“October, 2011 Tour of the Cotswalds”

The Bull at Burford
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Calgary, Canada
“October, 2011 Tour of the Cotswalds”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed four nites at "The Bull" and had a wonderfull time. The meals were excellent, and the room was very comfortable. The Manager/Maitre'd provided first class service and was always very helpfull. The parking at the rear was very handy. We look forward to our next visit.

Rob and Wendy McNaughton

Room Tip: We booked thru hotels.com
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We booked in here last minute after walking out of the travelodge up the road. Lovely hotel, full of character, very helpful and friendly staff. Food was excellent cannot fault it at all. Would recommend

• Stayed March 2012
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Once again I find myself writing a glowing review for this lovely hotel. My wife and I stayed here from the 21st to the 23rd of March, for the second part of our tour of the South, having previously been to Tewkesbury for a couple of days.
We took advantage of M. Lauzier's Winter Warmer offer of two nights half board for £199. We opted for an upgrade to a superior room (The Market Room...it is huge but supremely comfortable AND easily accessible) for an extra £50.
The menu was, again, superb. For breakfast try the sticky muesli or the porridge with apples and sultanas to start with; follow this up with the breakfast grill or the smoked salmon. M. Lauzier also lays on copious measures of good coffee and tea.
The evening menu is a gourmet's delight. I'll not wax too lyrical at this point, save to say I didn't know rhubarb could taste so good! Check out the menu on the hotel's website to see what I mean.
Of course a meal is only as good as the people who serve it, and in this instance we were not let down. M. Lauzier works in the restaurant along with a very efficient, cheerful, and knowledgeable young waiter called Courage.
We're already planning to return to the Bull later this year. Thanks to all who made our stay so good!

Room Tip: Ask for the Market Room. There's only one flight of stairs to negotiate and the room is immense...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My partner and I spent two nights at this lovely Pub/Inn in Burford. We are both in our mid 20's and wanted to have a weekend stay-cation somewhere different. We are so glad that we picked this place! Our host's Jean - Marie and Clare were immediately very welcoming, and this continued throughout our stay.
I am Coeliac, therefore cannot eat wheat or gluten, and this was no problem. I informed them at the time of my booking and I was fully catered for. The chef seemed to have an endless supply of gluten free bread to accompany the excellent breakfasts! Clare even kindly refrigerated my rice milk for me as I can't have dairy!
At short notice they were able to provide a four-poster bed for us, and they have a secure car park at the back of the property.
Work commitments meant that we couldn't stay more than two days, but we plan to be back and will definitely be staying longer next time.
The Bull at Burford is in a wonderful location, it never seemed to take more than twenty minutes to drive to the places that were on our list to visit. And Burford itself has nice walking paths, and a high street with everything you need.
A huge thanks to our host's, the chef for the lovely evening meal, (we ate out on our second night) and to Courage, the extremely polite and helpful waiter.

Room Tip: Ask for a four poster bed :)
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

A warm welcome awaited us at the Bull. We had a superior room which was enormous with a large bathroom. The Hotel is centrally placed which made shopping trips essential! I can thoroughly recommend the restaurant the waiter Courage was particularly attentive and most efficient. Mine host took our orders for dinner which was absolutely delicious the home made bread served in the evening and at breakfast was amazing. Nothing was too much trouble even down to recommending sites of interest and local walks. We shall definitely return for another visit as it afforded the most amazing value for money.

Room Tip: Choose a back or side room on the first floor for a quiet nights sleep plus better water pressure!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sheila M
Woodland Hills, CA
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We loved it. The room and bathroom were clean, comfortable and had all the appliances. The restaurant serves fabulous food. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel is right on the high street with all the shopping. We will come back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My boyfriend took me to Burford to celebrate our anniversary and he booked a superior room at the Bull.

Frankly I can see why people like it, it's really old school, and the staff are very friendly but personally I just felt that it was more an older couple type of place rather than a 30 something.

Our room was big enough but just felt like a granny's bedroom with plastic flowers in the otherwise stunning stone fireplace and dated decor. Another thing I didn't like about it was that despite us staying two nights, we were given a room on the first floor at the front of the building, which meant no privacy whatsoever as anyone in the street could see in your room, although I am not sure whether my boyfriend had purposely booked it as it was the nicest.

Breakfast was really nice, dinner a little bit weird. You can see they are trying to compete with the all the other amazing gastropubs in the Cotswold by trying to be trendy but the execution was quite dodgy (I personally have never seen a piece of fish with so much foam on it, resting on risotto next to a load of salad on the same plate??? weird).

The lack of atmosphere and the decor made this place not really right for me, although I am sure that less picky and possibly more mature couples would enjoy staying at The Bull very much.

I

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,136 reviews

Been to The Bull at Burford? Share your experiences!