly a one and three quarter hour wait for the main course to arrive totally destroyed any pleasure that could have been had. Even though the restaurant was half empty, when I said I was disappointed about the delay in serving I was just told that; “they were very busy with bar meals today”. Saying sorry might have helped! A totally disappointing experience never to be repeated.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Parks9
Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

I would appreciate if you would contact me directly to see if I can further investigate and assist with your complaint. Having been around almost every day for the last few weeks I have been very aware of every aspect of hotel business, in particular our food and beverage delivery. With this confidence I find it highly unlikely that you waited for an hour and three quarters for your main course. At times when the hotel is very busy, in particular Christmas, it is natural that there are increased delays in service but I would consider half of the time you have noted as unacceptable. Thank you.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

After being told I needed to take a rest from my doctor I decided to hit a hotel for a couple of nights and do nothing. After trawling the boutique hotels of England I decided that what I really wanted was a relaxed country Pub/Inn where I could sit in a lounge with roaring fires, great food and a few steps up stairs to bed... and WOW did we find it in the end.

The Lamb Inn at Burford is an island of calm in our crazy world. 2 nights including a fantastic dinner on both evenings. The rooms were perfectly sized and full of everything we could need. Breakfast was excellent served impeccably both days by the superb staff... in my humble opinion they got the mix of professionalism and friendliness absolutely right.

The simple highlight for me was the second evening spent relaxing in a cosy lounge, with a roaring fire, glass of wine in hand and dinner where we sat... it was so perfect.

I have already recommended this hotel/inn to all my friends and business contacts as it is now mine and my wife's secret oasis from our busy lives.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Allium Room and it was as good as and probably better than any room we have stayed...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

I have considered emailing this review to the NHS to see if we can gain a genuine medical accreditation! Thank you for visiting and I am very pleased that we were able to take care of you so well, particularly with your need for a rest.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

just enjoyed a very tasty lunch, in the restaurant excellent food well prepared and presented. lovely flavours, pleasant service with some nice personal touches for my birthday and our anniversary.We will be back.
Doug and Molly

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for joining us on your birthday and anniversary and secondly, thank you for a kind review. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to take care of you again soon.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

The hotel was as picturesque as the village itself and the rustic charm continued inside. Each guest room is individually named with its own style and features. It added to the sense of history and tradition but also to the bruises on my head. At 6'3 I struggled in and out of our room!
The bar and lounge were very comfortable with log fire and big armchairs. Service was a little slow but worth the wait.
Dinner was a different experience altogether - 3 courses turned into 6 with pre-desserts etc added in at no extra cost. Service was excellent with good wine suggestions to accompany our food. We left the table very satisfied by one of the best meals we've eaten. Breakfast was of a similar standard.

Only minor fault was parking, but that seemed to be a village wide issue. Did find a lot of the people in town to be a tad pretentious but that's to be expected in this area!
If we visit Burford again, this will be our hotel of choice.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt M

I am very pleased to read of your enjoyment. It is an honour to provide food which can be described as one of the best meals ever. I hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Had a wonderful 2 night stay with our dog in 'Rosie' room.Very comfortable with garden for the dog.
Excellent hotel,roaring log fires,superb food,wonderful service,extremely friendly and helpful staff.
Can't wait to return,thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronda286

Thank you. We look forward to catering for you again soon!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We were booked into The Lamb Inn by some friends and they joined us for dinner.

The room was very comfortable, not too hot and there was loads of hot water. We were in Daisy, room 12, ground floor, next to the road. In spite of this it was very quiet overnight and we slept very well.

The 3 course dinner with our friends was superb. Amuse bouche, scallops with langoustines, slightly smoked fillet steak for two of us and lamb for the others, pre-dessert, dessert/cheese - my mouth is watering again just thinking about it.

Good night's sleep then a superb breakfast with freshly squeezed fruit juice and eggs benedict. Yum!

The staff were polite, friendly and professional.

We've been telling everyone about it and will be returning. First class.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller1003

You have enjoyed the Lamb exactly as we hope all will. Good food, a few drinks, great company and a good rest. Thank you.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

What a lovely surprise to come across a time capsule in the beautiful town of Burford
At the time of our visit log fires and a warm welcome, staff so polite and helpful what could be nicer
and a varied and interesting menu. Burford a place to linger and no better place than The Lamb
to unwind.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank buckstraveller10

The Lamb has a detached magic while I believe is borne from hundreds of years of laughter and relaxation. The physical building creates an environment and ambience which is hard to duplicate. Thank you for your kind words and I hope we will see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to The Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!