“A stay of 2 halves”
Review of The Lamb Inn

The Lamb Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Lamb Inn is a very quaint and charming hotel, full of historic character.
However there are steps everywhere; on entry from the street, to the bar and restaurant, to the public conveniences and to the rear courtyard and garden - not a ramp in sight!. Not good when you are travelling with an elderly relative with reduced mobility - a wheel chair user would be in real trouble. At best this is "glossed over" in their online accessibility statement.
Service in the hotel was excellent both in the bar and restaurant and had a good variety of food available, although quite a few of the bar food options promoted on their website are not available to order! Breakfast was superb and offered a huge variety - with lots of locally sourced excellent produce.
We had booked 2 rooms and phoned them directly to see if they had suitable rooms available. The receptionist was extremely helpful and arranged for a ground floor room with walk-in shower (Garnes), whilst the other room we were offered was their luxury Allium suite. Allium is a wonderful room and highly recommended, well equipped and spacious, with a fantastic HUGE bathroom.
The other room - Garnes - was also good as far as the room was concerned, but had probably the smallest claustrophobic shower room, located under a slopping ceiling I have ever experienced. There was not even space for a towel rail (only a hoop on the back of the door), so fresh linen was placed on a chair or on the bed in the main room. We had specifically requested and been promised a walk-in shower and the reality = a 8-10 inch step to entry was a real issue. There was also a potential problem with security. Garnes is a ground floor - street level room and none of the large windows could be secured or locked, in fact with the small quarter-light window open for ventilation it was easy to reach in from outside, open a window and gain access in seconds. Despite assurances from the manager regarding local crime levels, this was of little or NO comfort to the elderly single female occupant!
Overall an enjoyable stay despite the issues with one of the rooms!

Room Tip: Avoid Garnes if you like fresh air and security is an important consideration!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nick V
Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for your review and for your description of so many highlights. I am sorry that the building security and accessibility is something which impacted on your stay so much. Your comments on security have been recorded but I did think we had remedied the bedroom ventilation and temperature with the two large fans provided on your arrival day. The hotel is generally challenged by it’s age and physical dynamic when we are faced with access requests but we usually find we can appease. Garnes and the hotel as a whole are enjoyed by wheelchair users regularly without any issues. This include a member of my own family twice per year. Again, many thanks and I hope we will see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Lamb Inn

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The Lamb Inn is a great place to stay with an old English charm. We stayed for 4 nights. Our room is warm and charming. The bar and restaurant serve very good food. My daughter ordered crayfish risotto and said it was the best. The bathroom is very small but quite modern, bright and clean with great amenities. The people there are very friendly and ready to help us. Breakfast is always great with a lot of a la carte freshly cooked menu plus a buffet table. I especially love the croissant and egg Benedict.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

It was lovely to read your review and hear of your favoured dishes from our kitchen. Our Head Chef does make a delicious risotto and the crayfish and chive option is almost becoming a menu fixture. I hope we will see you again soon. Kind regards

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a memorable three night stay.
The staff were all friendly, efficient and courteous without being over solicitous. The lounges were comfortable, charming and full of character.
Our bedroom was a superior double (Garnes) which was on the ground floor and overlooked the street. No noise at all and was tastefully decorated and well appointed with two tub chairs and window seats. The bathroom although small came with a walk in shower which was as requested. An abundance of clean laundered towels both morning and evening.
We stayed on a "three for two" deal which included dining in the restaurant on two nights. The food was superb and delightfully presented. Although supposedly a three course dinner we enjoyed complimentary pre-dinner nibbles, complimentary amuse bouche and complimentary pre-desert. We also sampled the bar menu on the third night which is extensive and of high quality.
We particularly enjoyed sitting in the walled garden which is quintessentially English cottage complete with friendly blackbirds and thrushes.
We will not be considering any other accommodation next time we return to the Cotswolds.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin B

Your review is hugely appreciated and welcome. It is wonderful when guests take such pleasure from our hotel and service. We are proud to note that our garden has recently seen the addition of a Red-legged Partridge and five tiny chicks! We look forward to receiving you again and providing some Cotswold sanctuary for you.Thank you.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel and found the staff to be very friendly and pleasant. The waitress at breakfast was a lovely girl, very attentive and efficient. The breakfast choices were huge and upon ordering a cooked breakfast this was delivered fairly quickly. The dining room the breakfast was served in was a lovely big room, very light and tables not too close together.

