All reviews the pub great barrington windrush river beer garden groupon deal full english main bar sunny day real ale evening meal relaxing stay cotswold stone short break couple of nights lovely room well worth a visit breakfast was excellent
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for a charming English pub experience this is not it. The rooms are tired and dirty - we had cobwebs and the windows were thick with mould. The grounds are tatty and the service grudging. This is the only place in years where we have been asked "cooked breakfast" and then one appears! No question of choice or information yet it was delicious and used very good quality local produce. Such a water opportunity to promote the area. Shall not return

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dwooda
Reviewed 26 September 2017

You only have to read the other reviews. Such a shame because it is in a lovely setting and with some TLC could be great. The room was ok but staffing , food and messy exterior were depressing. Very very overpriced when compared to what we booked into next which was total luxury for an extra £40!!

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I'd been looking forward to staying here but was quite disappointed. When I arrived, the landlady was talking to a local and tapping away on her laptop. It took her several minutes to say that she'd be with me in a minute - then proceeded to carry on chatting for another few minutes. She is not terribly friendly, in fact I would say "not a people persn" at all. If you're going to be in this business you need to be able to engage with people, surely? So that didn't bode well.

The room itself was in the mews at the side of the pub, which was good as it meant you didn't get so much of the traffic noise - for a small hamlet with a tiny road, it gets quite busy at times. There is a reasonably sized car park outside.

The room itself was adequate but not exactly huge. The furniture was a mish mash of "shabby chic" and what looked like cheap wooden shelves. There were no draws where you could store undies etc - I would have thought they could fit one in under the shelf where the hospitality tray was. Speaking of which, please get a decent kettle - the very cheap kettle took about 5 minutes to boil which was very annoying. The TV was very small and the wifi signal rather inconsistent and kept dropping out. Although on the whole quite clean, there were bits on the floor that were throughout my stay. There was no headboard and the wall was rather large chunks of Cotswold Stone (I think) so not very comfortable to sit up in bed. The bed itself was very hard - I woke up about every two hours feeling very stiff and sore.

The bathroom was okay, though no bath, just a shower. You did need to pull the blind down, even to go to the loo, as the glass isn't obscured and it is overlooked by the beer garden. They did, however, have a very good selection of complimentary toiletries.

The dining room is a little cramped. The food is okay but a little overpriced, and the drinks are very expensive - £3 for a pint of lime and soda! (I pay just over £1 for the same drink at my regular hotel in Cornwall). Service again wasn't particulary friendly.

Breakfast was lovely the first day, perfect for me, but not quite so good on the second day. The third day was disastrous. The chap that took the order obviously didn't lesten to a word I said and I ended up with items I asked not to have, and it wasn't well done as I'd requested. Also, we could hear a lot of shouting coming from the kitchen, which is not very professional.

It probably sounds all bad - it isn't. I would have given it a "Good" rating but it is definitely not worth a "Very Good" rating.

It's such a shame, this could be a wonderful place. It's a traditional old inn in an idyllic situation nestled in a bend of the River Windrush, overlooking fields. However it just all seems tired and a bit run down. The main thing though, apart from a refurbishment, and a bit of a clean up, is that they need to become more friendly and customer-aware.

Room Tip: Ask for a mews room as they are quieter
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Paula B
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Very poor looking hotel. Looked like a 2-3 star hotel!! There is a pub in front which is a bit sad looking. The rooms are OK size but facilities are poor. TV was a super mini size and poor quality one!! There are some cheap instant coffee sachets. Breakfast is also nothing special. Just OK. One major issue. A large smelly dog running around the dining area which is illegal in the U.K? This dog was smelly!!
Another issue was that each room was almost £180 per room which was far far over priced for what it is. It is only worth £70-£90 per night if you ask me. Will never use this place again. Also very poor at welcoming their guests!!

Room Tip: Waste of money and time. Stay if you really have to.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2017

We were attending a wedding close by and this accommodation was suggested on the invitation as somewhere to stay. It was obvious when we arrived that the owners do not value this part of their business. The Bartender was checking us in between bar customers, she was not overly welcoming and the bar area was tatty by any country pub standards. Nevertheless we were shown to our room which apparently was a Mews room and therefore commanded a higher rate of £180pn. The first thing I noticed was the loft hatch was open and remained open for the duration of our stay despite being told by the lady that she would get someone to close it. The beige carpet had a thick line of black grime all the way round the edge of the entire room, the curtains were filthy, and tea and coffee ring marks were uncleaned on the bedside tables. One major problem with this room (the one pictured above), is the fact that you have to close the curtains and blinds whilst in the room as it is overlooked from every window. Unfortunately one of the blinds was broken and so I had a job to close it. No hairdryer is in the room so my husband had to go back to the bar to ask for one. The bathroom, despite the tatty peeling plaster and make-shift shower curtain, which didn't reach around the shower, served us well with plenty of hot water and a reasonable shower.

There is a big matted hairy dog wandering about the place and it made itself at home in the dining room on a sofa during breakfast the next morning. Breakfast was mediocre and we had to go in search of someone to ask for tea and coffee. There was no choice of cooked breakfast, we were just brought a plate through. Outside, the property looks neglected and unkempt. There was a distinct lack of staff, we only saw the owners and one bartender who was there when we got back late from the wedding and a waiter at breakfast, otherwise they are trying to run this place on their own. I honestly feel that they need to seriously review their business if they want it to be successful. This was outrageously expensive for what was offered. We should not have paid more that £100 maximum.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room, look elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends