“Delicious, Historic, Pretty Street”
Review of Maison Blanc - CLOSED

Maison Blanc
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Opened in 2009, we are located half way down Burford High Street. We have plenty of indoor and outdoor seating and a wonderfully cheerful team who look forward to serving you with a seasonal menu, handmade patisserie and freshly baked pastries in store each day. Baby change facility available. Licensed.
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Sit outside with a delightful Maison Blanc Cream Tea on a summer's afternoon watching the world go by (or at least the citizens of Burford), and no matter where you're from you'll feel quintessentially English.

You look across the road and see a row of eccentric, ancient, stooped and out of square buildings that connect you into a world 400 years away and yet as up to date as the Evoques and Porches parked along the street.

Of course you may feel the effects of gravity threatening to pull you off your chair, and it takes a certain bravado to keep your plate from sliding off the table while slathering strawberry jam and cream onto your scone. But that's part of the faintly ridiculous Britishness of the whole experience. It's not Maison Blanc's fault that Burford High Street runs steeply downhill. In fact the staff do more than enough to make up for any topographical faults. The service is excellent, the food delightful and the cheerful friendly welcome is heartwarming.

Just go there. Sit down. Look. Breathe. Relax. Eat. Enjoy.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

We are all delighted to read this review, Robert.

Thank you for your kind words - we warmly welcome you back to Maison Blanc upon your next visit.

We will always do all we can to battle the gradient of the High Street!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We came here on the strength of the recommendation from our B&B host, who felt Maison Blanc offered the best afternoon tea in town. The tea and coffee were outstanding, as were the scones and sandwiches. Service was prompt, friendly, and attentive. Prices were very reasonable. As it was near closing time, the server added a few extras at no charge, which made us feel very welcome. This is a must-stop for anyone visiting locally.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you very much indeed for reviewing your visit!

We very much enjoyed serving you afternoon tea and I am glad that you found our sandwiches and sweet treats to be outstanding.

We warmly welcome you back should you find yourself returning to Burford.

Many thanks, Tristan Dixon, General Manager.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Maison Blanc has good products. It feels like sitting in a shop and the service has no heart. The teashop is just the last one on the hill. Sitting outside is not very comfortable.

1  Thank willSlenaken
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We where passing through Burford and stop the night for breaky we stopped at the Madison Blanc service was good and polite and reasonably quick food looked nice but small and perfectly formed but I thought pricey for what we had but it's a tourist town so it is what it is!!

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for reviewing your visit to Maison Blanc in Burford. I am glad you found our service to be of a high standard – we aim for a friendly, professional service to accompany the best breakfast around! We look forward to welcoming you upon your next visit – and do let us know if you’d like any extra toppings to help bulk up your breakfast!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was meeting a friend, but arrived in time for a solo lunch, even after waiting a good few minutes to be seated (it was not busy) at a grubby table which the waitress asked if I'd like her to wipe! I had the goats cheese salad which was delicious, but when I asked what sort of cheese it was, neither the waitress nor the chef knew! My friend arrived and we were eventually served, but my friend had to go and ask for her coffee as the order "hadn't gone through the till". The waitresses were standing chatting and drinking together - surely the girl who took our order could have kept an eye on her customers. We were unimpressed by the state of the floor, the washing up area and the kitchen which were frankly filthy. The upstairs loo was through another seating area which was cluttered with empty boxes. The food was nice, the cakes delicious, the coffee lovely, but the waitresses were inefficient and lazy and not particularly welcoming and the place as a whole was not as clean as I would expect.

Maison B, Manager at Maison Blanc, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Rosie, thank you for your thoughts about Maison Blanc. Your opinion matters to me greatly and your comments can improve the day-to-day operation of our business here in Burford. I apologise that the table had not been wiped down thoroughly after the previous guest – though I am glad your waitress was able to rectify this shortcoming. I am disappointed to hear that you did not receive your drink until after a prompt – this falls short of the standard expected at Maison Blanc and I will converse with your waitress with regards to why this happened. Unfortunately we were having repair works to our customer toilet and whilst I am happy to invite customers to our upstairs loo, I do apologise that was not as impressive as the usual customer toilet. I am very glad that you enjoyed the Goats Cheese Salad I prepared for you and I am also pleased that our cakes and coffee were too of a high standard. I will build on your comments and ensure that the front-of-house service can always match our proud high food standard!