“Fabulous”
Review of The Maytime Inn

The Maytime Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My Wife & I have just spent 2 nights at the Maytime (10th & 11th June) dining in the restaurant on both nights,
I have to say that we found it superb in every respect.
The recently refurbished rooms are beautifully decorated & the attention to detail second to none, there was even underfloor heating in the bathroom & the quality of the fittings was first class, the proprietors Dominic & Sabrina were a delightful couple & the staff were all very helpful & friendly.
We found the food excellent & the inclusion of a couple of Balinese dishes was a welcome surprise (I tried both & they were fabulous).
We have stayed & dined in lots of establishments in this price bracket & above, rarely do they come up to this standard.
Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Boot Room
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DELIDAVE

Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed on June1st 2013 sharing a twin with a friend, we were on a fishing trip.
Our room was very recently refurbed as was the whole hotel. Wonderfully Egyptian cotton sheets and under floor heating in the bathroom made for a great stay. The small but interesting menu is well balanced and includes some delicious dishes from their Balinese chef. Room and breakfast for 2 was £140.00 and dinner for 2 with a bottle of Malbec £77.00
Good value and worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We spent 1 night at the Maytime on Saturday 25th May 2013.

We arrived at around 3pm and were shown to the 'Saddlers Room' (the name affectionately given to our room for the night). As pub and accommodation have just had an extensive refurbishment, and the rooms have only been available to use for 3 weeks, the lovely smell of new carpet was delightful!

The room was lovely, decorated to a really high standard. The king size bed was very comfortable. Our room had an en-suite shower room (no bath), but the shower was great.

After checking in we asked the staff for a walking route, which they happily helped us with. The walk was beautiful (helped by the gorgeous weather) - crossing the river, through fields, we also stopped at the Swann Inn for a drink (and vowed to return for food as it looked so nice).

We ate at the Maytime that night. The service was very good, as was the food.

We retired to bed and were disturbed slightly by people going in/out of the other 2 rooms that were adjacent to ours (Tack and Farrier). The rooms aren't particularly sound proofed at the doors, and each of them have a lovely wooden sign (Do not disturb/Make the room up) on a piece of rope on the door - a really cute idea, but practically not great (they clatter every time the door is opened or closed). The noise settled down quick quickly though.

However, as there were children staying in one of the other 2 rooms next to us, and their parents in the other room - we were woken up at around 7am by repeatedly opening/closing of doors and clattering signs. Not great when the room price wasn't cheap! We mentioned it to the staff and they said they would look into it.

Breakfast was good.

All in all it was a lovely stay and I would recommend going if you're thinking about it. There were just a few niggles that need to be ironed out (but they are only on week 3!):

- The water pressure was not great (you had to wait about 15-20 seconds for the trickle of water to kick into full flow)
- Could have done with additional in-room tea/coffee options (e.g. peppermint/earl grey)
- The Saddlers/Tack rooms are right by the pub garden (essentially one of the walls of the garden, which isn't that big) - although this concerned me at first, because it wasn't that warm people didn't stay in the garden drinking until late - so it was actually fine. But this may be a consideration in the high summer months.
- Door sound proofing and clattering signs meant an early start!

Room Tip: Go for the Hunting Room, Yard/Groom room or the Boot Room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KateofNewbury
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We have been waiting for a lovely day to visit this lovely looking Inn. It has been beautifully refurbished and the rooms look lovely.
We had 2 excellent large glasses of Cairanne white and decided to look at the menu.
We were aware there seemed to be a staffing issue and confusion with 3 young staff standing around unsure what to do .

My husband had the ploughman's which came with honey roast ham which was missing and we had to ask for it . I had a smoked salmon & cream cheese sandwich - which were large doorsteps with dry crusts and weren't brilliant .
The manager does ask people if the food is good we explained ours wasn't marvellous, then we discussed the lovely wine we were drinking.
He seems a caring guy, but he is on a losing battle with inexperienced staff which was so obvious to us.
This is such a shame if the food was good and service better we would love to eat there again.
We would go back for a drink as the village is so beautiful. We hope things improve

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Last night I ate, drank and slept at the Maytime Inn with two friends - we had not been together for over 20years, so quite an occasion and thankfully we chose a splendid venue ! Everything was excellent and all to a high specification. The friendliness of the staff and the tasteful decor throughout created a great ambience - complimented by excellent service and scrummy food. Well worth a visit - see you again.

Room Tip: All rooms are of equal high standard
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We took advantage of the Bank Holiday weekend and stayed at the Maytime Inn yet again. It has become a favourite place of ours to escape to since it was taken over by Dom last year. The bedroom we stayed in was clean and modern, as well as extremely comfortable and tastefully refurbished too. My compliments to the chef(s) - as always, the food was exquisite, fresh, locally sourced and cooked to perfection - a diner's delight!

On each of our visits Dom and his staff were very pleasant and accommodating and they've always gone that extra mile to ensure we enjoy our stay. That's why we love going back there whenever we can and will continue to.

Thanks everyone at the Maytime for making our visits such a wonderful experience. This place is a lovely little gem!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My Daughter-in-Law, Granddaughter and myself visited the Maytime yesterday, 5th May, for Sunday lunch. They had never been before but I had many times before the 'takeover'. The actual property is, as it always was after the flood, absolutely lovely and they were not disappointed.

I have read the Reviews of previous customers and wonder which Maytime they had visited. From a food point of view it is nothing like it was under the previous owners. Then the food was sublime, the service second to none and attention to detail perfect. Yesterday we were served with food which was BURNT - both the Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes - and all root vegetables served roasted instead of steamed or boiled so it was very greasy! The meat served was cooked very well. The service left a lot to be desired. Waiting 20 minutes for someone to collect your order, clear the table, order dessert and wait again for it to be served is unacceptable.

When the previous owners were there they were actually present and spoke to their clients. The Maitre de spent the whole time behind the bar dispensing drinks for customers and was very approachable. The present 'owner' disappeared almost immediately never to be seen again! The food served was perfect and did not come 'plated up', a variety of vegetables was always served separately so we could serve ourselves with as much or as little as we wished.

Your staff leave a lot to be desired. The young and inexperienced staff had no finesse and were seldom around. Their clothes were disgraceful particularly as this establishment used to have the reputation of high quality and service. It is called standards!

I did speak to a very pleasant French gentleman who listened gratiously to our complaints. Next to our table was a large table of 10 to 11 people and they too were complaining of similar things to us.

I just wonder if the present owner visited the Maybush before purchasing it to see how a high quality restaurant was run and how their staff worked together. Whoever your Chef is, and I am pretty sure it is not the original one, should take a refresher course, no Chef would serve burnt food to his customers ever!

Just to add insult to injury, and I should have checked this before I left, I was charged for 3 glasses of wine when I only had two - I was driving!! And why was I asked 'would you like a small, medium or large glass' never have I been asked this question before anywhere, 'would you like a large or small glass, Madam' is the normal question when ordering wine in my experience! Two glass sizes only!

We had two 2-course meals and one 3-course meal, one Gin and Tonic and two glasses of Chardonnay. I have been charged £5.75 per glass for wine (I opted for medium) and £2.25 for Gin and £1.10 for Tonic.

After you have read this ReviewI am sure you too will wonder which Maytime your previous Reviewers visited. My friends and I have dined at the Maytime many times in the past as it was a great favourite of ours but I am afraid we will not be visiting again which I find quite sad!

I am sure this will not appear on your 'Comments' page - it takes a special person to accept criticism as well as praise.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank EmmaGlynn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
#1 of 6 in Broadway
Cotswold Gateway Hotel
Cotswold Gateway Hotel
#5 of 8 in Burford

Been to The Maytime Inn? Share your experiences!