“Ignore Erica D - "DO GO HERE!!!"”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #10 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I was at The Royal Oak when Erica D visited and her outburst could quite easily have spoiled my evening having dinner with friends. This lady was rude and dismissive and I was very impressed with how Irish dealt with the situation - he was calm and showed courtesy to all the other people who were in the pub at the same time.

I had an excellent meal (and have eaten here numerous times - never to be disappointed!) I asked for a sweet rose and they served the perfect one. I have also had a glass of Prosecco and I would suggest that Erica D may actually have been drinking the vinegar as this was a delicious fruity and a crispy drink and as far from sour as you could possibly get!

I have never had a bad experience at this pub and always recommend the Royal Oak to friends and family and I always get fantastic reviews back! I would always recommend it to everyone and I suggest you take Erica D's comments with a large pinch of Salt!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Semisonic1985
There are newer reviews for The Royal Oak

Reviewed 1 December 2012

We were visiting Burford last week and had dinner here on one of the nights. This is a small, cosy, dog friendly pub with a friendly welcome. There was a log fire going too. There is a very good menu with a lot of choice. I had the vegetable lasagne with salad and chips and my hubby had the beef chilli and rice. Both meals were delicious and of a decent size. We shared the fruit crumble and custard and were offered extra custard if we wanted it. The host is a very amiable chap and you almost feel like one of the regulars. Would definitely eat here again. It was the best meal we had in Burford.

Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 25 October 2012

A very friendly, welcoming and homely pub with fresh and tasty homecooked food. A nice change from the over priced and stingey servings that you can get in some pubs in the local area! I will definitely be back. I would recommend this pub to couples and families.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank HezzWales
Reviewed 14 October 2012

What better than a hearty lunch after a long walk on a sunny Sunday in October? My wife and I enjoyed an excellent traditional Sunday beef roast at the Royal Oak. Excellent, friendly and courteous service and a mountain of piping hot food. Couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank buckdenbursar
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I stayed one night here. The room was lovely but what I wasn't told was that the gents loos were directly under my room (when I asked I was told it was a bottle store). So until the pub closed there was constant noise from the loo doors open and closing and the hand-dryers. Having said that, the room was lovely and I was very comfortable. I ate in the pub which has a fabulous friendly atmosphere full of locals chatting and playing darts, and the food was excellent. Would I stay there again? Yes, despite the noise as once the pub had closed it was perfect. Breakfast next day was excellent too. And the service was really good. A great place to stay, eat and drink.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Just arrived home after a long week end in Burford. We stayed in a lovely hotel/inn situated in the high street but finding the Royal Oak was a gem. The food is excellent and the presentation superb (without being over the top). The welcome from Jackie and Irish was warm and friendly. The pub has a log fire and wonderful real ales. What more could you want! I would definately recommend this pub to any visitor to the town. Try it out, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Graham and Julie (the quiet welsh couple)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We were looking for a place to spend a couple of nights in the Cotswolds, and after phoning around a couple of other B&Bs locally that were fully booked, we found this pub with a B&B sideline in Trip Advisor. The Royal Oak is well placed, with Burford town centre being only a couple of minutes stroll away.

The pub was buzzing late on the Thursday evening when we arrived as the local darts team were in, but we were able to park (behind the pub in their own car park). We were given a warm welcome and shown directly to our room which was clean and tidy with a comfortable king size bed, tea/coffee making facility, TV and en suite bathroom with a hand held shower (the other room has a double bed and en suite shower room, so take your choice).

We had a choice of time for breakfast and a choice of food. Included in the price were a 'Full English', cereal and toast with tea or coffee. The eggs, sausage and bacon were all locally sourced, well cooked and very tasty! The landlady also happily provides alternatives including meat free on request.

We also enjoyed an evening meal from the pub's comprehensive menu and specials board. They were busy serving food in the evening which also reflects the good quality and reasonable pricing.

The Royal Oak has a good atmosphere (and it's a Wadworth house so their beer is good, too!) There was a small amount of noise from the smokers outside in the garden and the occasional door bang from downstairs but this is to be expected in a pub, and in any case did not disturb us after about 11pm.

In summary the Royal Oak was a very good find and we will stay again when in the area (which by the way is very beautiful, as is the town of Burford).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple