“Like sleeping on a cloud...”
Review of The Maytime Inn

The Maytime Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have never been so disappointed at arriving late at a hotel as I was with this Cotswold nugget of isolated loveliness. Snuggled in the depths of a village I have never been to and one you'd never just 'land up' in, the Maytime is a contemporary conversion of what seems to have been a stables or barn back in the day and which has been painstakingly resurrected to maintain all its original charm and feel while adding flashes of contemporary design and comfort that would best befit a boutique hotel anywhere in the world. The owner didn't bat an eyelid at my tardy arrival time (10pm) and had already arranged for me to have a flask of cold milk for my hot chocolate/tea and the booking log all ready to complete. As I was leaving before breakfast in the morning (as were my neighbours in the ajoining room) he asked whether I would like some fresh fruit and bread in my room that night to save for the morning as there would be no-one around at that time to provide room service (how lovely and quaint!!). Although to be fair the fruit was quite limited and not particularly ripe, the thought was there which for me was what counted.

The room was beautifully arranged with an incredible eye for detail and luxury which took me by surprise. Meticulous and well decked out with funiture, mirrors and antiquities that were very befitting to the style and age of the building, the shower was heavenly (once I had worked out how to use it!) and the bed was like sleeping in a cloud. Quite possibly the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Air-light duvet and plumped pillows bedecked in crisp cotton - a true haven of peace, comfort and tranquility. My only niggle was that the bathroom air vents made a real racket at certain times of night/early morning when other rooms were using them (I turned mine off...) but that's a small negative and one solveable by maybe the owner putting a courtesy note in each room pointing out the vent 'off' switch for nighttime use...

I just wish I didn't live so close so can't find a legitimate reason to stay over again! Fabulous!

Room Tip: I firmly believe that each room will be furnished and maintained to the same exacting high standards...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank emsie72

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Tucked away in the perfect little village of Astill, this inn is great! Lovely room, good bed, fabulous shower and beautifully furnished, what more could you want? How about excellent service, great food and plenty of parking? One of the best.

Room Tip: Saddle room is lovely and large.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at the maytime on fri 23rd May and it is truly our little piece of heaven. We
Have been coming to The Cotswolds for 30 years and believe we have found the most
Idyllic spot there. The Maytime is quite simply the most wonderful place to stay, the staff are very
Friendly and always have time for a chat which these days is quite rare ! You are always made
To feel at home and the owner Dominic is a lovely young man and has done a great job in transforming
The Maytime since taking it over a couple of years ago,the decor is fab classic with a modern twist,
And the bedrooms soooo cosy and chic. We run a gardening business and are impressed with
How the once tired courtyard is now very vibrant and a great place to sit and relax with a drink.
We simply cannot wait to get back down to Asthall and visit the Maytime and we think you
Should too. Oh and the breakfast is very yummy !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We found this hotel by mistake and what a great place to stay. Very quiet and peaceful and excellent rooms and meals. I stayed in the Hunter Room that was as good as any hotel room I have stayed in.Excellent Wi-Fi great food and service in a beautiful small English village. Will be back again when next in the UK.

Room Tip: Theme rooms are excellent by the car park.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We went here for my birthday recently, and everything was very good. The pub has been beautifully decorated; the bar in particular has a vaulted ceiling which makes the place very light and airy but still has a pub feel to it.

Food is great - very much gastropub style but among the best pub food I've had. The scotch egg stuffed with black pudding that came with the pigs head terrine was a revelation. The wine list is pretty good, and very reasonable - several bottles < £30, and many offered by the glass.

The room was not large, but very nicely decorated with a comfortable bed and very luxurious bathroom.

All in all very nice and really good value. My wife paid so I don't know exactly how much it cost but I think dinner bed and breakfast was probably less than when I took her to l'Ortolan on her birthday just for dinner, and this was much more enjoyable.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Although a little off the beaten track a lovely relaxing, tranquil place to stay with very easy access to Burford, if you have a car. Beautiful decor, spotlessly clean and the bed was so comfortable. We stayed in the Boot Room and although not huge, best use has been made of the space and there are lots of nooks and crannies which add to the character. The bathroom is however large and really nice.
The restaurant and bar are very good and the food is excellent. A special thanks to David (waiter and barman). Nothing is too much trouble for him and do ask him to talk you through the cheeseboard if you eat in the restaurant!
There are some good walks in the area and I would also recommend a visit to Burford Garden Centre.
We definitely plan to return to the Maytime when we next visit the Cotswolds.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carolynantics
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the yard & groom room which was rather small but not too bad as we were only there for two nights but my daughter was in The Boot room next door and was quite a bit bigger. Food and service superb. nothing was too much trouble. It was a couple of miles outside Burford but if you have a car then not a problem, in fact it was lovely to be out in the country lanes . perfect location for visting all the sites around . we will be back .

• Stayed: April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
#1 of 6 in Broadway
Cotswold Gateway Hotel
Cotswold Gateway Hotel
#5 of 8 in Burford

Been to The Maytime Inn? Share your experiences!