“Convenient for a night in Burford”
Review of Burford Lodge

Burford Lodge
Ranked #12 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Well located for short walk into Burford, the downside of this is that the hotel is on the main road (A40) so if you're a light sleeper, be sure to request a quiet room at the back as road noise is an issue.

Room comfortable and breakfast OK, could do with a bit of help at busy times as the owner appears to be chef, waiter and receptionist all at the same time. Price is average for the area.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 December 2013

This is the second time we have stayed in Burford Lodge, last year it was a little cold during the early afternoon as the heating didnt come on till 6pm and there was no one around during the evening,although the room was good and the food excellent at breakfast - This year now owned by Mr & Mrs Liu (sorry if wrongly spelt) but the nice atmosphere of this old lodge was even better, and we were greeted nicely and the rooms were all warm and toasty! The breakfast was amazing with plenty of choice this year. Room was extremely clean with plenty of hot water and warm towels The new proprietors were very attentive although not obtrusive. We shall be going back
We generally visit the area at this time of year to visit Bourton on the Water xmas event.

Room Tip: Small lodge all rooms triple glazed as on the edge of the A40 so no room is a problem. Being on a m...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank phil p
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in the middle of November for one night as we were in the area. We received a lovely welcome from the owner who was polite and eager to provide good service. The bedroom was a good size, with a bed which reminded me of bed knobs and broomsticks. The bathroom was once again a good size and came with fluffy towels and toiletries. The bed was comfy and although our bedroom was next to an A road the noise was fine. The room was warm with double glazing and long curtains on the windows. From a female perspective there were 3 mirrors in the room for doing makeup, including one in the bathroom. In the morning we had a cooked breakfast which was really well cooked, I loved the bacon. Once again the owner was welcoming, bringing us the tv remote so we could turn over if we wanted and bringing us Jams and juice. Basically if he thought we might need it he brought it to us before we even had time to realise we needed it. Later on he mentioned he and his wife had taken over ownership two months earlier. I really do wish them all the best and would definitely stay again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Anna64uk
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Our recent stay at the Burford Lodge was a most pleasant experience. The hotel is conveniently situated with easy and ample parking and less than five minutes walk from the lovely village of Burford where we found many good restaurants. There is a public footpath adjacent to the hotel which runs along the side of the golf club and takes you over beautiful landscape. The new owners were more than attentive to their clients needs and made us most welcome. Our room, which was exceedingly clean and cosy, was at the back of the hotel so we did not experience too much traffic noise. The breakfasts were excellent. Would definitely stay at this hotel again when in the area.

Room Tip: "rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter"
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Maggie D
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We have to agree with barbara c's review. We stayed at Burford Lodge for 3 nights and it was an very good choice. We were welcomed by the new owner who was a very friendly gentleman.
Breakfast and rooms was very lovely!! We will certainly return!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lili s
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I'm afraid I have to agree with Bev B's review. I too stayed here within the the first week of the new owners taking over. The new owners were indeed very polite but had no idea how to run a breakfast sitting. My breakfast was awful - certainly not 'award winning' as advertised!!
I stayed here because I'd read that the owners were welcoming and knowledgable about the area, and that the breakfast were fantastic. I was pretty annoyed that the place had been taken over by inexperienced people who didn't know how to cook a breakfast at all, let alone an award winning one. I understand that new owners need time to settle in, but I think I should have been notified that the ownership had changed since my booking so that I could have changed my mind if I so wished. The inexperience of the owners, and mediocre breakfast should also be reflected in the price! It wasn't up to the standard advertised and certainly wasn't worth the price charged.
I hope the new owners do manage to make a success of it, but I certainly won't be rushing back, especially at £115 per night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We are sorry but we have to disagree with the last review !
We arrived at Burford Lodge on Sunday 14th Oct to a very warm welcome from the new owners.
We were shown to our room which was spotless,but rather on the small side with a small bathroom.We went down for breakfast next morning and had a lovely breakfast which was perfectly cooked and very tasty.Nothing was too much trouble and we were constantly asked by the owner if we required more juice coffee etc. As there were not many guests in we asked if there was any larger rooms available.The owner checked and duly showed us to "The Suite" which was to die for ! (at no extra cost) Very large with a sumptuous bathroom. The large bed was extremely comfortable and we spent the next four nights in this beautiful room.The breakfasts were spot on every morning. All in all we had a lovely stay at Burford Lodge and yes the lovely Chinese couple who own it are new to the hospitality business but need to be given a chance !
Nothing was too much trouble and we would certainly return. Good Luck to them !!!

Room Tip: Ask for a large room or even the Suite.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple