“Loved it.”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Woodland Hills, CA
“Loved it.”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We loved it. The room and bathroom were clean, comfortable and had all the appliances. The restaurant serves fabulous food. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel is right on the high street with all the shopping. We will come back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My boyfriend took me to Burford to celebrate our anniversary and he booked a superior room at the Bull.

Frankly I can see why people like it, it's really old school, and the staff are very friendly but personally I just felt that it was more an older couple type of place rather than a 30 something.

Our room was big enough but just felt like a granny's bedroom with plastic flowers in the otherwise stunning stone fireplace and dated decor. Another thing I didn't like about it was that despite us staying two nights, we were given a room on the first floor at the front of the building, which meant no privacy whatsoever as anyone in the street could see in your room, although I am not sure whether my boyfriend had purposely booked it as it was the nicest.

Breakfast was really nice, dinner a little bit weird. You can see they are trying to compete with the all the other amazing gastropubs in the Cotswold by trying to be trendy but the execution was quite dodgy (I personally have never seen a piece of fish with so much foam on it, resting on risotto next to a load of salad on the same plate??? weird).

The lack of atmosphere and the decor made this place not really right for me, although I am sure that less picky and possibly more mature couples would enjoy staying at The Bull very much.

I

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We had a wonderful couple of nights here at this bijoux hotel right in the middle of the High Street. Everything is on your doorstep - shops, restaurants, beautiful views and lovely places to walk. It is a very friendly hotel where the staff really care about you and nothing is too much trouble. From the welcoming, warm fire as you step through the door, to the creaking, sloping floors with wood panelling on the walls and beams on the ceiling, everything about it is cosy and full of history and charm.

My sister-in-law and niece (from America) stayed in a standard room which was well furnished and of a good size. I was initially shown a "small double" on the top floor which was too far away from them and seemed a bit uninviting so I upgraded to a superior room (they had no standard rooms left) and was given the very large Trafalgar Room. This had a lounge area with open stone fireplace and a modern, bright bathroom. It is worth upgrading if you can.

The food was delicious and beautifully served with many innovative ideas. At the time we went it was rather quiet and the service a bit slow but we much preferred that to being in a noisy atmosphere and being rushed. The restaurant is definitely a place to visit whether you're staying in the hotel or not.

If you want a quiet, small hotel away from the hustle and bustle but in the centre of things, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Lamoille, Nevada
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My daughter and I had a wonderful, cozy room with a luxurious, private bath and a view out the back door of the lovely Cotswolds countryside. You have to enjoy authentic, old hotels to like this place. The reviewers who did not give it a good rating must be into the Marriott experience. The food is also wonderful and the staff very helpful and accommodating. This is a great place to enjoy the Cotswolds.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I have just come home after spending 3 nights in the most wonderful and friendly hotel. We wanted a restful break, and that is what we got. On arrival Jean-Marie and Clare made us very welcome indeed, and also our dog Patch. (Really good that this hotel is Dog Fiendly) We stayed in Room 1 Churchill, and what was really nice was the 4 Poster bed, although it was at the top of the hotel, and had I mentioned when booking that we were both a tad elderly, we might have had a lower room, which we will ask for next time. Being an old building, the floor are slightly sloping, but that adds to the charm. Meals were really excellent, both the evening dinner and breakfast. This is a hotel that can be recommended even if you are not staying here. The staff were friendly and helpful, and I do hope that Jean-Marie obtains planning permission for 2 extra rooms in the ancient barn

Room Tip: Perhaps for the elderly,the Charles 1st Room was like mountaineering, but we did make it!, so sis th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

What I do not clearly understand is quite how this particular venue is number one on TripAdvisor, were my wife and I missing something, did we go to a parralel Buford, sadly I suspect not. You always get what you pay for in this life and this is not the most expensive of the many hotels in my reviews over the last many years but there are far less expensive and better equipped out there to choose from.
The staff here seemed all very friendly in the main but there was a certain lack of ambience in the establishment, the restaurant either for breakfast or an evening meel lacked any "feeeling" at all, you could hear a pin drop here, let alone the footfalls in the rooms above or indeed any other persons conversation. Perhaps they are cutting back on costs and not paying the PRS licence, but canned birdsong and waterfalls come free don't they?
Having said that the food in the restaurant was in my mind verging on distasteful and the "Bouillabaise" I was served had nothing in common with it's Marseilles cousin, uncooked and nothing like the taste.it should have had. I was not surprised to hear someone complaining at checkout that they had felt ill throughout the night after eating it.
The room we had was on the top floor and perhaps with the secondary glazing fully in place some of the street noise might have been less, that is if you want to be stiffled all night in a small room. In summer this room would me unusable without some ventilation so you would have to suffer the normal street and traffic noise.
The room could have done with updating as could the "swing a cat" bathroom of which a bathroom door that closed properly without moving the partition wall would be nice.
Do not bring a large car here if you want to avail yourself of the off street parking as you will be frustrated. Best use the free street parking. Also with our Prime Minister living fairly locally the is not too much in the way of crime.
Should I return I would try for a much better room no matter the cost. But !!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank BaddyPurt
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had an overnight stay at The Bull and have nothing but praise for the beautiful character of the hotel, and the fantastic food and service.
We had hoped for an historic hotel, full of charm, and were certainly not disappointed. It is a wonderfully quaint place, in a fantastic location. But what we couldn't have expected was such a high standard restaurant. It would be hard to differentiate dining at The Bull from far more expensive, high profile establishments. This extended from the food through to the immensely professional staff. Definitely not what we expected in "sleepy" Burford, but after chatting with the wonderfully enthusiastic French owners (although I think the wife might be English), and learning of his restaurant/hotel experience, perhaps it makes sense.
Go there !

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mette M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
#3 of 23 in Cheltenham
Burford House
Burford House
#7 of 8 in Burford

Been to The Bull at Burford? Share your experiences!