My room was a bit crowded, I had the Signet room with a very small ensuite. The shower was so small I had to open the door to put conditioner on my hair and I am not a big person. A man would have trouble washing in this shower. The room was lovely, but there was far too many things in the room. The window seat was a lovely place to sit and read though, it looked out onto the street which was lovely. They also supplied you with 2 flapjacks each day (an oat slice) these were absolutely yummy and were a welcome treat.

The hotel itself was very charming with lots of character and a few different rooms serving as the bar and dinner at night was a feast to say the least ! The town of Burford is also a charming village with lots of interesting shops, I went for a walk each morning in the streets around the hotel and the Cotswolds stone houses are just gorgeous.

I would stay here again but request not to be put in the Signet room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your glowing report. I recall your visit and we enjoyed your company. I hope we can arrange a different room for you next time. The centuries old physical dynamics of our bedrooms and hotel offer many positives and in a few occasions a restriction or two. Signet is a small, very well appointed and decorated room with a shower unit and although not the largest room it is a room which is requested by repeat guests for its other strengths. Individual perception plays a huge part in room choice and enjoyment. We have a very well informed and professional reservations team specific to the Lamb who will be very pleased to take the time to find you the most suitable option. This applies to any of our visitors, new or returning.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Ate with husband and friend recently. Lovely hotel/pub with great garden. We ate inside. I had a roast and a hot pudding. Lovely flavours and well cooked food BUT the plates were cold and the food was tepid at best. In fact one piece of cauliflower was stone cold. Why can't these sort of hotels warm a plate. Really spoilt my meal. Husband said his was cold too. Staff were nice enough but I mentioned cold food to the bar man we paid who like all the staff were foreign and I don't think had any authority to deal with complaints. Didn't want to make a fuss as was with a friend and would like to try it again sometime but really hope it can sort this problem out and soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank onthecase59

Thank you for your feedback. It is equally as important that I compile and deal with situation like this as it is to read positive reviews. We had a weekend just passed where our kitchen lost its hot cupboard (used for plate storage) through an electrical fault and we could not get an engineer on site until Monday morning. I am thinking that you visited during this. The kitchen team had to heat each plate individually under the grill and until now I believed that we had managed this quite well. Please contact me directly on manager@lambinn-burford.co.uk as I would like the opportunity to fully appease your disappointment.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My family stayed in three rooms over one night recently and also enjoyed an evening meal paying over £600 in total.

Some obvious pluses included location (central Burford), beautiful setting, the historic buildings and very good and well presented food. The B&B was also clean and tidy and generally well appointed. All were as we expected. As expected we had to park on the street because there is no on-site parking but this was relatively painless despite the, at times, heavy traffic through Burford. Our three double rooms were relatively small as befitting the age of the property.

Service was mainly very good (one male member staff was excellent when dealing with a late night domestic issue) but there were a couple of negatives. The bed/mattress in my/my wife's room was uncomfortable and felt rickety (tighten the frame?) and resulted in us having a disturbed sleep.

Overall a very pleasant stay in a well run establishment but with a couple of issues that prevent a five star rating,

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for such a kind review. I am expecting delivery of a new bed frame today for the room you mentioned. Please accept my apologies for this as part of your experience. As soon as I was aware of this as an unfixable maintenance issue we acted. I am hoping that with this taken from the equation you will visit again and award us five stars.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Regularly go to the lamb for dinner or just a drink. Lovely atmosphere, great food and friendly and welcoming staff. Sit by the open fires in the winter and in the lovely gardens in the summer. Definitely recommend this to anyone .

• Stayed: May 2014
Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

I think I will use the word “haven” more frequently when describing the Lamb. It does describe very well! Thank you and I hope we will see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Maytime Inn
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to The Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!