All reviews boot room hunting room tack room homemade shortbread the pub bottle of fresh milk gin selection underfloor heating small village an ice bucket comfortable bed evening meal and breakfast off the beaten track couple of nights great shower an overnight stay lovely touch
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A lovely out of the way place to stay, quiet and set in a beautiful location in the Cotswolds. Great as a base for walking and to return to for fabulous food and drinks.

If you’re partial to gin, then they have over 100 and if you like an ale, there are several to choose from.

A relaxed atmosphere, one in which you’re not rushed, so if you’re someone who wants to be fussed over and have everything now now now, then find somewhere else.

This lovely location is about taking your time, being relaxed and NOT rushed.

Food is great, staff are lovely and so all in all, just great.

Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

I stayed at The Maytime on Business recently. I stay away on business every week and generally try to stay in recognised brand hotels as I know what I’m getting but Burford is left with very few/if any of these so I settled for a guesthouse that was rated #1 in Burford on Trip Advisor.

As a lone, female traveller I was surprised to find that when I checked in I was put in a room that had only the entrance to the bedroom door as locked protection from the main road (and as far as I was concerned potential intruders) - the “Yard & Groom Room” (picture attached).

I got over it, I’m a big girl and I was exhausted. The room and bathroom was very quaint and nicely decorated. However all windows had been left open - again this made me feel unsafe so I closed them and hoped it wasn’t because the heating was on! However, I assume they had been open a while as I spent most of my night with the local flies. Not something I could do anything about. As I used the bathroom I noticed a distinct smell of urine (either that or a terrible smelling diffuser) and as I showered I found the supplied shower gel was “hand wash”. I then noticed the hand wash on the sink opposite was in fact the “shower gel” (Perhaps the cleaner got confused).

The bed was super comfy and I was asleep very quickly. All of the above so far I could “get over”. Not the best start but I was prepared to accept sometimes these things just happen.

However, I was woken up at 6am by the person in the room next door leaving. Not ideal but not the hotel’s fault. I soon realised (after next door came in and out of the door 4 times in 1hr) that perhaps I was actually staying next door to someone who worked at the hotel. I counted a further 8 times in and out between 7am-9am. At this point I am convinced this was not a guest and I was definitely not sleeping in.

A little grumpy I went for breakfast, which was delicious, a little slow but I had my complimentary continental breakfast to snack on - lovely touch. I guess the flies knew all about these treats as I spent most of my time at breakfast swatting my own head and body trying to get rid of my flighty neighbours.

My main review here is that I think there is just “something” missing from this hotel. Consideration perhaps. Don’t put a lone female in a potentially unsecured room, be aware that old buildings smell and therefore nice diffusers are needed (rather than urine smelling ones), and don’t place business guests next to staff working at the hotel that are going to come in and out of a room with a large heavy wooden door 12 times from 6am-9am. I arrived late, I was exhausted, the last thing I wanted was to be woken at 6am - perhaps I was sleeping lighter than usual due to being nervous about the lack of security. Who knows!

Oh and something completely out of your control but worth mentioning - the hotel is built in a big black hole, although good WiFi there is absolutely no phone signal whatsoever in any part of the hotel (at least not for o2 or Vodafone).

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Where to start with the complements. Location is just lovely - fab little quiet hamlet. When I win the lottery this is where I’ll buy a house. Then I might have a chance to work my way through their 120 different gins! Dinner was tasty, service perfect, the room a bit small but nicely decorated - great to have a bath and shower. Breakfast amazing! HUGE!! Better go buy a lotto ticket.

2  Thank Brentknolltraveller
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed for one night in the yard and groom room. The room was small but perfectly thought out. There were many lovely touches such as homemade short bread, fresh milk in an ice bucket. Also the whole building smelt fantastic! Had a lovely evening meal and fantastic breakfast the next morning. I will definitely book here next time I visit the Cotswolds.

Reviewed 3 September 2018

We had a great time at Maytime. Our GPS literally could not locate the hotel, and we finally had to just look for a route to Asthall, a very small and charming village outside Burford where the hotel was then not difficult to find on the main street (which looks about the same as every street in the village so hard to miss!). Our Yard & Groom room was very comfortable, just at the side of the hotel entrance, very quaint building, great bathroom and nice touches on bathroom amenities. The staff were very welcoming, even giving us a small bottle of delicious fresh milk on arrival (first time we ever had that!), and dinner was superb: the mackerel pate was truly unique and so good we had it again the following night, my lamb and my wife’s steak were both very memorable, with portions so large that we could not even consider dessert. Breakfast too was a delight, starting with fresh fruits and yogurt, pastries and breads, and then a full English breakfast selection, which pretty much obviated the need for lunch for us (and allowed us to indulge in afternoon cream teas instead!).
The hotel is extremely well situated for touring all the key Cotswolds towns, and the hotel garden and surrounding streets made coming home in the late afternoon a real delight for ending the day with a sit-down and a stroll. Will definitely return next trip and will recommend to anyone wanting to tour that area.

Room Tip: Yard and Groom
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple