“Wonderful place to eat.”
Review of The Mermaid Inn

The Mermaid Inn
Ranked #13 of 39 Restaurants in Burford
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

On a visit to my mother-in-laws home in England, my wife and I decided to go with her to the lovely town of Burford. There are many eating places there, and we liked the look from the outside of this Inn. There is seating on the outside at the front, but as there was a lot of traffic we decided to go inside. What a surprise! There was ample seating on two floors, but at the rear there is a delightful area outside, which is where we decided to be seated. The bar area is really nice in an old style sort of way. We ordered, and two of us had the smoked salmon, one of us in a baguette and the other in granary bread. What was a really nice touch, was that the goat's cheese that came with it, was in a small individual pot, so could be used as little or as much, according to taste, plus the helping of smoked salmon I considered to be very generous. My wife had the whitebait, and all three of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal, and were still talking about it the next day. The drinks prices were also very reasonable i.e. wine, coffee, tea. What also made our visit to this Inn so memorable, was the tremendously friendly and welcoming service given by the two ladies that dealt with us throughout the meal. When we return later in the year, we shall certainly be going back again. All in all, a wonderful experience, and congratulations to the staff for making it so. Thank you.

5  Thank dpgee_9

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I went with my family and we had to wait an hour for our main course, which was lacking and the portions were small. We also had to wait a while to order and get out desserts.

1  Thank Gwen100
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Just had a wonderful meal at the Mermaid, it's a real Jewel in the Cotswold Crown,the Steak and Ale pie is the best, plus the selection of Ales are brilliant.

1  Thank John H
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Had a meal with Friends at The Mermaid in Burford... Brilliant!!

As a chef I'm always on the look out for ideas for vegetarian options for Menus.. The Veggie Burger was one of the nicest burger I've had period, a mix of veg and quorn served in a bun with fries and salad made for a great tasting meal.

The bar was busy with locals which makes for a great atmosphere, staff are friendly and we're advertising a Claire voyant night in May which looks like a fun night.

An enjoyable experience.

2  Thank Little-chef2290
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Ive been into the mermaid a few times with my gf and although always very busy its outstanding for service and food every time we were seated quickly and orders and drinks are brought over in a very good time I have eaten out in burford a couple of times but the mermaid is by far the best for service and food I would defo recommend this place for a meal any time of the week its always first class.. I will defo be bk soon for a meal very shortly I always have a Sunday roast its the best around and very well presented and tastes amazing I thank all the staff for an amazing meal and service every time I go in ;-)

2  Thank Shaun L