“Enjoyable meal”

Dining options: Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable meal”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had a most enjoyable meal at the Windmill Carvery last night (Saturday 30th November).

There were at least 2 big parties in the main room, and though we could have sat in there, we were offered the choice of a table nearer the bar....where there was also a lovely log fire. We chose the latter.

Staff were, as always, cheerful and friendly. We opted for the carvery and a pudding - we never bother with a starter here as we find 2 courses enough. I had beef and turkey, my partner had beef and pork. All the meat was very tender and tasty. There was a good selection of vegetables, and we particularly liked the leeks in cheese sauce. The chef who carves the meat for you was lovely, and if you ask for a little bit more meat, he will happily carve you some. He is not mean with his carving and you do get decent slices here, not like some carveries I have been to where they practically shave the meat off the joint so it is wafer thin.

Puddings were brought round on a trolley. I had a lovely berry and chocolate cheesecake, and my partner had a toffee cheesecake. Both were served with cream.

Despite the fact that there were big parties in, service was always efficient and we never felt that we were overlooked.

We have always enjoyed ourselves where we have visited the Windmill. The only complaint I would make is that, in common with many carveries, they have small plates. Now, I can understand this, because if you give some people a big plate, they will fill it to the brim, and you might have too much wastage. But for me, I find that when I get the meat and a Yorkshire pud on my plate, there is precious little space for the veg without piling it on top - and then there is no room to sort out what you are eating. So, some bigger plates, just so food can be spread out a bit more, would be welcome.

However, this is a minor niggle, and does not detract from our enjoyment. We have always found it to be a very pleasant place and we have not had a bad meal there. It is not "fine dining" but it is not pretending to be; we have found it to be tasty and reliable food in pleasant surroundings with nice staff. What's not to like about that?

• Visited November 2013

Swindon, United Kingdom
“GREAT LOCATION”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We visited this restaurant for the first time on Thursday 28th November 2013 and had no preconceptions of what to expect, did not even know it was a carvery although there is a small menu as well.
The greeting was very friendly and after a short wait we had the carvery which was very good, 3 meats and plenty of potatoes and vegetables all served by a very friendly chef and the food when we ate was really good. we then had several choices of desserts which again were very good and a couple of glasses of wine it was a really nice time, the staff were friendly and polite with a good sense of humour and will be going back again.

• Visited November 2013
Falkirk
“Tasty but”
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Staff seemed more interested in dealing with older customers in. Was quiet (only 5 tables including us) but still seemed like we had to wait for service.

Carvery was lovely. Chef very friendly and well presented. Reasonably priced-£11.95 for carvery and pudding. Puddings were very tasty. The waitress seemed cheerier at this point as well.

England
“Average”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I went to the Windmill with my partner for Sunday lunch. We arrived early for our reservation but the staff were very friendly and we had a drink at the bar whilst waiting for our table. We had two courses, starter and main. The choices for starter were soup or a 'help yourself' buffet which had a selection of pastas, meats, salad, olives, quiche etc all of which were ok but the quality was average and none of the dishes were labelled. For the main the meat was well cooked but the selection of vegetables was limited and the food is served on quite small plates so it was difficult to carry through to the dining room without spillage. We were too full for dessert but this was pushed round on a cart by the waitress. Overall I thought the food was expensive for what it was -£15.95 for two courses. The setting is beautiful and the staff helpful. The opening hours are also restrictive, only lunchtime on a Sunday.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank KattyEngland
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“Walk in”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We turn up on a Saturday dinner time after ringing several times but no answer to be told closed for a wedding. This should have been posted on there website .when I Emailed them told should have booked. They take walk ins. Christmas Dinner wont be here.

• Visited August 2013