“Lovely Experience”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Burford
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed at The Bull on the recommendation of friends, and weren't disappointed. Although it is a very old inn (16th Century I think) we stayed in one of the newly modernised stable rooms, which are excellently appointed, and still full of character. So the accommodation was great, but it was the quality of the restaurant that was the big surprise - very varied choice, with really imaginative, high quality dishes, and prepared to a far higher standard than we could hope for in a small country town. The level of service matched the food, both in the evening and at breakfast (I would suggest going just for the breakfast - it was a vast choice and beautifully prepared). Would wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone seeking a relaxing stay with a top quality restaurant)

1 Thank Edward M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We had two, one course evening bar meals and opted to sit in the lovely quiet (except it is also Le Patron's lair) bar which had a welcoming log fire and entertaining view of the street.

The plaice the first night was whole, looked huge but actually didn't have much flesh on it. What there was was very nicely cooked though with good tartare sauce.

Ham and eggs the second night, the eggs were fine but the ham a very big disappointment! We really expected good, hand carved ham off the bone in an establishment like this but were served micro thin slices that could have come straight from a cheap supermarket vacuum pack, literally, they hadn't even been peeled apart.

The two waitresses were very warm, friendly and attentive though and overall it wasn't terribly expensive.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

The lobster is small but the taste is not too bad. But I really feel disappointed the main course for the sea food. They use Japanese sea food but the taste is horrible. The price £44 I paid is very disappointed. Trust me if you buy the £44 sea food of the Groupon you will feel disappointed like me. I haven't tried other dishes but only the Groupon offer £44 sea food of the restaurant. I know the sea food is the new course of the restaurant. I hope my review will help you. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Went in today for lunch and the quality of food, cleanliness and service was superb. My wife had the burger which she said was the best she has had. My fish was fresh and tartar sauce was fresh. My daughter eat everything! Well done. The only thing I wish for here is cask ale on draught and not by bottle.

Stayed April 2014
Carterton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Wanted something special for my wife and I, as we are on our own with young childreen and no one to keep them if we want to go out. We were not desappointed on the quality of the food which was exceptional. The service was of a good standard when around and that was the problem. We have been forgotten on 3 occasions with no one on sight for at least 20mn. No one never asked if we wanted another drink. Someone appologised but still, we were expecting much better for the standard. Our table was booked for 7h15 had a 3 course meal but did not get out before nearly 10h. Without this incident, I would have happily given 5 stars for the restaurant.
Philippe ROBERT

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We turned up a bit late, and the staff were accomadating. The hotel is very unique, we great character. The floors slope, and the decor is classic. It has a homely but professional relaxed feel. The professional Service was excellent.

I liked the style and the character. However the hotel was not made for the business users.

Mildly comfortable beds. Some interesting tapestry but perhaps aimed at older people. My room was so hot that I awoke in the night but was unable to open the main window, It had been adjusted so that I was unable to escape my infernal toture. My only option was to air out the room from the toilet window.

Breakfast started at 8am, but our business started at 8am. We were offered some fruit to take with us, which was good, but I was dissappointed that I didn't get to try the well reviewed food.

It would have been a great place for leisure, had that been my purpose at the hotel, it would have been awarded higher. The breakfast time, the heat/window and the creaky 'good old days' furniture brought down the overall review.

Room Tip: Leisure = great must visit. Business = maybe somewhere elkse in Witney.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Knutsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Bull last weekend. We booked bed and breakfast for 2 nights and Dinner on the Sunday. On checking in we told the owner the room needed cleaning, she responded by saying it was cleaned this morning. It was very dusty, hadn't been vacumed,the bathroom need cleaning there was half used shower gel in the bath, the windows looked as though they hadn't been cleaned for months both inside and out. The room needs a deep clean. The lighting in the room is very poor and the bed very uncomfortable, it is a four-poster bed with slats, you can feel the wooden slats through the mattress. The food at Breakfast and Dinner was very good, but the service terrible! Sunday evening there were 2 members of staff to serve in the bar, take orders and wait on the tables. We were just about to walk out as we waited so long for our food order to be taken, and we would have had more drinks if we could have ordered them! They seriously need to get more staff in all areas and spend so time and money cleaning and improving the décor and bathrooms in the rooms. We stayed in room 4

Room Tip: The rooms either face the main road, so noisy they do provide ear plugs! or alternatively they overl...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,104 reviews

Been to The Bull at Burford? Share your experiences!