“Excellent Food,poor service and poor accomadation”

The Bull at Burford
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Bull last weekend. We booked bed and breakfast for 2 nights and Dinner on the Sunday. On checking in we told the owner the room needed cleaning, she responded by saying it was cleaned this morning. It was very dusty, hadn't been vacumed,the bathroom need cleaning there was half used shower gel in the bath, the windows looked as though they hadn't been cleaned for months both inside and out. The room needs a deep clean. The lighting in the room is very poor and the bed very uncomfortable, it is a four-poster bed with slats, you can feel the wooden slats through the mattress. The food at Breakfast and Dinner was very good, but the service terrible! Sunday evening there were 2 members of staff to serve in the bar, take orders and wait on the tables. We were just about to walk out as we waited so long for our food order to be taken, and we would have had more drinks if we could have ordered them! They seriously need to get more staff in all areas and spend so time and money cleaning and improving the décor and bathrooms in the rooms. We stayed in room 4

Room Tip: The rooms either face the main road, so noisy they do provide ear plugs! or alternatively they overl...

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We chose The Bull because it was one of the top-rated small hotels in the area of the Cotswolds that we were planning to see. I'm so glad we did!
It's a small hotel where you feel at home immediately. It looks and feels just like what we imagined a "real" Cotswold house to be. We slept in the Market room which faced the side of the house. Spacious, comfortable, quiet and spotless. Really liked that there were cookies (replenished daily) on the coffee/tea tray. Nice toiletries. The staff was extremely gracious and welcoming. Our dinners were included in the price of the room and were excellent. My only problem was with the shower which had good water pressure but inconsistent temperature control.
Would definitely recommend The Bull and would love to go back.

Room Tip: The Market room is a huge room that faces the side of the hotel and has no street noise.
Reviewed 27 March 2014

On this occasion I was travelling on my own and can highly recommend the hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful and the atmosphere 'cosy' and relaxing. Food was lovingly presented with attention to detail. I was there for three days and slept well on a very comfortable bed; however,the breakfasts were such that they enticed you from your bed so as to get down there and 'tuck-in'. There was something to suit all tastes: continental or a full English, fish, cheeses, cold meats, eggs, home made jams and muesli and 'proper' honey on a comb . . . . And then there was dinner! All good! Jean-Marie and Clare are very charming hosts wanting nothing more than for their guests to enjoy their stay with them - I certainly did.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I have been looking forward to returning to The Bull for a while now, having last visited Burford a couple of years ago and found this gem. I'm pleased to report it was every bit as good as I remembered. I believe the room I stayed in this time was a new addition to the hotel, situated in an old barn, and it was adorable. A special bonus for me was that, having just had a knee operation I was able to stumble from car straight into my room without stairs (I'm not wheelchair bound, just on crutches, but I think the room could be used by a wheelchair user, which is probably unusual for a town with such old buildings). I must have looked particularly pathetic with my wobbly knee because the lovely staff were so sweet, going out of their way to ensure I didn't struggle- it was appreciated not only by me but also by my better half, happy for me to stop moaning for a while and relax. The room was wonderfully peaceful and the four poster bed super comfy- a real treat! Now I need another excuse to book my next visit....

Room Tip: One of the new rooms if you want the ground floor. Or the Trafalgar if it's character you're...
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We went to the Bull for the first time last year with the kids - interconnecting rooms - when it was recommended to us by friends and enjoyed it so much that we said straight away we'd go back to the area, which is lovely, and stay - and eat - at the Bull. This time without the kids!
The staff are really friendly and it's family-run so you get a nice vibe. The log fire's always on when it needs to be, there's a cute little bar to have a drink and our room was great with a comfy mattress and all the old charm you'd expect from such an old Cotswold building.
The real surprise, though, comes when you sit down to a meal in the restaurant. We had been looking at eating elsewhere but were again glad we didn't. The food is a revelation, mostly locally-sourced and cooked and presented with real class. Definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: the market room was nice - and big - but we upgraded to a four-poster. one of the four-posters int...
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My partner and I returned to The Bull, and once again had an excellent time. Just for one night, in a beautiful room, we enjoyed an amazing dinner and breakfast. I was pleased that when for breakfast, I only fancied eggs on toast, they were happy to accommodate (I'm also super fussy about my eggs) and I was glad to see the delicious home-made muesli was still on the menu! We will be back in the summer - and for longer next time!

Room Tip: I chatted to the manager about new rooms they've built, sneaked a peek, they look really nice.
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I wish the Bull was nearer so it could be my local eating place! I found it very reasonable when I went for lunch with a girlfriend recently. Their homemade fishcakes are the best I've had.
We stayed the night a few months ago to break the journey to Gatwick for an early flight and were lucky and given the Market Room (definitely must be their best room) although a girlfriend coming with us also had a lovely room. The boss is a hoot - very French!

Room Tip: It's worth paying a bit more and having the Market Room, it's gorgeous.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family